The Corroboree
Cyjack

Earthcore =- Sydney

Anyone going?

What: Earthcore

Who: Infected Mushroom (Israel), Raja Ram, Dr Jane, Mark Murphy, Luke Harland, Richie Jay, RifRaf, Incognito, Oculas, 1200 mics, Shpongle, Shangri-la

Where: Home

Cockle Bay Wharf, 101 Wheat Rd, Sydney, NSW

Phone: 02 92660600

When: Saturday 11 March

Cost: $49

Did I miss the orig thread?

Edited by Cyjack

I'm tempted to go but dunno if I can stomach I.M., Raja Ram AND 1200 Mics... I'm not a psysnob, I just don't happen to really dig them in particular. Spose it'd be a bit of fun though.

We'll see how I go for cash closer to the date. :)

Awwwwwww crap!

I was meant to be going to the Convergence doof that weekend. But I guess if Earthcore is on, not many people will be going? Argghghghghghg.

Oh yeah, and the fact that $50 is a hell of a lot more expensive than free :P

Edited by apothecary

with a line up like that i doubt many of the psy trancers in sydney would be going.

we've seen infected mushroom 1000's of times. 1200 mics plus raja ram sucks ass (unless you like generic formula psy),an out of ( Mark Murphy, Luke Harland, Richie Jay, RifRaf, Incognito, Oculas, 1200 mics, Shpongle, Shangri-la ) only oculus and ritchie jay play decent music. the rest play electro-whatever.

convergence on the other hand has awesome music, an awesome price and will be just plain awesome.

Hmmm now Convergence sounds like a party indeed.

Once again we'll have to see how I'm going for cash, if I can score a ride there, and whether or not my mate wants me to celebrate his birthday by pubbing with him on that saturday night... which I'm not all that keen for.

Gonna be scraping it to even make it down to the sydney meet this weekend due to the fucking rain causing my gardening jobs to get cancelled... :(

We have not and never will support an earthcore event.. Whilst sometimes they may have acts that we would love to see, their approach towards promoting and the unscrupulous behaviour in relation to other parties/promoter makes me sick! If u want the Mcdonalds of doof&Rave then here it is in all its (not)glory..

I implore people who love the australian psyscene to avoid supporting earthcore in any way shape or form...

But then again if ur girlfriend shops at supre and u have no problem eating mcdonalds then go for it!!!

That said im sure it is all there for people who are jsut starting to egt into doof or are into the more commercial mainstream aspects of it.

MY stance and many others is mostly based on appreciation of events that are done for reasons other then money and pin dick superiority complexes...Not to mention that they have done more for the deterioration of 'doof' freedom in australia then any single other group of people...

Hmm 1hr north of sydney, sounds like a nice spot ^_^ ideal for all sorts of shinanigans

We have not and never will support an earthcore event.. Whilst sometimes they may have acts that we would love to see, their approach towards promoting and the unscrupulous behaviour in relation to other parties/promoter makes me sick! If u want the Mcdonalds of doof&Rave then here it is in all its (not)glory..

I implore people who love the australian psyscene to avoid supporting earthcore in any way shape or form...

But then again if ur girlfriend shops at supre and u have no problem eating mcdonalds then go for it!!!

That said im sure it is all there for people who are jsut starting to egt into doof or are into the more commercial mainstream aspects of it.

MY stance and many others is mostly based on appreciation of events that are done for reasons other then money and pin dick superiority complexes...Not to mention that they have done more for the deterioration of 'doof' freedom in australia then any single other group of people...

I'm curious why you hate earthcore so much? How have they helped in the deterioration of 'doof' freedom?

I'm not supporting the event or any of that, I'm just curious what the issue is exactly? Just that whole mainstream - just in it for the money leeching - no soul - sorta aspect to it?

Compared to the local scene Duder, which is full of love for the music the people - its not put on for commercial gain/profit mostly run at a loss. Its done for us to enjoy for the love of the community the music the fucken great times B). I can see where E is coming from, if you want to experience a real "doof" seek out the locals the people who put their hearts, souls, energy and being into keeping this awesome scene alive. That said ive never been to EC and dont think i ever will all i need is right here, tis where its at.

Earthcore use to be great, I rememebr when I went to the 2nd one in 95'(I was sick for the 1'st one) and had friends that went to the some of the pre earthcore parties like Nexus (or was it Nebulous? something like that) mostly held out in/near Talangi (sp?)

They were wicked fun, really small, probabaly only about 50-100 people with a super close friendl vibe, no ego's or makret stalls, in fact no form of water or toilets at all if I remember correctly (or glow sticks if you can believe it!) but they only got bigger and bader every year and its jst become a money making exercise.. a bit of an oxymoron really.

I will always remeber those first few earthcore's as some of my best parties and saw some of the most unreserved mayhem in my history.

This is probabaly similar to the kind of parties your describing, so I can identify with what your saying.

Edited by AndyAmine.

MY stance and many others is mostly based on appreciation of events that are done for reasons other then money and pin dick superiority complexes...Not to mention that they have done more for the deterioration of 'doof' freedom in australia then any single other group of people....

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say there but the only way that we are able to see acts like simon posford, raja ram, astrix, infected mushroom is when orgranisations like the earthcore crew throw the money around which is needed to get these guys down under.

At the end of the day its just another party anyway.

what 'punters' dont see is the way that earthcore promoters throw their weight around and the way that the 'main guys' interact with other party promoters... ultimately they have very bad politics in the way they deal with and treat the rest of the doof community... I dont want to go into instances, however i can say i have witnessed some of the most disgusting and embarassing human interactions between earthcore promoters and other small time party promoters. Basically they have sabotaged, threatened to sabotage, and threatened personal harm in MANY instances because they didnt want anyone else to have parties on the same weekend, or because they had personal gripes against other party promoters..

Ive seen lots of unsavoury doof politics, but have never seen or heard of anything as negative as the earthcore interactions, and the fact that ive seen so much negative interactions in such a short period of time makes me feel that it is a lot more widespread then i have encountered.

the only way that we are able to see acts like simon posford, raja ram, astrix, infected mushroom is when orgranisations like the earthcore crew throw the money around which is needed to get these guys down under.

i know of several instances where smaller crews/promoters have worked there ass off securing overseas artists, got the money together to get them here, and had the cops/immigration turn them back at the airport because uhemm SOMEONE had told the cops/immigration the individual trying to enter the country was a dj who would earn lots of money whilst in the country, but didnt have a workign visa....This random tip offs just happen to coincide with disputes/disagreements between party promoters and, yep u guessed it....

Also, one of the reasons u wont see Shpongle live outside of earthcore (and i dont know if this is still current but it was for quite a while) is because earthcore use exclusivity contracts.... show me anyone else who is doing something for 'the scene' who wants to own every performance in the country????

And your right, it is "just another party" but it all depends on whether ur looking for "just another party" or whether u actually believe that the experience heralds somekind of worth and value that is beyond "the party" and "the drugs"... ultimately anyone can go to earthcore and have a good time if they are just into drugs and partying, but it definately doesnt hold 'the space' myself and my friends are looking for... And anyone who makes 'the space' harder to share/open up for other people are working for the darkside in my opinion...drugs, money and ego not the reason for having "a party"

I totally understand where you are coming from Minerval.

But one thing remains, Earthcore put on a tight party.

I'm so sick of party's not getting legal approval for their sites, making it hard to organise your weekend in advance, not to forget having dodgy directions and spending hours looking for the doof.

Also a lot of the smaller parties don't have adequate ambulance and firebrigade assistance on hand in case of an emergency, which seriously worries me at times.

And the organisational skills of some people putting on parties is pathetic, I don't want to wait for eight hours for a stage to start, and then have no idea who's playing all night long.

Don't get me wrong I love the small parties and appreciate the effort people put into them, but sometime I wonder whether they're taking themselves seriously enough.

I hate how Earthcore work, but I'll still go for a tight party and wide range of music.

There aint nothing like the Earthcore Carnival.

I'm so sick of party's not getting legal approval for their sites, making it hard to organise your weekend in advance, not to forget having dodgy directions and spending hours looking for the doof.

Also a lot of the smaller parties don't have adequate ambulance and firebrigade assistance on hand in case of an emergency, which seriously worries me at times.

Now i love the guys i go doofing with and when u are out in the bush and its a nice place well thats great

but there have been some really shit and rip off parties on lately - from my perspective anyway

i cant bitch about the music cos really its often good or else well maybe its disagreemnet on an artistic level

so i can only bitch about where when and how they are organised - and how much they expect us to pay for their (in)competent planning

but anyway what REALLY shits me off is this

in fact no form of water or toilets at all if I remember

if im paying more than $10 for a doof i demand a (lit) toilet

Its a matter of sanitation, its a matter of environmental pollution of the site and its a matter of comfort

you can add lighting to this when they put on a doof where the terrain is dangerous to walk in the dark, wet and slippery or rocky. light it up

as it is ive paid between 20 and 60 to get into places that are nothing but glorified paddocks or sections of state forest with inbuilt obstacle courses and pitfalls.

you can talk about earthcore being money hungry or dirty and maybe it is, but in their defence at least they actually Do put some effort into providing services and sanitation to doofgoers with the $ spent

and at prices that make me wonder WTF the $ i pay to other doof organisers is getting spent on

(no i dont want a bouncy castle - just water, safe walkways, a place to sit and a place to shit.)

Ive never been to a free doof. Either im not invited or they just dont exist.

in addition average asking prices in the last 2 years have jumped from 15-20 to $30-60, the only problem with that is that more often than not its the $30 parties that are well put together while the $60 ones just dont justify the expense.

One final bitch

why the fuck do organisers stage parties progressively further inland the closer we get to winter?

why not go closer to the coast? have the kyogle/whiporie parties in autumn/winter and the ones near tenterfield and bonalbo when its warmer?

(everpresent consternation????)

the whole situation reminds me of that southpark episode with starbucks LOL

but anyway what REALLY shits me off is this

"if im paying more than $10 for a doof i demand a (lit) toilet

Its a matter of sanitation, its a matter of environmental pollution of the site and its a matter of comfort"

Unfortunately this was the norm back then, even at inner city parties, this started to change with the mainstreaming of the parties at "Global Village".

For those that have been there, first it was held in the much smaller warehouse on the very left which only had 1 or was it 2 tiny toilets for both men and women with one toilet and tap in each, the lines got ridiculously long before pass outs were on and would run all the way around the inside of the building in a square.

The only other water option was a single tap on the wall that spat out brown bore water, I drank it by mistake or in desperation more than once.

I remember at one or 2 parties they started doing really messed up shit like turning the toilet taps onto hot only so you had to pay $5 for a 250ml bottle of water (which became common place at a lot of places until the health regs got involved) but that didn't last long before "people" started running water from the servo up and over the "free roof entrance" :wink: and selling them for $3 a bottle.. he, he, he..

Anyhow, then they opened up the large warehouse on the right and then both together and things got a heap better in regards to comfort and safety (although at Panic3 a mate of a mate got stabbed) the party's got subjectively worse and worse and more and more mainstream and I really started to hate them..

So its a real double edged sword...

The more organizers do to address the publics concerns regarding food/drinks, toilets, lighting, parking and security the more money has to be spent/raised and other commercial interests have to get involved there fore the more hands go in the pot plus more regulations have to be adhered to etc, etc, etc, etc the list goes on and in the process the the end ticket prices and numbers skyrocket and the "vibe" and the energy is lost/smuthered making the Super Raves/Doofs/Clubs that we have today...

If you ask me they all really started with the Bezerk Parties out at Kryal Kastle but that's another story and I'm sure you sick of my views on Melbourne history.. LOL

So what Im really saying is, that's why 2 main cultures have evolved, one that loves the massive ridiculousness of the super parties/fests/palooza's held with many interests in mind + the perks that go with them and the others that much prefer the closeness and the energies involved in the smaller and or free parties that are held with the group/partier in mind.

Ill shut up now.

Edited by AndyAmine.

I gotta say i absolutely love the vibe from the parties held here. very close community, you always see the regulars :) and it's great. Haven't been to a more mainstream 'doof' type party but from my experience the more mainstream something is, the more bogan nobs or metro sexual wankers with ego's rock up for the sake of rocking up. ..and yeah the vibe is just totally ruined, and as I am sure with many doofers, the optimal vibrations are required in their preffered, altered state of cosnciousness ;)

With the smaller parties it's more of a word of mouth kind of thing and it's just the people that are in it for the love of it that keep coming back. And there's really nothing like having that shared moment where everyone is in this same space reacting to the same beat, everyone tranced out.

good times!