The Corroboree

does anyone have a set of scales they would be willing to trade plants for? If so, please PM me...

preferably i'd like a set capable of measuring weights from 10mg to 500g (or a greater range of course!).. i have no idea what regular scales are capable of so sorry if that sounds like a ridiculous ask!

Search e-bay for 'digital scales' Aus only.

you get 50g scales accurate to 0.01g

100g scales accurate to 0.01g

350g scales accurate to 0.05g

500g scales accurate to 0.1g

all for about $50

There is also a postal scale 500g accurate to 0.01g I think, but it goes for $129.

Thanks :) yeah i saw some ebay scales listings. Not all but a lot of them have excessive postage prices of $25 for a pocket digital scale (for example).

Money is tight and I'm more after a trade and figured there might be ppl on this forum who have a scale at home they'd be willing to swap for some plants at www.guruna.com

10mg would require some pretty serious scales to be reliable & accurate , "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" .

you can get them cheap with not much postage but you have to be always looking

i recently gto some for 38.00 including postage

so they are there

2b yeah i think i will need 2 sets of scales - 1 for measuring powder (i sell GA-3 powder for seed germination so i want to be able to measure more accurately)

and one for measuring seed quantities, typically from 5g to 500g.

if anyone has an old set that they no longer use, for measuring either in the very light range (mg's) or in the gram range, pls PM me...

in the meantime i will take Fenris and Hebrew's advice and wait (weight?) patiently on ebay for a good looking deal.

if you know where to look you can get digital kitchen scales that go from something like 5g to 1000g with .1g incraments

i think my dad got a set for 20 bucks!

considering alot of digi scales cost around the 70-100 mark it aint bad at all

alot of tobacconists and similar stalls at public markets sell cheap scales.

Tried a tobacconist?

I've seen good ones in my local, for about $50.

<500gm

0.1 increments

about the size of a cigarette pack, but skinnier.

So, they sure are available out there.

Smogs, sounds like a very good deal :)

Benzito, great idea... i will definitely try a tobacconist. Good one, thanks.

this has been brought up before, deering make a mechanical scale called the deering 10 that's accurate to 10mg. maximum load is 10g. http://users.bigpond.net.au/nutriflo/index.html sell them for $38, they're pretty good. for heavier weights just look for those postal scales, you can probably get one accurate to .1g for $10.

is it possible 2 get scales accurate to the micrograms or at the very least to 1 mg im after a set but my guess is that they will b hard near impossible 2 find

At my old work place we had a set of scales that was accurate to around 1mg or less. I think it costs thousands of dollars tho.

Beware of cheap digital instruments, they're generally crap.

Usual scams are "displays to" and "measures from".

Buy nothing that does not state accuracy in the +/- weight or % format.

The Deering range are good value/money utility scales.

ed.

I too am in search of a decent set of scales, im willing to pay around the $200 mark....I found this page the other day and want someones opioin on these scales...

http://www.scalesgalore.com/digiweigh_pock...cales.htm#dw20a

its the forth one down i think, price is 149.95 us dollars, comes with calibration weights too...i need them to way out precious heimia salicifolia seeds :D

Thanks

i got ones that measure down to 10mg for $50 off ebay..............

Yeah, I coudnt belive how cheap the scales were on Ebay and the range is huge.

Scales going from 0.01 to 500gm's going for between $50 - $100! 0.01 - 100gm's even cheaper.

I cringe when I think about paying $130 for my digital Tanita's about 8yrs ago and that was cheap too! (0.1 - 50gm's, 0.2 -100gm's)

Dodie - had a quick look at the scales you mention.

Since no specs are supplied for the unit, I would only use such for rough measurement. If you're at your max price-range, I'd suggest saving some cash and buying a cheaper model with the same 'specs'. Or save up a bit more and go for something that's accurate ie the Ohaus Scout range.

As I stated above, accuracy is only expressed in % +/- weight or scale range. Readability is simply the resolution of the display (in the case of a digital display, it's simply the number of digits after the decimal pt). This has nothing at all to with accuracy.It's a very easy job to increase readability - just change the display. You'll get extra decimal place readings, but they will mean nothing.

As for standard weights, they're another scam. Precision standards are very expensive and any others are pointless. Once you have a scale, they're easy enough to fab if can get 5mins ccess to a quality scale (uni chem lab etc).

It all comes down to usage. How small an amount do you want to weigh, and how important is this measurement.

An extra 100mg sugar in a cake won't hurt.

An extra 100mg dmt though....

ed

[ 26. June 2005, 07:55: Message edited by: reshroomED ]

Well im not going to be making any cakes i would love something that can weight accuratley to 10mg...

Thanks

For such small ammounts I use those classic machanical scales with white removable dishes available at smoke shops because its easier to see where the pins moving and is more reliable because it dosent run out of batteries. with the digies you have to rely on some out of sight mechanism which I dont like.

When calabrating for gm's I used to use new coins because they all weigh the same ammount (unless damaged) but now I use peices of lead, I went to my frineds school and used their chemical powder scales to weigh up some standard measurments using a file to shave off lead until it was perfect. I keep them warpped in wool, in a bagie in a box, all safe and sound.. but they are in storage now. :(

If you really want some Ridgy Didge powder scales try going to your local Uni and ask at the chemistry supply section, they often have 1/2yr or end of year sales.. put your name on the list.

You can also stick up a "wanted" notice on the noticeboard, they have them all the time..

There are also a coupple of places online selling 2nd hand chemistry gear although I havent checked them in about 4yrs so things may have chnaged in the current climate.

http://www.thecompetitiveedge.com/shop/ite...escription.html

World's First Legal For Trade Pocket / Mini Scale

Tanita is proud to introduce the world’s first pocket/mini “Legal for Trade digital scale”. Tanita is known for the highest quality digital pocket scales in the world. The finest quality merchandise always costs more and there is no way one can attempt to contrast Tanita products verses other scales. Whether you're a jeweler weighing small pieces of gold or silver, clinician weighing medicine, or a law enforcement agency weighing small quantities of narcotics, the Tanita AP-101 will weigh certifiably accurate. Smooth design, thin-pocket size, durable, lightweight, and the protective cover insure the weighing tray is not pressured when the scale is in your shirt pocket or bring transported.

dont go to mg but anyone after a good bit of scale these look nice also some tanita scales pocket type 1479v are fakes being sold on ebay (chek this consumer warning on website) this one a lil exy but appears to be a good quality unit

Ed's being the big bad scale-monster again :rolleyes:

But, fair dinkum, these bastards shit me (not you Yowie). The pricks make measurement devices, so they're aware of 'accuracy', but they've found more money in baffling people with bullshit.

"Legal for trade"

Where?

How accurate?

Use these for real business and explain that to the Dept. of Weights & Measures (or whatever they call themselves these days). Although your chances of getting inspected are so slim it's far beyond a joke anyway.

The SAB-shop scales (whilst not what I'd call certifiably accurate) beat these hands-down.

ed