The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

chloroform

just wondering IF i was going to purchase some chloroform and, doubtful, they asked me what i wanted it for what would b a good rewsponse?

also IF i was goiing to try it, which im not, how much would u use? about 10ml or so?

thanx

Perhaps you use it to euthanise small animals?

Like, when one of your pregnant mice has complications giving birth?

Don't know about what dose you would use on your mice, or yourself, though. :)

yeah thanx

just been reading a book on chloroform and well

sounds a little interesting

Check here for a past discussion at EBA , pay special attention to the experience that 'Auxin' had.

My advice is to leave it alone , there are much more 'user-friendly' substances out there if you must (ether ?) , i wouldn't want to be using chloroform in any way outside of a lab environment.

yep, sounds like the conditions are just about ripe for another darwin award

http://darwinawards.com/personal/personal1999-06.html

(27 April 1999) This story is true though I have no physical proof, just that it is talked about at family reunions about my great great grandfather.

He was affectionately called Dr. Bob because he was the town doctor in the area of Blackwater Falls, West Virginia, in the mid to late 1800s where he lived with his wife. He frequently had insomnia and would put chloraform on a handkerchief which he placed on his face and asked his wife to remove when he had fallen asleep. She dutifully did this without fail.

Unbeknownst to his wife, he was quite affectionate with the women of the area. One day, a young teenage girl left a baby boy on his door step claiming it was his and that she could not care for it, nor bear the shame. His wife said they could take the baby in, as they did not have any children

of their own, and said that she forgave him.

That evening, when he couldn't sleep, he put the chloraformed hanky on his face. Unfortunately for him, his wife "forgot" to remove it and he expired. It is never mentioned whether or not she was charged with a crime, only that the baby was sent to live with one of Dr. Bob's siblings. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a Darwin award, because he was able to procreate before he died.

The child was my great grandfather who was a genius in his own right and produced other geniuses. But you know what they say. . . there is a fine line between genius and nuts. Some of my aunts and uncles have crossed that line. My Uncle Bob invented the security system that is set off by body heat. He is now living on welfare because he has been declared mentally incompetent.

pick up line - does this hankerchief smell like chloroform to you?

It also burns your face and mouth. AFOAF went through a small bottle of it over a weekend once and had a nasty rash and burns all over his lower face and especialy on his lips, nose and tongue.

you may want to watch that..

burns eh nasty, neva knew it was a carcinogen though, i just thought the reason they discontinued use was liem what the wife did and that it killed people if you had 2 much.

Thought it was used to clean computer parts

2b:

Check here My advice is to leave it alone , there are much more 'user-friendly' substances out there if you must (ether ?) , i wouldn't want to be using chloroform in any way outside of a lab environment.

IMHO ether sucks though yes you probably really want nitrous. A friend of an idiot used to inhale LPG its not recommend for various reasons such as spontanous heart arrest similar to chloroform, the problems with the mercaptan ( nerve toxin though its in rather small quantities ) and of course the fire/explosion hazards.

never liked chloroform, but I sure went through a lot of ether at one stage Yes, the two are quite comparable and ether is nicer. There are also similarities between ether and nitrous, but not many. Nitrous is MUCH more revealing and appealing. Mind you, ether can be quite habit forming too.

mmmmmmmm......I love the smell of chloroform......so sweet and heavenly......reminds me of sleep sleep time..........must.......smell........more :P

AndyAmine.:

It also burns your face and mouth. AFOAF went through a small bottle of it over a weekend once and had a nasty rash and burns all over his lower face and especialy on his lips, nose and tongue.

you may want to watch that..

When chloroform is exposed to air and light it decomposes to hydrochloric acid and phosgene, thats likely what burns you- thats also why non-pharmaceutical grade chloroform should never be used on humans, and once a pharm grade bottle is opened it must be disposed of that same day.

I have a gallon of the stuff, the top of the bottles all crusted with ammonium chloride from the hydrogen chloride slowly leaking through the cap.

It does have a well deserved reputation for chemistry lab explosions as the vapor can creep up out of a flask and travel like a stream of water along a table. Best to use outside, away from flames like a water heater.

devance, you must be talking about ether, not chloroform.

thanx for the sreplies!

dont think ill bother

if im gonna go to the chem shop id rather buy ether-i love it, its been about a year sibnce i binged with it and i still get the occasional craving and/or dream about ether lol

nitrous i need too much for it to do that much-by itself i mean;)

trouble with ether is it used to totally kill my sex drive for many days after use

btw, is there any way to not smell like ether for a day or 2 after use?

thanx

aaron

I would have thought the biggest danger wiht these substances, well Ether more than Chloroform is forming of dangerous and explosive peroxides.

Torsen

Your right. Ether is the devils fart for lab explosions.

I gave chloroform a few trys, what lad in a organic chemistry class hasn't.