The Corroboree
ENtiTY

Introducing a New Friend

I have some seed of a not so well known ethno (potential) that I would like to see spread though the community.

The name of the plant is Phyllodium pulchellum, previously known as Desmodium pulchellum. The potential for this plant is based upon the work done by Trout and published in Trout's Notes on Desmodium.

I have a very limited amount of this seed so only those with a genuine interest in the potential of this plant apply. Also those that do recieve seed are encouraged to pass on seed to the community once their plants produce, this is one of the purposes of the seed give away after all.

In my personal efforts to propagate this plant I have found it requires seed pre treatment like Acacia and other hard coat species. A scrub with sand paper or an emary board and followed by a hot water soak over night. Swelled up seeds is what your looking for, plant those and re-scrub and hot water treat those that don't swell. The seeds are far smaller than Acacia seeds so giving them a file can be beyond frustrating! Expect to see sprouts in 5-6 days using this method.

On to bussiness!

I have 6 lots of seeds to distribute, with 10 seeds in each lot. Seeds are very fresh so expect close to 100% germination if treated correctly.

If you would like to be involved leave a post in this thread stating so. 6 post numbers will be then picked randomly to recieve the seed starting at post #2. Cut off is Friday 6pm and the winning post numbers will be listed in this thread. The members belonging to the winning post numbers will also be notified by PM.

Conditions of entry are that you have been a member at the Corroboree for a minimum of 6 months.

Ava goodin :)

I would love an opportunity to grow this interesting Genus. So definitely count me in on this one.

Thanks Harry, what a champ!!

Appreciated.

Phos-

sure, ill be in on that, :) i havnt read what trouts notes say about it , but the enc. of psychoactive plants has a couple of refs, combined, it is claimed to contain dmt, bufotinine, and others. It also states that the species have ethno medicinal significance, but no psychoactive use among traditional peoples has been observed to date (1992)

i just read the section in trouts notes.... makes the info that I just quoted pretty useless :)

Edited by XipeTotec

Sounds really interesting Harry, so yes please, count me in.

Many thanks for the opportunity,

Cheers, Obtuse

im in?! if cool?

Count me in, please

Word up, Harry. The monk is in.

Im in, if your keen to sending to the US.

If not, its still a great giveaway...

Time to call the winning numbers :)

A random number generator was used to generate 6 random intergers between 2 and 12 with no repeats. This is what the program spat out :)

6 10 11 5 8 4

That corresponds to posts belonging to:

jono

t st Tantra

Himdumb

obtuse

ramon

Conan Troutman

Congrats to the winners :lol:

Please PM me your details and I'll get them on their way.

For all those with post numbers that didn't get drawn don't dismay to much. You'll be first on the list when I have more seeds avalible :wink:

Best of luck to the winners, treat your new babies extra nice :)

i never win anything!!!... but, im sure one of the winners will donate some seeds to me in the future :) (or u will look real scummy!!! :) )

Ok.. 2 years on and my plants are still alive and growing but have never flowered

Has anyone got theirs to flower?

Is there some trick to it or do I just suck lol

..oh, and has anyone heard reliable reports of its psychoactive effectiveness/potency?

Edited by Auxin

Curious to know if this is growing in my corner...

Edited by WoodDragon

Dang, how did I manage to double it up?

:BANGHEAD2:

Edited by WoodDragon

hey woody,

much to my displease i was defeated by winter on this one.

They were all going really well, and then the frosts hit. I have lost a lot of stuff to winter, and mrs obtuse hates it when i fill the kitchen with plants at this time of year.

sorry about that Harry, they were great seeds, and i got 100% germination and all.

Well done Auxin, you sure got the knack for keeping plants alive through your winter. must have a nice warm greenhouse.

oh well, another time perhaps.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

Count me in the post thing lottery. I have a good chance in my climate, i have time to get them going good.

pssst, this thread is 2 and a half years old :P

I just bumped it cause theres precious little on this plant here and some growers in this thread :wink:

lol, tricked good. What can i say... I would still like some seeds.

lmao.... :lol:

One of my plants flowered itself almost into oblivion this year so I have some more seed available. Not to sure how much I have as I only collected the pods. Haven't had time to sort the seed from them yet. Still more ripening on the plant as well. I have germinated some of the new generation seed and its almost as good as the original lot, must admit I didn't put as much effort in to breaching the seed coat this time which prolly reflects my germ rates. Damn seeds are so small and slippery :P Got 80% at any rate which is not bad. [EDIT]: Other seeds have emerged now a couple of days on so they're giving 100% germination. Sowed these ones a little deep :slap: .

I have 3 surviving plants out of the 10 seed I germinated 2 odd years ago. One is happy and healthy in a 400mm pot, has never flowered and I don't expect it will until it goes in the ground. Second is the seed producer, took off as soon as I freed its roots and planted it in the ground. Got a feeling they won't flower in a containerised situation. Third is in the ground as well but is in a very harsh spot, heavy clay and little water. Gone backwards if anything, might relocate this one.

These plants are tough! The ones I lost were due to absolute shameful neglect :blush: . In the colder months they will drop their leaves and look like they are dead. Stem will go dry and all. In spring they will shoot from the base again. If they get a good season then they will form larger stems which will endure but the tips will still die back. If your plants look dead don't give up, see what happens in spring, you may be surprised. If in pots let them dry out between watering when dormant, if in the ground let them ride it out until daytime temps start to clime again then give em a drink and see if they start to stir.

Any who, leave a mark if your keen on some beans. Those who missed out last time will get some as long as they make a new post to indicate they are still interested. Anyone else leave a post to show your interest. As I mentioned earlier I'm not sure on the quantity but I should be able to manage 20 lots of 10 seed so we'll go with that. If it turns out there is more then I'll extend the post count accordingly.

Let the mayhem begin lol :P

Edited by Harry

mark left

Keen for beens please harry,

Edited by shoes