The Corroboree
catch

CHAGA

CHAGA big news how can we get a steady surply in ausralia , torsten can you get hold of it ? i am trying customs to let me import it but its a big bit of red tape , how can we grow it in australia torsten you there mate i have just been into koda in byron love it in there but we need chaga !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have personal experiences with how chaga helped them? I've been drinking the tea for a while and haven't noticed any effects on my health. tbh I don't even know what kind of antioxidants it is supposed to have.

As you know already, it grows on birch, and apparently you can innoculate trees - so that would be your best bet for growing it in Australia. But as far as I know (only from talking to people who've been selling it) it is mostly wildcrafted, so something to think about if anyone is planning to import large amounts or regularly.

:scratchhead:

*edit: ohh, mushroom. Gotcha.

Edited by at0m

I thought it was a typo..'chaga', lol, until i googled it and its a mushroom/fungus!

:)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 3

stop the bulshit guys its about getting it to australia for fk sake ! and if you dont know its the hottest mushroom to rock the health world ,no get on the club and lets get a surplie going !!!

Does anyone have personal experiences with how chaga helped them? I've been drinking the tea for a while and haven't noticed any effects on my health. tbh I don't even know what kind of antioxidants it is supposed to have.

As you know already, it grows on birch, and apparently you can innoculate trees - so that would be your best bet for growing it in Australia. But as far as I know (only from talking to people who've been selling it) it is mostly wildcrafted, so something to think about if anyone is planning to import large amounts or regularly.

who is selling it in australia mate

stop the bulshit guys its about getting it to australia for fk sake !

I really thought the thread was going to about changa, and i was thinking is this guy for real,lol.

I am genuinly interested in this Chaga. Thanks for bringing it to my attention catch.

:)

stop the bulshit guys its about getting it to australia for fk sake ! and if you dont know its the hottest mushroom to rock the health world ,no get on the club and lets get a surplie going !!!

Get a slurpie going? A chaga-flavoured slurpie?

• Like 2

So, do you have any actual information on it, catch? So far I only know whats on the wiki and my own personal experiences with it (which tell me pretty much nothing).

I harvest my own, so I have no idea who is selling it anywhere.

I harvest my own...

so where do you live raketemensch that enables you to harvest wild chaga?

rakets not in aus i believe catch/lok but leave it to him to explain better if he wants to.

I think it is in OZ I have seen either it or something that looks very similiar on silver birch trees here in Aus.

Dunno how birch would go in the daintree though...

Probly not your cup o tea but anyway:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SIBERIAN-CHAGA-MUSHROOM-IMMORTALITY-ORIYEN-BIO-CHAGA-/251102924708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a76e68fa4

Maybe you could share more on your enthusiasm for this mushroom if you wish to encourage more serious discussion.

Santiago is right, Lokstok, I wasn't in Australia when I harvested the chaga. But it's entirely possible that populations of birch in Australia would have brought the fungus with them when they were introduced. Have a wander through some bush and see what you turn up, it is an easy one to spot because of its size and contrasting colour with the birch bark. I've had most luck in birch dominant areas of birch/pine forests.

Hmm used to see this all the time around the Snowy Mountains when i lived at Tumut. Shame i didn't know of its uses at the age of 8.

There is an abundance in australia i can confirm that. The question is finding it, i think the snowy and blue mountains are a good point or reference to start as i recall seeing these at both locations.

thanks raketemensch. Quite possibly it has hitch-hiked to Australia, but would not be cold enough I think to be where I am am WA. (pity)

just read DarkSparks post as I was writing this- yeah, thats the sort of climate zone that I would expect it to be in if it were here.

DarkSpark is onto it. I immediately imagined the blue mountains when trying to think of where might be a possibility to find it in Australia. Even if you can't find it in your area or travel somewhere colder, LokStok, if other people get interested you'll no doubt be able to trade for some soon down the line. It's nice and light to ship.

• Like 1

Stumble accross this site today in my quest for knowledge, and low and behold the chaga mushroom was mentioned in a product by ShroomTek.

You might be able to contact ShroomTek for a source of Chaga.

"Chaga and Reishi Mushrooms

Chaga mushrooms are cultivated in cold climates and have a history of therapeutic use that dates back to the 16th century. The slow growing fruiting bodies from chaga mushrooms reside on bark of birch trees and have a charcoal appearance due the high content of melanin. Chaga mushrooms contain a high density of antioxidants, phytosterols, and polysaccharides that contribute to modulating immune function[3]. Chaga uniquely contains an ingestible form of betulinic acid, a cytotoxic agent typically present in birch bark that induces apoptosis and anti-proliferative responses in certain cell types [4]. The immunostimulatory benefits of chaga mushrooms derive from the both low molecular weight soluble compounds, as well as the heavier polysaccharides.

The reishi mushroom, also known as lingzhi mushroom, has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 2,000 years, making it one of the oldest fungi to be used therapeutically. A high density of antioxidants and triterpenes contribute to the immune enhancing effects[5]. A recent study on the antioxidant extracts from Reishi mushrooms displayed a protective effect against the oxidative stress and DNA damage [6]."

http://www.cerebralsupplements.com.au/p/8430704/shroomtech-immune-30ct.html

Some solid information on use would be great. I've read everything from "shred and boil for 12 hours" to "break into small pieces and simmer without boiling" to you need to ferment it to get the betulinic acid... I'm thinking of doing a kombucha chaga ferment, but that's not really practical for everyday drinking...

I don't know what the fuss is - i have imported it as chaga tea bags from north america easily. Does anybody want some? I have some left from a mushroom talk i gave last year.

Not sure i should drink it - i'm allergic to birch pollen.

anyway if this isn't a chaga conk what is it? http://astrotas.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/chaga-conk-launceston-library/

20120814-092336.jpg?w=652

^

It looks pretty damn familiar, so i will put forward a tentitive yes. I'll have to take a walk today and see.

Edited by Ceres