The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
whiterasta

First areolar graft

A tiny lopho pup on a backenberg pancho.

I carefully removed the upper areola and cut free the pup and VIOLA! I am interested if this type of graft is more suited to the overall growth habits of the Trich genus as its pups form at the areola I am hoping to have an increased growth over the standard top graft as well as being able to add many pups to one rootstock.

WR

graft.jpg

Very nice!

Can you provide more info on how you went about it, etc, I think this is something a lot of people are curious about.

Go Whiterasta!

Nice post, for one of your first.

Looks like we've got another valuable addition to the community. :)

But, yes, more detail please!

Thank you folks!

As you can see on the pic if you slice carefully just the raised portion of the areola as it crests the top curve of the cactus it will form a circular slice that is very nearly level.

As I have a Loph which has thrown a bunch of small pups I noticed i had a pup which was almost exactly the right size to fit the cut.

I carefully sliced it from the rootstock and then recut it to remove any rootbark I simply pressed it into the depression of the cut areola.

I will try to post regularly it's progression and development.

I have another tiny pup which I will attempt same at the base and see if placement is a factor also.I am tempted to use a cuzcoensis and make use of the more pronounced V to lodge the graftfor the bottom graft try.

WR

[ 15. September 2005, 03:01: Message edited by: whiterasta ]

The second day after the initial graft a touchy friend came by and knocked off the scion I recut it leaving just barely a nub of tissue ~.5cm X .25cm in size and regrafted it further down the stalk per thoughts on inhibition near the meristem.

In spite of the black scab the graft has taken and has begun growing (note the separation of the creases in the loph indicating vascularization) I will continue to update the growth of the graft.

WR

areolarloph.jpg

So did you get a little 'touchy' on your friends face? I would have! :)

Thanks for the update WR, keep us posted.

i have been experimenting with this kind grafting too, i got more loph seedlings than i have mature pereskiopsis,

dont know just yet how they will turn out,

have posted this in another thread but this thread is more relative.

these too were only my third attemp grafting aireoles.

love to see some more weird arse grafts

fingerscrossed.jpg

lophonpachanoi.jpg

[ 24. September 2005, 15:19: Message edited by: jasemateau ]

Awesome work there guys.. so far all of the loph babies I've attempted grafting have been aborted. :o

However, I did have success grafting a T. Chilensis seedling onto some pereskiopsis..so maybe I should give the lophs another shot.

Also, these lophs I speak of are not of the williamsii species.

[ 24. September 2005, 23:53: Message edited by: Salvi ]

:cool: Wow man. Fridgen Great Work Guys!! :cool:

what kind of Pereskiopsis is that Jasonmateu, it looks much diferent time.

In particular the little hairs/spines where the leaf meets the stem are way diferant, mine are quite short and or white to brownish and mine has a singular long spine protruding from the stem every cm or so.

If your keen I would love to trade you?

Do you guys use humidity domes for a little while when the grafts have first been done? If so do you give them %100 humidity or give them a little bit of air flow?

very nice grafting jasemateau :)

apothecary:

How much do I love high res shots of cacti!   :D  

sooo true :D

dodie

i use a humidity chamber for the first 3 days closed off.

every night before bed time i take it off and have a little look and chat to em.

after the first 3-4 days i give them a little air flow, then cross me fingers.

it seems the worst enemy to my loph graft is ME!!!

i have lost too many grafted lophs from watering the root stock and accidently knocking the poor little buggers off.

sooooooo delicate

[ 25. September 2005, 15:49: Message edited by: jasemateau ]

using peresk isnt for everyone

i mean

its easy - if u know how

dont be suprised if you fail many times before you 'get it'

try and be logical in prepration and aftercare and precise in operation

have a read

http://www.thenook.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=37162

i reckon itd be cool to do this maybe next year

a competition for shits n giggles

or a series of comps

with several catgeories - like at an agshow

best graft

best multigraft

etc etc

seed is cheap if u only need a few and peresk are no longer rare. p/helper and SAB sell them and ill have plenty by mid summer enough to sell in bundles of 10. they overwinter quite well inside

Pics

Lopho on peresk

lophograft.jpg

lophograft2.jpg

Happy families

normal_happy%20families.jpg

Ed1 (EileenX) on pereskiopsis

ed1.jpg

[ 26. September 2005, 11:58: Message edited by: Rev ]

fantasic photos, thx to all of you,

this topic makes me just want to run out to my nursery and try again a few grafts! :)

i find the 2nd pic of rev very interressting, because it showes a very young loph giving birth to a pup, which is a bit orange in coloration.

this is intriguing as loph babys show often this lack of chlorophill and i thought till now that it's the carer's fault that this happens...

but now i wonder if it's partly just a natural thing in a tiny lophs life...

mummy loph, come on give baby some chlorophyll or doe's baby has to learn to do it on it's own, that my question... thought chlorophyll was highly moveable, though i know cacti don't re-green as easy as some plants do.

or is it sunburn? :confused: say the pup is still far to sensitive to the lightlevels mummy apreciates.

[ 27. September 2005, 08:25: Message edited by: planthelper ]

i find it normal on most peresk grafts esp the slower growing species like lophs and turbinicarpus

i think they are just being pushed so hard by the peresk hormones they are behind in catching up with chlorpphyll

doesnt matter as the peresk leaves pump out Far in excess of that the button needs

hehe, i found two more loph seedlings in my seedlings tray, they had been washed on the edge and i had overlooked them when i was repotting them...

so i just stuck them on some peres which took just 5 seconds...

has anybody ever managed to re shoot the baby stump?

my first loph on pereskiopsis!

my next project (inspired by you people) will be eillen on peres (just try with one small pup first and see how i go), so to speed the eillen production on a bit.

:P

edit:

i could not contain my excitement, so i ran out into the garden and grafted a small pedro pup onto peres using no means of creating downward preassure (i hope the cactus slime is sticky enough), i'll let you know how it went.

[ 28. September 2005, 06:28: Message edited by: planthelper ]

few more days

fewmoredays.jpg

Just got this pere it has shown to have what I believe to be two different sp. In it a wide leaf version and skinny leaf if im wrong please tell me. also havent ever tried aerole grafting but have done a few grafts on top of pere and myrtillo but could imagine a grafting tower with this one!! XDJust counted over 60 and that is just the main arm

Also because I get bad internet at times I had the time to quickly do one on a smaller pere :P

P.s sorry for bad quality it would take way to long to posy a HQ pic right now but will do on request :)

post-12595-0-28072100-1363956046_thumb.j

post-12595-0-88578900-1363956093_thumb.j

post-12595-0-28072100-1363956046_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-88578900-1363956093_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-28072100-1363956046_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-88578900-1363956093_thumb.jpg