The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Australian surfer dies after shark attack

This is a bit too close to home ! Im glad i have been lazy lately , it could have happened to anyone...

There has been a few sightings at sth point this year and last year of big whites cruising round , tis the season ...

I hope they dont get all ''lets kill the shark'' on us . This may sort out the crowds somewhat :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10995222

fark! glad i only went to mandurah yesterday. ive always been surfing the day before an attack! wierd i was surfing voodoos (north cott) 14 hours before ken crew was eatin there. scary shit!

There out there!!! No point worrying too much about it, statistically we take far greater risks everyday and don't think twice about it. Coconut anyone????

This beach is just up the road from us....

whats that spot over about 2 kms to the right blowng, near big rock............southsides or similar i think, wasnt a bloke taken only a few years ago their too and died, perhaps the same shark no/yes ????

I wonder if he had urinated in his wetsuit , apparantly this is similar to the smell of a seal in distress...

A guy in sth africa who is the only person in the world to have survived two attacks from great whites ,

was interviewed and when asked what did he remember may have been different about those days when he was attacked? He said both times he pissed in his wettie.. I try and hold mine but its not easy when its cold.

whats that spot over about 2 kms to the right blowng, near big rock............southsides or similar i think, wasnt a bloke taken only a few years ago their too and died, perhaps the same shark no/yes ????

''NOISES'' round the corner about 100m away from where go most , but not this time of year ...too sharky !

There has been a few sightings of huge sharks at sth point and others at the start of winter , word spread pretty quickly, so i dont know what that cop going on when he said there hasnt been any recent sightings.

Edited by blowng

i got a bit paranoid about the pissing too, i always piss on the shore as im stretching and it feels great heheh.....in my wetty that is, i figure the leftover will wash out on the way out........think we crossposted two mins apart on the same subject blowng, ill put a link in my post to this but i thought you would have remembered the surfing thread.

try not to think about em' too much. I get shark paranoia really bad when I surf on my own. As long as there is one other person in the water with me I feel fine.

Even if there is someone on the beach I feel better - but if I'm there on my own in the water, every sand shadow or bit of weed, or frigging friggin dolphin that fin's towards me FREAK! lol

Poor bloke though. What a way to go. Even if he was 'doing what he loved' being munged on by a noah would be fucked

i got a bit paranoid about the pissing too, i always piss on the shore as im stretching and it feels great heheh.....in my wetty that is, i figure the leftover will wash out on the way out........think we crossposted two mins apart on the same subject blowng, ill put a link in my post to this but i thought you would have remembered the surfing thread.

Yeah no i remember the thread we must have posted at the same time ... I also try and keep animals like dogs and smelly ferrets away from my wetsuit because i have heard that dogs leave a scent on your stuff which smells similar to seals, and ferrets just smell .

Giving up smokin pot has made me a little less paranoid in the surf , the heart doesnt beat quite as fast (apparantly- they can hear your heart beating through your board), and well most of the time and at the spots here you cant see the bottom anyway.I doubt the poor chap saw it coming at all.

It's a million to one chance you'd get chomped ,maybe its just the idea of bleeding to death while drowning that gives people the willys..

Poor bloke though. What a way to go. Even if he was 'doing what he loved' being munged on by a noah would be fucked

yeah i hope he got a few

There out there!!! No point worrying too much about it, statistically we take far greater risks everyday and don't think twice about it. Coconut anyone????

lol i just got what you meant, falling coconuts kill more people that sharks!

Edited by blowng

What a horrific loss for his family. I cant fathom something like this happening to loved ones.

I do a lot of freediving and spearfishing and quite often see sharks, not massive whites and tigers mind you but mostly whalers, the biggest been about 7ft most around 3ft. I think about how terrifying it would be to have one of these become aggressive. I cant imagine the horror of been approached by large great white.

I really wonder what makes a shark snap and decide to attack, all the times I have seen them they have just been cruising by and hang around for a few seconds before disappearing. Each of these occasions I have been in the water with dead fish and urine in my wet suite. I am not drawing any similarities nor comparing my experiences to this horrific attack but shark behaviour is just so terrifyingly unpredictable.

Some of my dive buddies use shark pods and if I have the spare $$$ one day I will get one. Do any of you surfers use them?

del

Some of my dive buddies use shark pods and if I have the spare $$$ one day I will get one. Do any of you surfers use them?

what is a shark pod? does it emit a frequency that is suppose to deter sharks? cos i remember an abalone diver in sth oz was wearing one and was attacked ,it was thought to actually attracted the shark....so i m not sure they would work.

What a horrific loss for his family. I cant fathom something like this happening to loved ones.

I do a lot of freediving and spearfishing and quite often see sharks, not massive whites and tigers mind you but mostly whalers, the biggest been about 7ft most around 3ft. I think about how terrifying it would be to have one of these become aggressive. I cant imagine the horror of been approached by large great white.

I really wonder what makes a shark snap and decide to attack, all the times I have seen them they have just been cruising by and hang around for a few seconds before disappearing. Each of these occasions I have been in the water with dead fish and urine in my wet suite. I am not drawing any similarities nor comparing my experiences to this horrific attack but shark behaviour is just so terrifyingly unpredictable.

del

Spearfishing for what may I ask, and what do you do with your speared fish...?

Sharks don't snap.. they are the predatory hunting kings of the sea, and will track and attempt to get the source of prey generally if the prey is within it's limits of capture, and if they are hungry or have been without food for quite some time, a shark that has eaten does not attack and keep hunting for more and more food it stops and dives down deep to minimize energy expansion rates and to digest the food, remember sharks don't stop moving if they do they will not live but they do have a type of resting pattern which usually after feeding when they dive down and lay across rock ledges or very very slowly swim along with currents not against them. It's a pity so many beautiful sharks are attacking millions of jagged barbed long lining hooks baited with other fish that have needlessly died and end up dying needlessly for human consumerism in it's most disgusting and wasteful form seen on this planet. sharks do not see a surfer as someones son or a family member, they are automatons and hunt to survive and continue the species existence. Remember when entering the sea we enter their environment and can and will often succumb to the perils of the ocean, weather it be stung by jellyfish, eaten by a predatory hungry shark or drowning due massive wipe-out on a dangerous reef.

• Like 2

what is a shark pod? does it emit a frequency that is suppose to deter sharks? cos i remember an abalone diver in sth oz was wearing one and was attacked ,it was thought to actually attracted the shark....so i m not sure they would work.

I think shark pod and shark shield are same thing. Nothing is going to stop a shark once it get the scent of blood and it thinks there is a distessed creature in the area.

Yep shark shields what I meant. I guess they are not going to stop a shark who has made up its mind. But I would consider one for peace of mind. I have spoken to people who swear they work and others who say they dont. I think there is footage of both testing outcomes posted on youtube.

Druged out liar dont get all conservative on me,I know better then most the vital role these top level predators play in the ocean. Spearfishing for what you ask? Fish mate! Im just out there catching some fish for dinner, why should I support the commercial fishing industries? I like to eat fresh fish and I like to free dive so why not combine the two! Theres nothing wrong with that! (unless you are a vegan, than you have every rite to detest it)

I don’t wish to argue about this here.

What do you do with your speard fish? Its common practise to tow them along at the end of a float line that’s about 20m long. So dead fish are about 20m behind you.

I guess my comment “wonder what makes them snap” was a bit brash and seemingly uninformed. But im just going by my experiences of seeing them so peacefully and gracefully glide past in the water, its so hard to imagine these things in feeding mode when you see them like this mind you these are not huge great whites or anything of the sort.

Anyway I have derailed the topic and thus shall shut up

del

lol del, i spear a fish and see a wobbygong or stingray followin the scent and im out of there quick smart

....,regarding great whites tho... i have been reading about commercial fishos around the world who see seals as a threat to their industry and have been killing them with poison baits and also dynamite? aswell as just clubbin the poor sods , so if the main food supply of the great white (ie: seals and sea lions) is dwindling then i expect these sorts of human interactions/tragedies to become more frequent.

Hehe blowng be wary of those wobbies, they are pests! and they will have a go at you if you get too close. Every summer in Sydney some backpacker on a dive course finds this ou the hard way. :slap: man the huge ones give me the hebejeebies too.

And stingrays just sneak right up behind you like some kind of sea creep! man they have startled me a few times too!(people wouldnt believe how big they can get!) Although they are harmless I still give them plenty of space, dont want to be the next person unlucky enough to die by stingray!

as for comercial fishos, the few that I have known were tuna longliners on the east coast and they had no respect for any living creature period! Its all about money, they didnt hesitate in shooting seals and all manner of marine life that wasnt tuna. I never witnessed this but I dont doubt it.

Human/shark interaction is a real worry, especially the baiting of great whites for cage diving, you cant just assume a shark will not understand anything or learn anything from those kind of encounters. Some knid of highly evolved intelegent supershark may result. haha que movie!

del

Druged out liar dont get all conservative on me,I know better then most the vital role these top level predators play in the ocean. Spearfishing for what you ask? Fish mate! Im just out there catching some fish for dinner, why should I support the commercial fishing industries? I like to eat fresh fish and I like to free dive so why not combine the two! Theres nothing wrong with that! (unless you are a vegan, than you have every rite to detest it)

I don’t wish to argue about this here.

What do you do with your speard fish? Its common practise to tow them along at the end of a float line that’s about 20m long. So dead fish are about 20m behind you.

taking fish to eat is fine, spearing them is fine if you take them home and consume them...but, there have been species of fish brought to the brink of extinction by spear fishermen..Blue Grouper anyone...and idiots who swim out over sand flats in spring and spear giant female flatheads lat are laying quietly and peacefully on the sandy bottom, killing these females is appalling and continues to be every spring when they are full of eggs, or fucktards that spear huge silver drummer and then take a photo and throw the dead carcass back into the ocean, the hundreds of douchebags that enter the ocean every summer with their new spear guns and spear anything that moves year after after year with no intention of eating or any thought for legal size or bag limits.

I wasn't accusing you of anything I merely asked what fish you speared and why...you didn't actually tell me what fish you are spearing..(if legal to spear) and if they are of legal size limit, these are legitimate questions and yes I am getting all conservative particularly if I find people who are blatantly ignoring these laws I'm all over it. The reason I have issues with spearfishermen is that I've seen carnage for 30 odd years in our waters by a lot of them, in fact I struggle to remember any that have genuinely speared one or two legal fish for their dinner, this also goes for rod fishermen and I've been a rod fishermen since i was a child. Spearfishermen have been seen to spear grey nurse sharks around seals rocks for fucks sake...you know why...cause they can and they think it's funny and have a few beers when they get home and talk about how cool it was to spear a 500 kilo shark just to see it panick and swim off in distress with a steel barb hanging from it.

These same lunatics are also usually responsible for poaching hundreds of tons a year of precious abalone off the sea floor which as we all know is as illegal as hell for very good reasons...The asians pay huge bucks for it.

The ocean is a place of unspeakable majesty and when i see humans entering it carelessly or without thought for the delicate nature of it's systems it makes me mad. I once saw 3 yobo's in Forster one summer spear well over a hundred black fish around the Wallis street lake baths...I swear I was lucky not be locked up for triple homicide on those twats.

I don't have confidence in spear fishermen to be conservative because I've not seen them practice it, now that's not to say there are not thousands that do but I can only speak from own observations of living on the ocean all my life practically. i almost see it as a human walking into the sea with a gun looking to kill and drag the corpse out of the ocean...I mean that's what i see it as because that is basically what it is...wonder how people would feel about people entering the native bush and spearing wombats, kangaroos or koala bears and dragging their corpse's out on the end of string back to the car.

I don't spear fish period I have been an active sports fishermen for a very long time...sports fishing is a term for fishermen who catch and release their fish making sure to get the fish back into the water with as little damage and stress as possible....occasionally a fish or two are taken home for eating and size limits are always observed.

Dragging speared fish behind you on a string is only going to assist in attracting other fish like pelagic's or sharks to you so without stating the obvious is it any wonder sharks come and have a look and see what the action is with all that oil and blood burlying up the surrounds few hundreds of ocean you are in.

• Like 2

How much can a koala bear smile.gif

• Like 1

One of the miss-conceptions the media and officials always claim is 'they dont weant to eat us we're not their usual prey, they accidentially mistake us for a seal'. While its true we are not their preferred prey and Im sure they do sometimes mistake us for a seal, the rest is BS. This attack was a classic white shark scenario - a rapid strike to maim the victim, let it bleed and then casually finish it off. Many people survive white attacks simply because they are pulled from the ocean or make it to shore. There are plenty of attacks where the shark will consume a person never to be seen again. These are prehistoric creatures that roam thousands of km across oceans eating anything from fish to whales...if they are hungry, or there's limited natural prey around, they won't hesitate to consume people.

• Like 1

ah your a "sport fisherman" well that explains it! its a bit Hyprocritical you have no problem hooking a fish with a barbed hook dragging it out of the water where it cant breathe just for fun and a happy snap! I bet the fish loves it too! dont make me laugh!You environmental crusader you! Ive had this argument too manny times to care. I will just say that if I want to eat a fish I will make shure it is captured in the most environmentally responsible manner possible. Aside from picking fish up that has died from natural causes washed up on the shore! :drool2:

I dont want to argue with you. there are real moronic uneducated douchbags that partake in spearfishing and they really do give it a bad reputation. I cringe when I see morons at the beach with some cheap spearing gear they just bought from the fishing tackle store.And trust me I go give them an earfull! unless they are bigger than me :( in that case I call the fisheries department! :lol:

I know species size limits and bag limits better than any line fisherman I know. And you really have to admit there are plenty of bogan fwits that love to go line fishing! And they too dont give a shit about bag limits and size limits nor do they have any problems with leaving all there rubish behind. Theres douchbags in every recreational activity and you have just got to deal with it, I do every time I get accosted by some fat bogan line fisherman at the beach who clearly hasnt caught anything and gets angry at me because I walk past and say hi with a couple of nice drummer for my dinner and maby a cray in winter if im lucky. Most of the time i am out in the ocean just marveling at the diversity and enjoying the tranquility of freediving but if I want to spear a fish or two for dinner I will. I take no joy in seeing the fish suffer and the struggle is over alot quicker than if one was catching the fish via hook and line.

anyway you shouldnt just assume that i am some kind of environmental vandal, I understand the local marine ecosystem beter than most (because I spend alot of time in it instead of on the rocks getting snagged up haha). Just accept the fact that this form of recreational fishing (spear) can also be done by people who are responsible and know the rules like you obviously do in regards to line fishing.

When it all boils down we are both chaps who enjoy fishing so I dont want to agrgue about it any more. Its such a shame that the various fishing fraternities cant work together better with each other. We really need to in order to protect the right to fish and ensure it is done by all sides in the most responsible manner possible.

del

P.S It was actually spearfishermen (the Australian Underwater Federation AUF) who lobbied to have the blue grouper protected in the first place back in the 60's.

lets be friends :P

• Like 1

i think spear fishing would be the most ethical of all fishing forms, as long as bag limits, not targetting ptotected species, legal sizes etc is obeyed.

saves the ocean, rivers esturies etc being polluted with snapped of fishing line and hooks, which can snare birdlife and genuinelly cause potential hazards for fish,animals, birds and humans. theres no bait used, so again, no need for unnecessary death?

the spearfisherman is able to see his target, can select his prey re. legal size limits species etc i mean anything can jump on your hook, be it a blue grouper or whatever, and will sustain life threatening injurys if not death, if its not what u intend for the plate. I agree there are tools whow spearfish, but yeah rod fisherman has there share of tools as well.

me, im to much of a pussy to try spearfishing for the simple fact theres a great white swimming around waiting for me to get far out enough to smash me.

There has been more sighting lately (lots this year). This time of year is when the great whites follow the migrating whales up north to Canarvon and Exmouth where they give birth around May , and then they follow 'em back down round about now hoping to pick off weaker ones and new borns...But i have never heard of this many sightings in my 15 yrs here.There are more people surfing these days so more eyes watching . Can't really tell if the rate of shark sightings are increasing because sharks are coming closer to humans more often or there are just more humans flapping about to witness them .

http://www.margaretrivermail.com.au/news/local/news/general/more-sharks-spotted/1936026.aspx

im wondering how the whales would protect the babies from the great whites?

great whites would be faster and more agile yeah?