The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
folias

Iboga is Endangered in Gabon

This is a very interesting link, as various sources communicate in some details about how Iboga is endangered in Gabon from intensive harvesting in the wild.

http://eboka.info/index.php?topic=1370.0

Apparently, from a ten year old tree you can only get 500 grams of dry Iboga Root Bark!

So it is going to take some forward thinking people to set up plantations in tropical places in the world, where it can grow well. And in 10-20 years that person is going to get a huge ROI!

Julian.

Edited by folias

get er dun :) we got som eplanted here, but my cutting success is very bad. i was wondering how they got so much, cause the "bigger" plants i have dont look liek they will give much in weight for roots, nevermind root bark.

I think that this is the good place to thank you, fellow australians growers, thank to you, Iboga is still growing and available to gardeners ! :worship:

Maybe it's time to bring another type than the round pod in your nurseries, for diversity sake ?

my guess is, there is, only a round shaped fruit, but if pollination is maybe not as good, than the fruit shape turns towards elongated...

but there are different fruit forms / leave forms, in cultivation, i think.

the roots are harvested right?

and it's a tree... why not take cuttings and grow them

chip the extra wood and compost the extra greens

...maybe bonsai some? :D maybe send me some pics if youve got iboga bonsai? :P

Edited by Volle

thats a pretty weird forum btw,......... kind of like a lame version of SAB..... lol........... just kidding. :-)

I particularly like this post from the bottom of the first page of the thread that Folias linked to:

"Wait a minute - time out. Doesn't Ibogaine come from Vocannac african for commercial purposes?? If anyone knows please chime in here. Also, I am being serious, I have not heard anything about the Ozone layer for years, does anyone have any up to date info. Funny they talked about it for years then it somehow kind of morphed into Global Warming. Did you guys notice that after a month or so they quit reporting on the Japan Nuclear Thing. Of all the bad stuff that has happened the Japanese reactor thing is going to be around for a long time but don't worry for you will not see it, taste it or smell it so you don't have to worry about it and to get cancer from it you would have to eat a hell of a lot of Uranium like a gram or two per day but if you snort it you might get cancer on .5gm. If you guys know any Japanese folks and they are worried a scientist friend made this radiation lotion it works just like suntan lotion and is only $20 a bottle and a bottle last a week or so. Hurry up for I don't have all that much in stock. And for members of this list I will send ya a second bottle free all you have to do is pay for shipping. But I got to know ya from this list. Oh yeah, there is a limit of 10 bottles and don't try to keep ordering so ya can hog it all. And don't try to bribe me either for everyone knows that won't work.

Really if anyone knows about the Ozone please let me know.

Best to all,

Roy"

Huzzah :worship:

• Like 1

the roots are harvested right?

and it's a tree... why not take cuttings and grow them

chip the extra wood and compost the extra greens

you need larger roots because many people just use the root *barK8 which takes time to get thick. that said i dont know of anyone trying small fine roots, it may just work. be an interesting study to try and quantify the small roots as well. hydro liquid cultures would then become useful perhaps with this plant. but unless that happens, seems letting them grow as big as possible in a loose easy to dig dirt is the best route.

i have some in a raised bed for 1 year (from a pot) and there is still almost nothing for roots of any size.

6a00d83451b60269e201053628ed25970b-800wi.jpg

grow them in these rtatyher than in ground for easier to harvest roots and efficient nutrient absorbtion and usage... roots will also grow bigger if u let them dry out a little bit...

pot bound root knots might also grow nice and thick.

• Like 1

thats what i was doing. fo rabotu 3 years prior to raised beds, at least in our area the raised beds are far better than pots were fo rroot mass. i would say i have more in thios last year than i did in 3 in pots.

we should grow iboga then so its not lost eh eh

• Like 1

Those pots remind me of the technique of growing potatoes in tyres. Every so often add another tyre on top of the pile, and fill it with soil, and the potato plant will grow in the soil higher up. Something like that. I never tried it. :P

• Like 1

Those pots remind me of the technique of growing potatoes in tyres. Every so often add another tyre on top of the pile, and fill it with soil, and the potato plant will grow in the soil higher up. Something like that. I never tried it. :P

Got to try something similar with Ashwagandha!

Also sounds good for trees with harvestable roots, as you could remove only a portion of the roots and let the tree continue growing.

Best not to try it because the tyres leach volatile organic compounds and other toxins into the soil. Being a root vegetable there is uptake into the spuds.... result... toxic spuds...

• Like 2

Mmm very good point.

could use untreated wood instead.

Best not to try it because the tyres leach volatile organic compounds and other toxins into the soil. Being a root vegetable there is uptake into the spuds.... result... toxic spuds...

Environmental concerns

Due to heavy metals and other pollutants in tires there is a potential risk for the (leaching) of toxins into the groundwater when placed in wet soils. This impact on the environment varies according to the pH level and conditions of local water and soil. Research has shown that very little leaching occurs when shredded tires are used as light fill material; however, limitations have been put on use of this material; each site should be individually assessed determining if this product is appropriate for given conditions.[12]

Ecotoxicity may be a bigger problem than first thought[by whom?]. Studies show that zinc, heavy metals, a host of vulcanization and rubber chemicals leach into water from tires. Shredded tire pieces leach much more, creating a bigger concern, due to the increased surface area on the shredded pieces. Many organisms are sensitive, and without dilution, contaminated tire water has been shown to kill some organisms.

Damn, seems like tyres will have to go to waste then. :P

^^ Yep - that is about it.

Also apropo the use of timber for raised vegie beds.. I am frequently horrified by the use of CCA treated timber for this purpose... Urrggghhhh is all I can say...

i will try the raised beds idea

there would be an easy way to pot iboga,a plastic garbage bin cut in half (maybe full size as they get older) with big holes and slits in the bottom then put it on another garbage bin of dirt

any thoughts?