The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
john

Phyllode extraction

I have read that all Acacia's that have DMT in the rootbark have it in phyllodes also. Has anyone actually extracted from Acacia confusa phyllodes please and if so what was the result (%). I do not want to dig if I can pick.

Not sure if this really answers your question but.....

Check out this nexus post. Stem not phyllodes though. I have no experience of extraction though.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=27722

And this one says no for phyllodes but yes for stem.

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Acacia_confusa

And then there's this post from here. Maybe not so helpful though unless you check out the PIHKaL bit mentioned and see what it actually says, I sold my copy of it so can't check it myself.

P.S. these came up as 3 of the first 5 links on a Google search :)

Wow - thanks. I never thought I could get such detail on Google. That is enough for me to give it a try.

• Thanks 1

I've heard it's totally fine. You could use something less selective like xylene but you'll end up with a lot of lipids in your final. Which can be cleaned up with shellite. I hear the pros use hot shellite for first pull, get relatively clean xtals, then do more pulls with xylene to catch the rest. Or so I read...

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:48 PM, bhuta-kala said:

any advice as to a shellite replacement - I hear diggers is no good?

Diggers brand shellite is a good non polar solvent, the trick is to warm it up as Glaukus said.

You could use xylene and the yield would be larger containing more active alkaloids but this tends to create a much darker spice and a bit more mess.

Edited by shiva
  • Like 1

Be-careful shellite is now (and maybe always has been) 30% n-hexane. Beware of the vapours, n-hexane is quite neurotoxic, ensure you have good ventilation (a mask would be a good idea too) and ensure you get a totally clean evap.  Not to be confused with hexane.

Edited by Trip
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Trip said:

Be-careful shellite is now (and maybe always has been) 30% n-hexane. Beware of the vapours, n-hexane is quite neurotoxic, ensure you have good ventilation (a mask would be a good idea too) and ensure you get a totally clean evap.  Not to be confused with hexane.

Inhaling any solvent isnt good for you. Xylene and Toluene are nasty as hell.

• Like 1

The IDLH ( immediately dangerous to life or health) for Xylene is 900 ppm.
The  IDLH for toluene is 500 ppm, and
1100 n-hexane
naphtha isn't much better.
So yeah i agree inhaling solvents is bad.

However xylene and toulene are aromatic hydrocarbon consisting of a methyl group and a benzene ring, basically they are metabolized from a benzyl alcohol to benzoic acid in the body and then hippuric acid for urine excretion.

n-Hexane is eventually metabolised in 2,5-hexanedione, which is neurotoxic causing polyneuropathy. Of course large amounts of just about any solvent in the system will cause health issues from organ damage to CNS issues etc but theses are different compounds that are metabolized differently and therefore have different/ more severe health effects than one another. Which is why n-hexane should be treated with extra caution, especially it's vapours as it is metabolized directly into a neurotoxin.

I think from  a safety POV the amount of n-hexane in shellite and the potential neurotoxic effects should be more widespread and known.

Edited by Trip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2