The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Blue Staining Boletus?

Question

13 answers to this question

Pics, any idea?

i have read about these... cant quite remember what it said, but made no mention of activity...

Edited by shroomytoonos

No Idea, but awesome pics, recently saw some blue staining pluteus over at the shroomery, it would seem there are other chemicals at play then psily's.

did u bioassay?

There are a few Boletus that look similar but I think this one is Boletus Luridus, commonly called Lurid Bolete.

Found in well lit mixed or deciduous forests on limestone soil in early summer through to autumn.

Considered to be very good to eat, but may cause some intestinal upsets.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Lurid Bolete is not active.

Edited by Harry

There are a few Boletus that look similar but I think this one is Boletus Luridus, commonly called Lurid Bolete.

Found in well lit mixed or deciduous forests on limestone soil in early summer through to autumn.

Considered to be very good to eat, but may cause some intestinal upsets.

Very well but I would not be eating that thing :)

I have found a few of these before, I like the sponge bottom.

yeah they're boletus! maybe appeniculatus not sure. if it is appeniculatus then it is meant to be good eating. (don't look all that appetising tho :puke: )

the blueing is not caused by oxidation of psilocin, but from some other chemical reaction of which i cannot recall.

definitely not active!

edit: just read harries post, could be luridis, i don't quite know!

i've found very similar shrooms growing in sclerophyl eucalypt forests on the side of hills

Edited by paradox604

Appeniculatus and Luridus are very very similar. The main differences being luridus has a club shaped stripe that is dark red at the base. The tubes and the flesh of the cap are seperated by a red line.

Appeniculatus has a swollen stripe that comes to a rounded point at the base, lemon yellow to dirty ocher at the base.

Both turn blue upon cutting.

Looks like the main differences are the red line between the cap flesh and the tubes and also the colour of the base of the stripe.

Based on this I would say its appeniculatus. There is no red line visible between the cap flesh and the tubes. Pitty we can't see the base of the stripe.

I wasnt asking about activity, the staining is almost immediate, to fast for psiloX. Was more curious to the species so I could do a literature search to see if anyone had investigated what the compound causing this blueing was. Inorder to be blue something must absorb light around the orange-red end of the spectrum, the less energetic end. This means the molecule must have significant conjugation for such an electronic transfer to be so easy. Some other blue compounds are highly conjugated radicals, some can be found in some eucalyptus oils, really cool. Anyway Ill search for the genus and see if there is any hits.

At last Ive come across what seems a stable population, in the past ive found them on hillside sclerophyll eucalypt forests but they were more red and the torn cap almost looked like amanita muscaria, also found them in deep rainforest and in sand at the beach around Casuarina sp. These ones were around melaleuca sp and eucalypts at the beach just behind the dunes.

Im freeze drying the specimum anyway. Thanks guys :D

I've also noticed with those beasties (at least I think they're the same ones - usually found mine under box) that the blue colour fades after about 20 minutes - then the juice goes a nasty sort of yellow-green-brown colour.

Blue coloration of certain mushrooms. Bertrand, Gabriel. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Seances de l'Academie des Sciences (1901), 133 1233-6. From: J. Chem. Soc., Abstr. 82, II, 166 1902. CODEN: COREAF Journal language unavailable. CAN 0:108743 AN 1906:108743 CAPLUS

Abstract

When certain mushrooms of the genus Boletus are broken, their tissues rapidly acquire a blue colour which disappears in a few minutes (Schonbein, Phil. Mag., 1856 [iv], 11, 137; Bertrand and Bourquelot, Compt. rend. Soc. Biol., 1895 [x], 2, 579-582). The chromogen, boletol, which the author has now isolated has the character of an acid phenol. Solutions of boletol in pure water show the blue coloration only with difficulty when treated with laccase, but the coloration is readily obtained in solutions of potassium boletate or by adding to boletol an alkali or alkaline earth metal. In absence of sufficient quantity of such a metal, there is a tendency for a reddish coloration to be produced. The substances necessary to produce the blue colour are therefore oxygen and boletol, laccase and manganese, and an alkali or alkaline earth metal.

Action of ammonia on various mushrooms and in particular on boletoid forms. Sartory, A.; Bertrand. Comptes Rendus des Seances de la Societe de Biologie et de Ses Filiales (1914), 76 363-4. CODEN: CRSBAW ISSN: 0037-9026. Journal language unavailable. CAN 11:206 AN 1917:206 CAPLUS

Abstract

S. and B. have extended the investigation instituted by Bataille on the colors produced by the action of NH4OH and NH3 vapor on various mushrooms. The following observations are believed to facilitate the recognition of polyporoid mushrooms. Boletus variegatus, chrysenteron and scaber show no color change in the presence of NH4OH, KOH or NaOH; the same is true of B. appendiculatus, viscidus and castaneus. B. albidus and luridus normally turn blue on contact with air when the flesh is torn; in the presence of NH4OH the blue color disappears and the flesh becomes white. The flesh and tubes of B. flavus and elegans instantly become orange-red and in a moment or so thereafter the spot touched turns green; the NH3 vapor causes the pores to assume an orange tint. B. granulatus shows practically the same color changes, with the exception that the color of the flesh is more rose than orange. The cap and flesh of B. fusipes assume a mauve tint while the pores turn a rusty red col!

or. Polyporus nidulans assumes an amethyst color, while B. erythropus gives the same color reactions as B. luridus, as do also B. calopus and satanas. When a drop of NH4OH was placed on Gomphidius viscidus (cap or base) an amethyst color turning to carmine-red was immediately obtained.

Fungus dyestuffs. XI. Boletol, the dyestuff of the blue-coated boletus. Kogl, Fritz; Deijs, W. B. Ann. (1934), 515 10-23. Journal language unavailable. CAN 29:14006 AN 1935:14006 CAPLUS

Abstract

cf. C. A. 25, 1254. On extn. with Bertrand's method, 20 kg. Boletus satanas gives 1 g. boletol (I); 70 kg. B. badius gives 0.19 g. I. Purified through the tri-Ac deriv. (II), yellow, m. above 300°, I, C15H8O7, red, carbonized 275-80°. II, heated with Ac2O and AcONa with a little Zn, gives pentaaetylleucoboletol, m. 246°. I and CH2N2, followed by the action of Ac2O, AcONa and Zn, give trimethylleucoboletol diacetate (III), m. 213°. Zn distn. of I gives C10H14. Decarboxylation of I gives purpurin; oxidation with H2O2 gives hemimellitic acid and with Pb(OAc)4 a diquinone, C15H6O7, yellow-brown, m. above 300°. These facts indicate the two following possible formulas for I as 1,2,4- or 1,3,4-trihydroxy-8-anthraquinone-8-carboxylic acid.

Application of purpurin-8-carboxylic acid synthesis for boletol identification. Braem, A.; Eugster, Conrad H. Univ. Zurich, Zurich, Switz. Helvetica Chimica Acta (1969), 52(1), 165-9. CODEN: HCACAV ISSN: 0018-019X. Journal written in German. CAN 70:77647 AN 1969:77647 CAPLUS

Abstract

A new synthesis of methoxybenzanthrones, unequivocal relative to the position of substituents, is given. The oxidative degradation of 1,8,10,11-tetramethoxybenzanthrone led to 5,7,8-trihydroxyanthraquinone-1-carboxylic acid (I), while that of 1,8,11-trimethoxybenzanthrone gave 5,8-dihydroxyanthraquinone-1-carboxylic acid. I was identical neither with the "boletol" nor with the "isoboletol" of Koegl and Deijs (1935). New isolation of the Boletus satanas, B. luridus, and B. calopus dyes, which gave blue coloration with oxidases, failed to yield "boletol" but yielded variegatic acid (luridic acid) and other compds., in accordance with the findings of other authors. No support for the existence of boletol is given.

Extraction of boletol. Bertrand, Gabriel. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Seances de l'Academie des Sciences (1902), 134 124-6. From: J. Chem. Soc., Abstr. 82, I, 220 1902. CODEN: COREAF Journal language unavailable. CAN 0:107069 AN 1906:107069 CAPLUS

Abstract

In order to extract boletol (this vol., ii, 166) from Boletus, the fungus must be freshly gathered, cut up into thin slices, and boiled for not less than half-an-hour with five times its weight of alcohol of 95°. The boletol is precipitated by means of lead acetate, liberated from the precipitate by the action of hydrochloric acid, and extracted with ether. Part of the boletol remains in the lead acetate precipitate, and if this is treated with ether, fats and boletol are dissolved together, and the boletol can be separated by treatment with water. The fats in the fungus have a marked power of dissolving boletol, and this fact can be utilised in isolating the substance. Boletol crystallises in slender needles, only slightly soluble in cold water, ether, or alcohol, but readily so in hot ether or alcohol, from which it does not separate on cooling.

Lead acetate? Hmm, YIKES! Thats gotta be dangerous!

Lead acetate? Hmm, YIKES! Thats gotta be dangerous!

Yeah thats a nasty compound right there.

The extract would want to have some very tasty atributes to warrent playing with that crap!

Thanx for the info Teo :)

That's a Boletus erythropus. It is said to be mildly hallucinogenic.

Its not a Boletus erythropus.

The pores are the wrong colour. On a Boletus erythropus the pores are dark red turning orangish with age.

These pores a lemon yellow.