The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Phalaris spp?

Question

Two unusual grasses in my back yard. Could be Phalaris spp? 

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

3 answers to this question

I,m no grass expert so cant give a solid ID, my house is surrounded by fields with phalaris grass and i think to get a solid ID* you would want a close up of where the leaves touch and wrap around the stem and of the patterns on the seed head before it flowers. I think p.brachystachys would be the most useful but i think it's unlikely you would find that growing wild but i could be wrong.

From memory though i think trying to make use of it is more hassle than it's worth due to all the other stuff in it and trying to separate that out, there may also be some stuff in there you may not wanna concentrate down. But there may be better teks and methods now since i looked into that.

Edited by ZooL

I just think they're beautiful grasses, whatever these are. I will try and get a few close-ups with my camera. I recall that 5 - 10 years ago I tried growing a couple of Phalaris species from seed, but nothing germinated. I was aware of the potentially toxic alkaloid profile, so wasn't too disappointed. This is the first year I've deliberately abstained from mowing the grass in the back yard. 

could be phalaris.

the varigated form, is good to use, the small toxic portions are not an issue, but i forgot why (either don't come across or don't pyrolise well, but remeber to have posted in detail, long ago).

people use inmature growth, without flower stalks. wild form proly contains less compounds...

it's amazing how many psychotropic plants grow as weeds in our back yard.

Edited by withdrawl clinic