The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Customs grrrr!

Just got around to opening fridays mail and these f*ckers seem to have it in for me too.

Ephedra nevadensis seed (cleared by quarantine) was confiscated on the basis that the genus ephedra is know to contain the prohibited drug ephedrine.

Now I knew that they will not allow any seed that contains a scheduled substance, but what is totally new is that they are now confiscating seed that does not contain the substance, but the plant that can be grown from it contains it.

This means a whole lot of seeds have just become illegal to import.

I will be having anothe rlook thorugh the act and if I don't find a direct reference to seed prohibition, then I will pass this straight onto my solicitor. Customs is becoming arbitrary and malicious (they released a shipment of ephedra nevadensis seed to a friend of mine only a week ago!).

maybe our reliance on imports is part of the problem. guvvy fuckwits will always be fuckwits and what's worse is we have to fund them. i think it's our duty as custodians of useful plants to see that they multiply to the point of being commonplace.

Do they always send a nice letter when they nick sumfin'?

I seem to be short a book from MAPS and one of two parcels of melatonin ( the other arrived no prob and a script was enclosed ) and gawd knows what else. I haven't yet received any documentation saying Customs have them- but given the arbitrary high handedness they wield these days would they bother to notify me?

yes, they always send a nice letter.... except when they are staking you out and waiting for something more worthwhile wink.gif

Like when AQIS thought I was a big-time commercial plant importer (on the basis that I sent a cutting in a tiny rockwoolcube glued to the bottom of a tissueculture tube) and they sent an investigator to try and find me. Taxpayer paid holiday in Byron Bay, with free visits to Fruitspirit Botanical Gardens and Medicine Garden wink.gif

Anyway, I suspect the reason why you haven't got the letter/parcel yet is that it got messed up in x-mas mail. It happens a fair bit at this time of year that overseas postal people stick the parcel in the SAL bag rather than the airmail bag. Expect your parcels about 8 weeks late.....

ah yeah, waterdragon.....what do you think we've been trying to do for the last few years wink.gif

Originally posted by Torsten:

Expect your parcels about 8 weeks late.....

Later than what... one was sposed to have been sent in October, the second lot of melo was posted on the same day as the first smile.gif

Originally posted by Darklight:

Later than what... one was sposed to have been sent in October, the second lot of melo was posted on the same day as the first smile.gif

Later than airmail. ie, if it normally takes 2-3 weeks by air, then it might take about 10-12 weeks by ship.

Then again I find that usually when things don't arrive (especially if it is two items from one place) the best place to start looking is the supplier rather than the postal system. 9 times out of 10 they screwed up or ripped off.

Originally posted by Torsten:

Customs is becoming arbitrary and malicious (they released a shipment of ephedra nevadensis seed to a friend of mine only a week ago!).

Yeah fuck those bastards. We desperately need a change of government.

Now "the crocodile hunter" makes commercials for them on tv. Fuck him too and boycott him for it, don't watch his shows anymore!

actually, he is doing ads for AQIS and other than that their priorities are commercially kewed, I actually don't have a problem with them. Australia would not be the nice place it is if we didn't have quarantine. I just don't approve of the way they do things.

Does anyone know if there is still a requirement to provide photo id for overseas parcels??

My post office lady confirmed it today, but only for those parcels over 100g ( wonder how long til they lower the limit? )

actually, it is 500g. But don't expect any staff to know the full story yet. I got 4 different answers from 5 different staff.

that would really be a WHOLE lot of seeds,

that affair in the uk with ricin etc, earn't the front page of the paper in sydney and a seperate article discussing extractions of poisons from plants, which could also be bad

news given the classifications some plants are earning.

You were investigating a novel seed food - from Jane Spottedbird at http://nasa.utep.edu/chih/gardens/plants/ethnobot.htm

Ephedra nevadensis. Ephedraceae.

Common Names: Indian tea, Mormon tea, Mexican tea, "tutut" (Cahuilla).

USAGES

FOOD

1) Cahuilla: Used fresh or dry twigs and boiled for tea which was a very popular drink. Also, seeds ground into a meal which was then made into a mush.

2) Panamint: Seeds ground into a flour which was then used to make bitter breads or cakes.

3) Papago: Used this plant to make a tea.

LITERATURE

Castetter, E. F., and R. M. Underhill. 1935. The ethnobiology of the Papago. University New Mexico Bulletin, Oct.

Eberling, W. 1986. Handbook of Indian foods and fibers of arid America. University California Press, Los Angeles.

sorry theo, food or no food -- it is still illegal in oz. Your point may be a good defence for someone who gets busted twice though wink.gif

"that affair in the uk with ricin etc, earn't the front page of the paper in sydney and a seperate article discussing extractions of poisons from plants, which could also be bad

news given the classifications some plants are earning"- totally agree; ricin from castor beans. the beans are uncontrolled(?). the ricin has no antidote. makes the controls on, for an example- mariajuana seeds (for their chemical potential as opposed to their envoiromental impact) seem silly.