The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

T. bridgesii pup going 4 ribbed?

What do you guys think? It looks like one of the ribs has stopped and the other four have kept going.

Do I have a winner?

unlikley but not impossible

more likley its messing with you id say

i have ones that do that sometimes

Cheeky bugger. I love it anyway :lol:

On a side note, that cactus seems to be putting most of its energy into the pup and less into the main branch.

Would I be better off cutting the pup off and rooting it on its own or letting it grow where it is?

they do that

i wouldnt be suprised if the pup is fatter than the parent

i would leave it alone to get as big as it can before the end of the growing season.

cut off and reroot either in the last few weeks of the season or in spring

never remove a up at that size if u can help it. it doesnt have the critical mass to recover and grow fat and fast yet

On a side note, that cactus seems to be putting most of its energy into the pup and less into the main branch.

Ribbed for apo's pleasure :P

I've noticed with pachanois mainly, but would be the same with others, as you said the energy goes into the pup, the main column will dehydrate more whilst the pup fattens up. It's probably easier to do to ground planted ones, but i've found upping the water is beneficial here to the point where the main column stays plump and not sunken ribs. I lightly squeeze the ribs every few days and adjust accordingly. Eventually they all generally catch up to each other around equal heights it seems, or there abouts.

My ground planted pach's 1st side branch slowed the main, now the 1st branch is 1/2->3/4 way up the main column, now a new pup formed over the last few weeks and i'm expecting both to slow a little and the 3rd will catch up to a reasonable height then they all grow on. IME anyway.

Nice looking bridgesii :worship:

never remove a up at that size if u can help it. it doesnt have the critical mass to recover and grow fat and fast yet

Hmm..that's not what I wanted to hear at all lol! Not so much for this pup, but the Eileen pup I got is roughly the same size.

some of our bridgesii do this occasional montrose thing quite regularly.

So far this branch looks like it has four ribs, it is an RS0005 bridgesii.

post-1018-1138733853_thumb.jpg

i had a scop which had 5 ribs, droped one, then another havinf 3 ribs for a short time only to pick up a rib a short time later on the opposite side, looks cool. bet it drops it then picks one up, or you could be luckey

Hmm..that's not what I wanted to hear at all lol! Not so much for this pup, but the Eileen pup I got is roughly the same size.

you could cut it but you would lose much potential growth in lost time and the pup would thin as it grew

if u leave attached they grow much faster as the root system is supporting them

if you want to bulk up numbers then getting several feet of vertical growth is good- then you chop to chunks

if you are always cutting you break the momentum and IME yield less biomass over the medium term

a 4 ribbed bridgesii i'm babysitting for a mate

post-251-1139281644_thumb.jpgpost-251-1139281659_thumb.jpgpost-251-1139281676_thumb.jpgpost-251-1139281692_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281644_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281659_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281676_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281692_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281644_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281659_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281676_thumb.jpg

post-251-1139281692_thumb.jpg

whoa Ferret

youve certainly got your finger in a tasty pie ;)

Was wondering the same thing as Apo as my fastest growing eileen pup has recently gone 4-ribbed.

Heres hoping.. ^_^ post-1069-1139294625_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1139294625_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1139294625_thumb.jpg

Bridgedsii's are pretty cool indeed! I like their tendecy to rib or un-rib regularly. what is causing this - could it be considered a genetic instability?

brid's are probably my fav's of the trichs. bummer they handle lots of humidity a little less better then Patch's & Peruv's.

Ferret,... the pics of your Brids are nice!

I thought that health was a major factor...the happier the less ribs?

or not...

Nah I don't reckon. Infact I have noticed the opposite - the happier the more ribs. I remember reading a report somewhere of an experiment some guy did of leaving his cacti in ridiculously small pots, it caused them to drop ribs. Cacti weren't too happy about it though.