The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Caapi vines available

Man loves winter in sydney, especially with bodo love nervosa.

Edited by darcy

Do you think it'll do ok in Sydney darcy? Especially considering winter is coming around?

I'd love one, but I don't want to be responsible for the death of one either.

you might need to protect it for the first winter, but once they go woody they will cope with anything except frost (or maybe even a light one of those).

So they don't need uber humidity and special care like P. Viridis?

Hmm...

Darcy...got any cuttings that are woodier than the others? :D

I was going to say I'd love one, until I realised just how many orders I've made recently and how many plants I'm waiting on hehe.

Damn you people and your sale of immensely interesting plants!

If some of the orders come soon, I will definitely message you though.

[ 27. March 2005, 09:06: Message edited by: apothecary ]

heh heh apoth try living in a unit!

also im currently unemployed so hard not to spend money... so temping!

i been wanting a caapi for ages but gotta pass... next spring i will tho

I got a caapi vine from SAB during February.

I live in Western Sydney, and just keep it in a little bunnings 'greenhouse'.

It looks very health about 6 weeks later, and I believe it has a few new shoots. So, you should go OK with it Apo.

I live about as far south as you can get on the mainland and my Caapi lives quite happily in one of those $39.00 wardrobe style green houses , in my shed , under a fibreglass sky light.It's only a new plant but has put on well over 1.5 metres in the last couple of months , Viridis is slow but i think that could be expected but still grows new sets of leaves every month latley. The real killer is the leonotis this stuff grows looking at it At first i was worried if they were getting enough light , then i thought " these guys live in rain forests " even seen how much light gets into a rain forest ? these guys are right at home in my shed :D

hmm but neither of you 2 guys have had one over winter yet

:)

we shall see how it goes...

p.s. wilsons prom is a nice area... went camping there once...

I got one early last year. I trimmed it back and sat it on my windowsill in my room over winter. It didn't look great but it survived and has shot out several new vines over summer. This winter I might leave it in the undercover courtyard/pergola kinda area at my mum's place.

I,ve had one for a couple of years and it lives outside(I live approx 2 hours south of Sydney),never had a problem.Its growing slowly but healthy, it was a small cutting to start with.All my plants live outside,in sheltered positions and I,ve never really had any trouble growing anything except piper methysticum,probably because it was winter when I got it.Most things seem to harden off well if you take your time with them and use some common sense.I have peruvian ice cream bean(not old enough to fruit yet),pineapple,fruiting right now,papaya,p.viridis,baby foxtail palms from N.Q.,a cacti collection,I,ve even got a few mangosteen plants though I doubt they will ever fruit.I have quite a few things that you wouldnt expect to grow down here also I prefer not to have my plants indoors over winter so everything goes outside and so far most have survived.So it just goes to show the importance of micro-climates and the range of conditions some plants can handle.

[ 04. April 2005, 09:30: Message edited by: Andrew ]

I've actually seen Andrew's garden and that's a spot-on description.

As he was showing me around his plants he actually taught me that there could be different micro-climates within a reasonable size yard.

Since moving to a more arid climate I've used this technique with plant placement so far and things are starting to take shape nicely.

I'm going to try to move my seed-grown caapi outdoors in spring (fingers crossed) though the climate here's not as humid as sydney but living on a hill frosts are rare.