The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

I found a Neoraimondia H at a plant nursery a couple years ago... been in a crappy

mix , store bought with some peat in it, and then added perlite. I may have added worm

castings but im not sure... when I repotted I didn't even break up the root ball and then
I put out in the sun first of last year and one side got scorched lol.. acclimated alot easier

this year tho

anyhow didn't do much the first year... I think just some new spines thats it... was probably 6 inches

when I got it... took off this season tho.. im keeping wet just like trichos... and im keeping my colums

more wet than I did last year, plus the cooler summer temps helps... seems to like it and has put on a

few inches of growth this year so far, but still not that big of a plant at around 10 inches... im gonna

repot into a coir/compost/perlite mix at the end of the season.

lol its growing a bit sideways so I have the pot tilted and dug into the ground so it will

grow straight until I repot eh

• Like 2

Potted up this cactus today.

Trichocereus (pachanoi?)

Trichocereus (pachanoi?)

Trichocereus (pachanoi?)

Trichocereus (pachanoi?)

Purchased off eBay and described as being a San Pedro. It certainly looks like a Pachanoi to me but I'm happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong :blush:.

• Like 3

definitely a pach, should be a nice looking plant once it comes good again

• Like 2

Nice plant, Looks kinda like PC pach but blue-er..

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 2

yeah its got the looks of a PC pachanoi. nice nick btw

the comment on the pic by MrDORight is valid (that some have hypothesised it might be a hybrid between a scopulicola and a bridgesii), but since this clone resembles neither scop or bridgesii, but falls into pachanoi description, its definately more sensible to call it pachanoi.

should pup soon from the base if your in the north hemisphere

==

bought 6 x 50 lilters of commercial soil for my repottings, also fixed some digging tools with new handles

• Like 2

We could annoy the piss out of taxonomists and call the PC clone Echinopsis pachanoides (latin for "well, damnit, it looks like a pachanoi")

• Like 8

I second that idea ^^^ Hehe. :devil:

• Like 2

I would like to hear some opinions which might give me reassurance on trichocereus grafting. My question is whether or not they prefer a plastic bag or humidity dome over them to prevent becoming fully dry the same way Pereskiopsis grafts do ?

I grafted a Lophocereus Schotti Penis Plant on to an etiolated bridgesii and while the vascular rings appear to be lined up pretty well the only problem I've noticed on the graft there is a corner where a slight raise can be noticed . Should I apply pressure and make sure the scion gets a firmer stick to the stock ; or just leave it alone and allow them to merge together. I'm hoping the lophocereus schotti which has no areolas can find its way pupping back to life or else I might need to apply some 6BAP. The tip of the etiolated bridgesii was grafted onto the pup of my PC pachanoi and I'm going to wait a week or so before removing the tape

• Like 1

If you're talking about grafting relatively mature scions (not tiny seedlings) onto trichocereus stock then no, I never put them in humidity. Just strap it down and wait is all I do.

• Like 1

I dont think a humidity dome is really important, just put them into shade

but pressure is important to be applied carefully and universally.

pics would help to say more

• Like 2

@ Hostilis & Mutant Thanks for the responses, I removed a piece of tape and made sure there was no gap so now it looks good,

20140805 100331

20140805 095831

Im wondering where the Lophocereus Schotti Penis will throw its pups from because I don't see any areoles nor can I find pictures of a headless penis

• Like 2

20140805 100023

Got the huanocoensis firmly in the ground and now its pushing new growth

• Like 2

That graft looks fine, just make sure there's nice uniform pressure as others have said so it stays joined when it dries. I am pretty sure that Lophocereus Schotti should pup even without an aerole but keep us updated!

• Like 1

I'm reading a short article in THE SPINE vol 19 #1 "Robert Field's lecture 18th august 1970" with pics of the plantings from the early 30's? certainly very early in the gardens life.

And no i was a young fella with little interest in pricklies in 1970

Also has an interesting article on the import requirements for cacti at the time, how things have changed.

• Like 1

Can they pup without areoles? I've never tried to make an areole-less plant pup.

• Like 1

---too drunk... but yeah all my cacti, can pup without areole, because they are mine and I love them...

once a penis plant without areoes gave be an echinopsis monstrosa....

that happened once though , and it must have been a che-che- fly bite ore something from space

that caused the unusual response...

going to the roof now...

huanocoensis shouts.... "waaa.. aaaa. .... a. ..a..a..a tt.t....eee...eee.eee...eee.e.eee.eee.ee. .rrr rr r ""

in short "water me more fucker!!! "

shit in the desert happen slower... dont let that stoned mind of yo think otherwise... cacti go slow... so smow == KK

• Like 2

Oh shit. There he goes again...

post-146-0-39059200-1407372441.png

952.png

952.png

• Like 11

news just at hand: the "baggie mathed" sucks balls, all the moisture evaporates out the container and collects at the bottom of the bag, one seed has germinated it better not die, whoever invented the "baggie method" deserves a whipping

• Like 1

you've rotted the seeds I sent you...haven't you? :o

baggie...get yourself a propagator or heat pad.............. :)

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

lol no i never planated them, these are other ones, i have a heat pad and the baggies are on them but in small dishes, if these seeds are gonners i will curse the day i used the baggie method and spit on the grave of whomever cursed the world with this abomination

• Like 2

but in other good news the peres has rooted so i should attempt a graft soon ***wheeeeeeee***

• Like 1

The baggie method has always worked great for me. I use pots with drainage holes so they soak the moisture that accumulates at the bottom back up. It's kinda like how earth works with it evaporating, condensing, accumulating and repeating. Although I do not use that method anymore.

• Like 1

watered a few , gave another neighbour a cactus after being asked (since giving out 2 already they all seem to want one x] )

still cant stop gawping at how sexy this peruvianus ispost-14443-0-56466600-1407701659_thumb.j

something has actually happened since last posting growth-wise toopost-14443-0-51170500-1407701642_thumb.jpost-14443-0-43534500-1407701651_thumb.jpost-14443-0-02916400-1407701667_thumb.jpost-14443-0-25074500-1407701674_thumb.jpost-14443-0-62824100-1407701682_thumb.jpost-14443-0-62508300-1407701690_thumb.j

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

amafkngadz *comes down after the longest cactus buying buzz i ever imagined*

that was awesome ! ....

i have all these pretty cactus i never imagined in a krillion years id be surrounded by so much drop-dead-gorgeous beauty ! :o

*big fat hugs to all the cactus heroes out there* :wub::wink:

you clever ( and downright muthafukken awesome) basterds you , thanks for all the baddass tips !!

i cant wait till enough time goes by again...that somethn more happened that was cool ....with the cactus; to type about :P

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

copped some icaros and short spine peruv x psycho0 seedlngs.

anyone know about the later cross? what short spine peruv was used?

j7z1pz.jpg

• Like 1