The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Caldeye

PSYLOCYBE FANATICUS busted

Been following this for a few days. A whole new can of legal worms they are opening there. And quite scary, as the australian laws are similar enough to aloow for the same processes here.

Soon it will not be possible to provide information while selling plantmaterials.

again, i wonder why it took them so long.

are the laws here closer to the US or the UK- as far as 'shrooms go?

when i was in london last year, i was amazed at the huge number ov people growing shrooms. a few ov them dealing quite large volumes.

many ov the kits/spores come from amsterdam- & so far no problems w/customs.

in the UK they are not a drug, they are a wildflower- until "processed", so any growing material is quite legal.

i'm unaware ov any legal moves in the UK to stop the trade.

Originally posted by nabraxas:

are the laws here closer to the US or the UK- as far as 'shrooms go?

Sadly much closer to the US.

hehhe, not to worry folks, the underground will flourish again because of these shaity hurdles....

positive IRIE & openminded, I and I!

Man, even the DEA can grow shrooms - I got to get my act together.

If natural cultivation became more widespread - with mushrooms springing up on front lawns and garden beds they would have great trouble pinning charges of "manufacturing an illicit substance" on people. Gardeners can't be responsible for freak acts of nature after all.

"Gardeners can't be responsible for freak acts of nature after all. "

could that apply for certain plants too? I hear Poppies are pretty stop form growing each year once they have had one season in a plot of soil.

-bumpy

Originally posted by spaced:

Man, even the DEA can grow shrooms - I got to get my act together.

LOL.

Mr Bumpy - sadly poppies dont' work that way. They are in the top weed category in most/all councils in australia and this category makes it the owners responsibility to "report, destroy, and continually suppress" these 'weeds'.

Although, most people don't know these laws, so i find that donating seeds to certain people usually means they nurture the plants without fear or consequence.

"poppies... it the owners responsibility to "report, destroy, and continually suppress" these 'weeds'"

Wouldnt harvesting all the unripe seed pods count as 'continually suppressing' the spreading of the noxious weed?

BTW, http://www.weeds.org.au/search.htmHere is a searchable database of plants designated noxious weeds in Australia

It lists no member of the papaver genus for any state or district in Australia. The only noxious poppies listed are Argemone mexicana (fully noxious in WA) and Argemone ochroleuca (fully noxious in WA, and growth and spread to be controled in NT).

Torsten, where did you hear that papaver was a noxious weed in Australia?

Interesting. I suppose if you sell spores with instructions on how to cultivate them, you'll get that in the end.

The guy was a wanker anyway - he claimed total responsibility for all cubensis cultivation on his site...

Originally posted by Auxin:

Torsten, where did you hear that papaver was a noxious weed in Australia?

It is the way the single convention is enforced in australia. You can check the weed laws in every council district. Weed or city councils make the declaration and enforce it.

if you search for "Papaver somniferum" in australia you will find mostly links to council websites.

In WA at least, Papaver somniferum, Papaver bracteatum and Cannabis species are covered under the Misuse of Drugs act 1981. Hence having opium poppies spring up in the front garden is seen as cultivation of an illegal plant. I haven't heard of anyone getting busted for growing the P somniferum as most cops (who enforce the MODA) probably wouldn't know what they looked like anyway. Curiously with proposed softening of Cannabis laws it would be a greater offence to have two opium poppies growing than it would be to have two Cannabis plants growing, and yet many people grow opium poppies as quite an innocent ornamental, with no intention of making heroin or opium.

Psilocybin mushroom spores, supposedly, travel to earth from outerspace. Hence, the home gardener has about as much hope of protecting his/her garden from the emergence of psilocybin containing mushrooms as (s)he does of protecting the front lawn from cosmic radiation. Having an abundance of organic matter in the garden and using a minimum of pesticides and artificial chemicals will only increase the probability of stray cosmic spores colonising the garden. And even if you don't agree with the cosmic spore theory there are always "accidents" occuring. For instance some Psilocybe mycelia may "accidentally" be introduced into the local soil retailers pile of cow manure and then distributed to local gardens.

I really don't think home gardeners should have to take any responsibility for any "mind altering" plants that pop up in their gardens. In WA there are archaic laws which make it illegal to grow any plant containing any "drug of addiction" ie any S8 or S9 poison. These laws are absurd for a number of reasons:

- home gardeners are often growing plants for other purposes (eg ornamental [papaver sp], food [Pandanus sp]) and have no idea of their "drug of addiction]containing properties.

- plants may come up as weeds eg Arundo donax, phalaris sp which the gardener did not plant

- certain native species contain "drugs of addiction" such as Ipomoea muellerii.

As far as I know these laws, relics of the past, have not been used. The document containing them is called the Poisons Act 1964 and off the top of my head I believe it defines a prohibited plant as any plant from which a drug of addiction can be manufactured, or any part of that plant. Hence even plants containing precursor compounds could be considered to be prohibited. The definition of a "prohibited plant" makes no reference to mushrooms or animals as these are not plants. However any effort to extract or process the material into a useable form could be seen as manufacturing a drug of addiction which could get you and even your landlord (MODA 1981) into a lot of trouble.

thanks for the info spaced, you are obviously well-versed in WA drug law.

I would like to second, (probably being equally well versed), that no mushroom spores of any genus are prohibited by WA law.

However, a case could be made simply for mycelia grown from such spores.

It would be prudent to not discuss this too much lest law-officials be watching.

But it worries me the way australia is going...laxer laws for cannabis, yet outlawing SD and potentially Kratom??????????

Cannabis to me is one of the most potentially psychotic-inducing drugs available. A recent report from the mental health bureau of WA reported that over 50% of people in the mental health care system were there because of Cannabis-related psychosis!

Don't get me wrong, Im all for the decriminalization for all drugs and ethno/entheo genic plants, but the tack our Gov. seems to be taking is just plainly absurd@@

SO I can report the police for not supressing that little marijuana plant in their garden that someone planted and they havent noticed?

Shit yeah!!

I say spread the seed till it becomes wild

After all, the bastards only declare part of their seizure seizure (freudian slip) :D

No it's not for everyone;but,it's for some-one!!

Make it hard to get and we will work harder to get it.Better crop than cotton too!

Don't get me wrong, Im all for the decriminalization for all drugs and ethno/entheo genic plants, but the tack our Gov. seems to be taking is just plainly absurd@@

Well of course it is! What do you expect from a government that frantically joins the US in invading another country?

The thing is, as long as there are enough idiots around who vote for these arseholes things will only get worse.

Labor may not be ideal but still the lesser evil.

Vote green!

[ 05. April 2003, 07:26: Message edited by: gomaos ]

"Labor may not be ideal but still the lesser evil.

Vote green!"

The american libertarian party has a saying 'if you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil'. Doesnt Australia have a political party, no matter how small, thats actually rational. It must- even the USA has one! If the USA can make a rational and honest politician anybody can.

As Douglas Adams says in one of his books - anyone that wants to be in power is the last person you actually want to have in power.

Buy up supplies, head for the hills and wait for society to implode. Or explode if Dubya has his way.

Belfy