The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiraleyes

forest floor

fungii flushes through the parklands too.must have seen about a dozen different kinds,including the ones i was looking for[still in small numbers].

about this time of year my radar goes off and i'm on edge until i find some.dont have to eat,just connect is enough.though i usually absorb some through my skin anyway.

enjoy the winter peoples.

t s t .

Melb is having a great season

I have not encountered a single mushroom of any description around here.

it's meant to be winter and the days are still sunny and dry...

frown.gif sydney sucks.

Guest Mesqualero

I'm still wondering if there has been any reports of woodloving shrooms in the Brisbane area...anyone?

Guest reville

WA report

Theres gold in them thar hills...

WA strain prints for the AFSR promised really soon.

Cant wait.

oh happy day, it's great being me. i'm grinning so hard i can hardly see, better ease up before i bust a tooth. let me explain- some years ago i found a type of psilo and despite subsequent seasons of searching i've never been able to locate any since. well today i've took off in the 4wd, headed into the dark dank inner reaches of the forest, had to clear fallen trees off the road and battle through walls of blackberry.

found my regular type of shroom, (lives by the roadside near pine or native) which is app 100mm tall, cap glossy mustard up to 30mm wide, stains blue, purple black print,etc. the real triumph was being reunited with this one: blue staining, up to 120mm tall, cap satin finish fawn up to 60mm wide, purple black print, found under pinus radiata.

both are indistinguishable classic psilos when young. not having any glee with the I.D, despite loking at references from stamets, etc. i'm taking prints if any capable dabblers want to take them for a run or try to I.D them.

Id love to get those identified although i need a dried gill fragment to do so... Sound very interesting - judging by your location they could be one of Guzman's mushrooms

Many psilocybes prefer disturbed environments such as landscaped gardens, etc.

Bloody everywhere in melb - found one spot of the wavy-capped Subaeruginosa variant and we counted nearly 3000 fruits before we gave up!! Unbelievable - and right under heaps of people's noses too!!

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 19 June 2002).]

WD are we going to name a species after you? Psilocybe waterdragonia?

bwaaaahaa. waterdragonii? alright meanie send me some details ie your snailer. i'll have some prints and samples of both types sent off to thee and hopefully you'll have a theory on the naming of them.

aaarrgh, it just gets worse. now i've found another patch some miles away. large caps, staining blue but with yellow gills. haven't got a colour on the print yet. no wonder there's such confusion with the oz species, it's high time there was a comprehensive reference for these. might have to spread myself thinly ie psilocybe waterii (sounds uncomfortable)

Aren't the yellow gilled ones toxic (ie not Psilocybes).....?

I found a few dozen amanita,s yesterday,

wish I had a digital camera,some of these

are so beautiful with their different tones of red/orange.They were in a small pine forest,they seem to be in every pine stand in my area.

thanks for that response torsten. that'll save me from doing a munch, the yellow gilled are not showing any colour at all in the print. apart from that they look just like the other psilos and they stain blue.

most psilocybes start with mustard yellow gills that develop into a brownish colour when they begin to sporulate - especially with aussie psilocybes that have very little in the way of a veil, the gills are exposed early on in the maturity and are often that colour.

yepyep, that is the case for the first two types that i found but these latter specimens still have the yellow gills at full maturity....and an invisible sporeprint.

You guys live in the land of milk and honey!

I am just getting into fungi, bummer that there isn't plenty of rain here.

I have seen many types of fungi growing here when it rains, none that stain blue so far.

Will visit the cow pasture lands when the rains hit and distribute some spores of heat loving types.

B.

Waterdragon - did you get that email??

wasn't there a few hours back, i'll go check then respond to it if i find it - or respond here if i don't find it - or i'll just email you.

Shitloads of Fly in Haig, Hague whatever, Park in the middle of Canberra.

l8r K.

Yeah, I know I'm the only sucker to live in the ACT.

Guest reville
Originally posted by squiresk:

Shitloads of Fly in Haig, Hague whatever, Park in the middle of Canberra.

l8r K.

Yeah, I know I'm the only sucker to live in the ACT.

Watch out though - the ACT is also infected with Deathcaps - id be especially careful in ID'ing them

Ive heard that canberra is home to manty european and nth american exotics due to the indroduction of imported trees in the past.

Guest reville
Originally posted by BIZZ:

all of this and ive still had no help!

Whats the question BIZZ? i cantfind your Q in this thread.

Originally posted by Mesqualero:

I'm still wondering if there has been any reports of woodloving shrooms in the Brisbane area...anyone?

To fruit, the Adelaide woodlovers seem to need a couple of 5C minima days, plus rain, natch. We've had a late starting season here due to the dry Autumn. Now, pure speculation mode on. If you get hold of a climate atlas, then it would appear that the highlands around the Tenterfield/Glen Innes area might theoretically fit the bill. The second ingredient you would probably need is a pine forest. So, it's not quite the Brisbane area, but certainly within striking distance.

Unfortunately, I suspect this season might be abnormally poor. If you go on a hunt, you really need to be able to distinguish between the situation where there aren't many woodlovers, versus the situation where there isn't much fungi, period. Around my way, there is quite a predictable phasing of fungi growth which helps establish where in the season you happen to be. That is, it starts with slimey brown toadstool thingies (that was a technical term smile.gif), followed by the fly agarics, followed by the woodlovers, and concludes with bleached, dried, fungi.