Sign in to follow this  
Rev

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:

An Empirical Study

Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2

17 Feb 2005

1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.

2: Media Laboratory, MIT.

Abstract

Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

Introduction

It has long been suspected that the government has been using satellites to read and control the minds of certain citizens. The use of aluminum helmets has been a common guerrilla tactic against the government's invasive tactics [1]. Surprisingly, these helmets can in fact help the government spy on citizens by amplifying certain key frequency ranges reserved for government use. In addition, none of the three helmets we analyzed provided significant attenuation to most frequency bands.

We describe our experimental setup, report our results, and conclude with a few design guidelines for constructing more effective helmets.

Experimental Setup

The three helmet types tested

The Classical The Fez

The Centurion

We evaluated the performance of three different helmet designs, commonly referred to as the Classical, the Fez, and the Centurion. These designs are portrayed in Figure 1. The helmets were made of Reynolds aluminium foil. As per best practices, all three designs were constructed with the double layering technique described elsewhere [2].

A radio-frequency test signal sweeping the ranges from 10 Khz to 3 Ghz was generated using an omnidirectional antenna attached to the Agilent 8714ET's signal generator.

The experimental apparatus, including a data recording laptop, a $250,000 network analyser, and antennae.

A network analyser (Agilent 8714ET) and a directional antenna measured and plotted the signals. See Figure 2.

Because of the cost of the equipment (about $250,000), and the limited time for which we had access to these devices, the subjects and experimenters performed a few dry runs before the actual experiment (see Figure 3).

Test subjects during a dry run.

The receiver antenna was placed at various places on the cranium of 4 different subjects: the frontal, occipital and parietal lobes. Once with the helmet off and once with the helmet on. The network analyzer plotted the attenuation betwen the signals in these two settings at different frequencies, from 10Khz to 3 Ghz. Figure 4 shows a typical plot of the attenuation at different frequencies.

A typical attenuation trace form the network analyser

Results

For all helmets, we noticed a 30 db amplification at 2.6 Ghz and a 20 db amplification at 1.2 Ghz, regardless of the position of the antenna on the cranium. In addition, all helmets exhibited a marked 20 db attenuation at around 1.5 Ghz, with no significant attenuation beyond 10 db anywhere else.

Conclusion

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.

Acknowledgments

The authors would like to thank Andy (Xu) Sun of the MIT Media Lab for helping with the equipment, Professor George Sergiadis for lending us the antennae, and Professor Neil Gershenfeld for allowing us the use of his lab equipment.

No way man, Noone give into this report!!! The government did this report man the freaking government...Their just trying to ram this jargon down our throats to get US to take OUR helmets off..They do work man. Once well all take our shiny helmets off thats when they hit us, read our minds, take our feeling and our thoughts...saying they actually help them spy on us is a lie!!! DONT give in fellow brothers...leave the caps on... :D

Dam I'm taking mine off :ana:

You could stick your head inside a microwave oven, they are essentially a Faraday cage.

I sometimes put my mobile phone in there to avoid calls (WITHOUT turning the microwave on) :rolleyes:

Man... people should have listened... I always said aluminum foil wouldnt work.

I hope some followed my instructions for copper wool lined grounded copper foil helmets

err, aluminium foil != tin foil.

tin foil here.

i personally have a corrigated iron hat with guttering and water collectors. we are in a drought, after all.

actually i know what's going on , they really work don't they......this is all some sort of conspiricy to get me me to take mine off , well I'm onto you big brother..........ahhhh the voices , the voices ....... :wacko:

no the conspiracy was to get you to put one on

those people deemed a threat to THEM were convinced of their efficacy

THEY convinced you to put on the beanies when in fact this was all part of THEIR plan.

see without the amplifying effects of the beanies on the specific wavelengths used for mind control it will not work

THEIR paln had been working, keeping these would be enemies inside, in the dark, with no excercise in front of the computer, obviously not breeding and regarded as incredible by society at large

this study has blown THEIR cover

but dont worry THEIR anti-propaganda machine will swing back into force lest you take off the beanies and disbale THEIR mind machine plans

(;))

LOL ,

GO AUSSIES.

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/6/5/10

Physicists have shown for the first time that electrical signals in the human brain are amplified by noise. This effect is called ‘stochastic resonance’ and is well known in a wide range of systems, including living organisms. But the discovery by Toshio Mori and Shoichi Kai of the University of Kyushu in Japan is the first observation of stochastic resonance in the information processing part of the human central nervous system (T Mori and S Kai 2002 Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 218101).

In many complex systems, weak periodic signals can be strengthened by noise. This happens when random peaks in the noisy signal coincide with regular peaks in the periodic signal. This stochastic – meaning ‘random’ – resonance is most effective when the noisy signal has a certain amplitude relative to the periodic signal. Scientists have already found evidence for the effect in humans, in the control of blood pressure in the brain and in the sense of touch.

In their study, Mori and Kai shone light signals into the eyes of five students while measuring their brain waves. Brain waves are electrical signals with frequencies ranging from 0.5 to 60 Hz that can be detected via electrodes attached to the scalp. So-called alpha waves have frequencies between 8 and 13 Hz, and are emitted when the brain is at rest.

The researchers shone p

eriodic signals onto the right eyelids and noisy signals onto the left eyelids of the students as they rested, and measured the intensity of their alpha brain waves. As expected they found a sharp peak at 5 Hz, the frequency of the periodic signal. But when they increased the strength of the noise signal relative to the periodic signal, a ‘harmonic’ peak emerged in the alpha waves at 10 Hz. As the noise signal became stronger, this peak first intensified and then diminished.

Mori and Kai believe that the harmonic peak is good evidence for stochastic resonance in the visual cortex of the brain because it reaches a maximum at a particular signal-to-noise ratio. They are also confident that the effect took place in the brain – rather than in the eyes – because they placed a light-proof screen between each student’s eyes so that the signals did not interfere outside the head.

There are many natural sources of electrical noise in the brain, including electrochemical reactions and random firing of neurons, which could lead to stochastic resonance. Following their discovery, Mori and Kai speculate that the effect could play a role in complex brain functions such as perception and cognition.

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/abstract/24/44/9897

Spiral Waves in Disinhibited Mammalian Neocortex

Xiaoying Huang,1 William C. Troy,2 Qian Yang,1 Hongtao Ma,1 Carlo R. Laing,3 Steven J. Schiff,4 and Jian-Young Wu1

1Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20057, 2Department of Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, 3Department of Mathematics, Massey University, 102-904 Auckland, New Zealand, and 4Department of Psychology and Program in Neuroscience, Krasnow Institute, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia 22030

Spiral waves are a basic feature of excitable systems. Although such waves have been observed in a variety of biological systems, they have not been observed in the mammalian cortex during neuronal activity. Here, we report stable rotating spiral waves in rat neocortical slices visualized by voltage-sensitive dye imaging. Tissue from the occipital cortex (visual) was sectioned parallel to cortical lamina to preserve horizontal connections in layers III-V (500-µm-thick, ~4 x 6 mm2). In such tangential slices, excitation waves propagated in two dimensions during cholinergic oscillations. Spiral waves occurred spontaneously and alternated with plane, ring, and irregular waves. The rotation rate of the spirals was ~10 turns per second, and the rotation was linked to the oscillations in a one-cycle- one-rotation manner. A small (

----------------------------------------

Some new research for a new era of metal foil beanies although they forgot to mention the propeller on top which is for scaring away the blood sucking plaque laden flyimg bugs.

Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals.

What a great way to start off a scientific article.

I think these helmets are a sensible precaution. We just don't know the full extent of what all this electromagnetic radiation might be doing to our minds and bodies. You've only got to look back to some of the old footage of people bathing in DDT vapour to realise that reassurances from the experts are no guarantee that these things are safe.

If it were me I'd sooner mount a makeshift quagi antenna and satellite dish to my head because I'd want to know what THEY'RE up to.

Armadillo helmets work best...