The Corroboree
botanika

psychedelic sketches

I did these yesterday with some chalk pastels, which I hadn't used in a long time, and thought I'd share them here. Each one took about 2 hours from start to finish. Sort of Alex Grey inspired. Im impressed with chalk pastels ability to render quick colourful art and recommend it to anyone wanting to get dirty fingers :D

post-1159-1139043005_thumb.jpg

post-1159-1139043040_thumb.jpg

bloodyfuckingtastic, wau i realy like those sketches!

i would like some of your art in my humble collection hopefully we can do a trade, i offer dollares or plants and materials, i'll pm you.

:wub::blink:

yeah very nice sketches

excellent work

:D

I particularly like the scond one, it gives me fond memories of the night we all spent sitting around the campfire on the big trip. was it Sunday or Monday I cant remember?

You have some real talent there my friend, something to really hold dear. I wish I still had those kind of skills, I foolishly turned my back on my artisitc talent many years ago and seriously regret it.

botanika...those are absolutely fantastic sketches, I love them! You are very talented. Thankyou for sharing

:wub::):wub::):wub:

You have some real talent there my friend, something to really hold dear. I wish I still had those kind of skills, I foolishly turned my back on my artisitc talent many years ago and seriously regret it.

it's never too late :)

You have some serious talent there botanika!!

I love the twirling smoke figures in the second one. Youve done an awesome job. I cant believe you did these in two hours.

It would take me a life time to try and do something like that. I havent got an artistic bone in my body.

Well done!!! you should be proud.

Thanks all :blush: - I appreciate the comments and I am now inspired to do some more in the coming weeks!

cheers

All I can say is WOW :worship:

you've moved my morning mate... beauty has come from your hands... :D :D :D

Bit late, but these are brilliant :)

How big are the originals?

Bit late, but these are brilliant :)

How big are the originals?

Cheers! They are B2 paper size I think - its in between A2 and A1 but I dont know the cm dimensions sorry. They are done on canson paper. Here is another one I did for my GF the other night. This one was done on smaller A3 size paper but its harder to sketch in detail at this size.

post-1159-1139969098_thumb.jpg

wow that is gorgeous!! thanks so much for sharing.. do you have More?!!

I've always had a few boxes of those chalk pastels lying around, and every time i use them it ends up a smudgy mess, this is very inspiring though, i may give them another try.. is there a particular technique for keeping all the colours as separately defined without the dusty melding? know what i mean..?

is there a particular technique for keeping all the colours as separately defined without the dusty melding? know what i mean..?

It doesn't start looking good until the end. The canson paper is sort of rough so you have to keep building it up until the chalk is being laid over previous layers of chalk and it is filling in all the rough depressions in the paper - at that point it starts looking like airbrush or photoshop. I usually smudge in the colours and add the detail and highlights at the end. You can get some really good transparent effects by lightly smudging white chalk over darker areas (like the glow in the girls wings in the last of my pics).

Experimenting with different colour paper helps too. If you want a darker picture, try using black, grey or dark blue paper - the yellows and whites really jump out in contrast!

I'll try doing some more soon. These were done to get me back into the swing of it. cheers

Dude you could make a living out of these artworks...you should offer them up for sale through one of those "new-age" shops, you'd do quite well I think.

Top work!

I LOVE the fairy, thats jst beautiful, I cant find the rihgt words to do it justice..

Awesome work.

And those technique tips are handy. I'd dabbled in the past with them but found the same dusty melding of the colours turned me off. Sounds like I'll have to give it another go... :)

Keep it up!

Dude you could make a living out of these artworks...you should offer them up for sale through one of those "new-age" shops, you'd do quite well I think.

Top work!

Thanks mescalito, I make a decent living as a design leader so my hands are usually covered in pen marks each day and my mind racing with concepts. My 'fine art', if you could call it that, and music are occasional personal hobbies for the time being. Happy to sell or trade a few artworks on here though if anyones interested :)

I used to spray it with this special laquer aerosol you can get from art shops or hairspray in a pinch, it holds it too the page.

You can go in stages kind of like painting with oils in the fashion.

yeah fixative or hairspray is good when working with pastels, you can get the former in matt and gloss. My step-Dad went through a pastel phase awhile ago, and he'd go through cans and cans of the stuff, I reckon he was off his trolley from the fumes :lol: His landscapes are fantastic, reminiscent of impressionism, or perhaps more vangogh-ish, lots of small strokes...exceedingly interesting to look at when you're in the right frame of mind :wink:

You've inspired me botanika...I'm gonna get mine out and have another go!

thanks botanika, for the tips! and also Andy and wandjina!

i have used hairspray in the past (not to preserve the shoddy work, but to keep it from smudging all over everything else..) but i didn't know you could layer it, that's great.

..looks like you have started a mini chalk pastel revolution, botanika! ^_^

i can't believe i've missed this thread!

wow, you are an amazing artist man! can't wait to see more (you better be sketching ;)

Holy Crap!

They are awesome.

When I get a bigger place would love to get a piece by you.