The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Bridgesii

Ive been speaking to someone who adamently warns about the potency of this cacti. He basically told me not to touch it - which instantly made me want to go out and buy a few!

Is this because of some difference in alkaloid makeup, or is it just much more ballsy than pedro?

I can still fix you up with a cutting if you're interested.

ed

6" instead of 12 of pachanoi is a good enough reason. also bridgesii is MUCH thinner, so the total bulk is only a small fraction in comparison to pachanoi.

the effects are nicer. more gentle and physical. kinda like a bit of 'e' in the mix.

Guest electro

a friend of a friend hasnt noticed much potency diff between his pac and his bridgesii's ..

The experience is different, no lesser dosages are needed though ...

[ 30. March 2005, 13:54: Message edited by: electro ]

Grows very fast once established. I've seen over 12" in the first year from a cutting, and have had around two dozen pups on my mother plant pop out in the last couple of months that will be that length next year.

I've always attributed potency to size of cactus rather than age or variety. My bridgesii is many times the size of my pachanoi and is only a few years older. The pach. compares with other's I've tried (from younger cactii) in effect, yet isn't up there with the bridgesii. I've only tried the one bridgesii so I can't really evaluate it.

Also, my bridg is very fat, much more so than my pach.

As for 1.5kg, I tried about that the first time (I have a bad habit of jumping in at the deep end). Not a pleasant experience.

Gomaos - your opinion here would be appreciated as you could perhaps compare my bridg. to others?

ed

cool - id love a cutting if you have a spare

Gomaos - your opinion here would be appreciated as you could perhaps compare my bridg. to others?

ed

cool. I'll ask Wastl if he wants to try...

maybe I can trade a cutting for him with you?

I think all cuttings are spoken for this year.

I'm confused :confused: . Would have thought that out of over a meter of cactus, Wastl must have tried even a little bit.

You blokes must get it easy up there. Our local mountain gnomes would not leave such a thing be for that period of time.

ed

yes,

definately go out and buy some, torsten is right

they are really nice,

if you want one to avoid make it scopulicolus,

they are probably just as potent but not half as

"nice"

Would have thought that out of over a meter of cactus, Wastl must have tried even a little bit

He did.

btw most of your cutting was used for "growing stock"...

Wastl does remember however that it was of excellent strenght..

btw there's absolutely nothing wrong with scops...

[ 04. January 2004, 08:02: Message edited by: gomaos ]

it may be due to some other factors but,

the only time i have ever heard of someone being sick was from a scop', used fresh a kind of disorientation began before it was even all ingested, continued, never got psychedelic at all, felt like poisoning, no visuals, just imaginings of soon being in an emergency room, the niceness of brigesii would be about the exact reverse of the above

[ 05. January 2004, 07:08: Message edited by: Ramon ]

A FOAF has noticed definite subjective differences between different pachanoi strains. Also his first experience was with a scop. and was the 'nicest' one yet. He is soon to try what appears to be a scop/bridgesii cross- should be interesting...

Your 'scop', my 'scop' , your bridgesii' my bridgesii' etc etc

With all the hybrids and variations its getting too hard to generalise like that

I have 3 scops and they all look slightly different, and there a 4th type ive seen that could be called a 'scop'. I havent actually tried any as i just grow for grafting stock n pretty flowers of course

I reckon we should give them names now and keep them labelled - and send reshroomed pups cos they flower at his place :) !

And a Scop bridge hybrid - HF its exists!!!

Youre not in the market for left testicles are you? If a trade can be worked out for a pup id be VERY happy - this is something ive been wanting to make for a while - SFA spines, good strength and ..maybe.. itll flower more often

if we are going to name them then we should create a database (ie forum thread for names).

I already have about 50 columnar strains that i gave 1 or 2 syllable boys names to (girls names are reserved for Mammillaria types ), and SAB will be selling them under those names (some as soon as this week).

To avoid confusion in the future it would be good not to double up on names, especially names within a species (or lookalike).

there are i think 3 recognised forms of bridgesii plus monstrose forms ,so are they all thought to be above pach potency ? or only some of them? if so which?

t s t .

The potency is definately there, but that's always a variable.

A good point is the long and easily removeable spines.

However I think the winning attribute is the taste (or lack thereof) in some varieties.

Torsten, did those cuttings take?

...a fast growing, easy to prepare, tasty & potent cactus... I dunno, sounds like some hippies got loose in a gene lab back in the 60's

I will have a palatable clone available in a month or so: T.bridgesii var.'gustatus' (??)

Feel compelled to point out that whilst a plant might be palatable it would be illegal in Australia to comsume it for the mescaline

Torsten:

if we are going to name them then we should create a database (ie forum thread for names).

I already have about 50 columnar strains that i gave 1 or 2 syllable boys names to (girls names are reserved for Mammillaria types    ), and SAB will be selling them under those names (some as soon as this week).

To avoid confusion in the future it would be good not to double up on names, especially names within a species (or lookalike).

i would like to claim/register the following names for my trichs;

t pachanoi 1 -pachman

t peruvianus 1 -brew[indicating the same plant as used in 'peru brew'.

idealy i would like to use analogues of these names for future plants.eg pachner LOL though i think ph should claim that one if he wants!

first come,first served?

t s t .

tantra - please re-list in the new thread.

I think the name thing is a wonderful idea. I usually just use the species name along with the source, but that source info gets lost so easily when the plant is traded and then a new source name goes on it. Certainly knowing a plant by "Trichocereus macrogonus 'Victor'" would keep things a bit clearer. As I said, I like the idea, but I am in no mood to go through my collection and apply names to all of them. Maybe I could do it only when I trade. But what would one do about lots of seedlings? You certainly wouldn't want to apply a name to each one of them, especially if you had sown a few hundred. Maybe a name could be applied in most cases only after the plants potential for ethnobotanical value has been assessed.

I wish it was a little easier for me to ship over Henrietta and Victor, a T. pachanoi and a T. macrogonus respectively. I have quite a few T. bridgesii oddities that no doubt would grow accustomed to Australia quite quickly if able. I truly do love everything about T. bridgesii, but I have many more T. peruvianus (numerous variations, forms, likely mistakens IDs, etc.) that I certainly shouldn't clear out such a genetically diverse collection to make room for what is a pretty narrow genetic range for T. bridgesii.

~Michael~

suggestion,

seedlings could be called 'son of'[using ovich,mac , o' or whatever takes your fancy] whatever plant they come from eg 'son of pachman', and given a number if needed until desirability decrees an individual identity is required.

t s t .