The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

The mindfuck.

I've decided it's time for another mindfuck.

Beginning from dinner tomorrow night, for fourteen days.

I will only eat one meal a day. There will be no music, no tv, no computer.

I have to use the computer at work and at uni, but there will be no use apart from the work requirements. No forums, no email, no netbank, no slashdot.

There will be no drugs.

The only acceptable liquids are tea and water.

Evenings will be spent writing, reading or in meditation.

Anyone care to join me?

wouldnt it be easier to get a greased up naked midget to hit you over the head with a frozen salmon while your mum gave him a blowjob?

that would fuck up my mind

it would be much quicker too... probably longer lasting as well

one meal per day? I thought you were having problems with keeping weight on? that's not going to help.

Fasting can be very powerful mindfuck.

I've tried it a few times.

i got so sick of being overweight that at one point and at a special location (not my home)I said:

Fast every weekend from friday Night till late Sunday, i. e. at Sunday night go and have a good meal in the pub.

I could stop the food butcouldn't stop drinking coffee.

Also at some stages during the fast i would get into alcohol (this was around 10 years ago)

Jeez only a couple of shots of whiskey and you'd be wasted.

I found it quite interesting and would have liked to continue, but it prooved to stressful on the people around me who wouldn't tolerate my resulting moodiness.

Yes, interesting experiment, but if you are already underweight, not advisable at all...

Don't ruin your health!

(yes i know this might sound funny out of my mouth, haha)

i live that way, one meal a day of a night time and no TV. one gets more done when you dont have to stop for food. And i wouldn't call it a mind fuck. i see it as more of a celebration of food. you work and dont eat all day to get a huge appetite then feast of an evening. its a lovly way to live, very sedating and tranquil too.

EDIT and ive gained weight now and then too. a little chubby now but losing it again.

[ 07. April 2005, 23:30: Message edited by: Amulte ]

ive done that, one meal of plain tuna and rice, about fist size, for a month. I lost 25kgs but I did go pretty mental and very emotional. Learnt a lot

When fasting, the first three days are the hardest. After that your stomach shuts down and your body mobilises fat to burn, so you don't feel weak or faint.

Stopping food for 3 days every week is more akin to masochism than weight loss

Why not go the other way and "super size your self" eating only crap take away for a fornight ? :P

2b I already done that one :P

I was gonna do the mindfuck about 3 or 4 months ago, then this voice in my head said "why don't you go the other way? smoke 3 or 4 joints an hour and eat nothing but kfc"

so I did :P It was pretty fun actually.

If anyone was curious, other mindfucks I've done include listening to nothing but Tool for a month and trying to convince myself the last digit of pi is four.

The pi one was interesting, because even people who I went to school with and knew that I did a higher level of maths than them tried convincing me I was wrong. Like I'd never seen pi before or something.

What about 30 days of sexual abstinance ?

Psh. I can do that without any worries.

I've done a year before :D

The pi one was interesting, because even people who I went to school with and knew that I did a higher level of maths than them tried convincing me I was wrong. Like I'd never seen pi before or something.

I thought Pi was a infinite regression so therefore you where wrong about the last digit being 4 as I assume you mean the 4 in 3.14

Or may be fact that there is a last digit at all ?

Pi is an infinite regression. That was the whole point. To convince myself it wasn't.

i did engineering at uni, and in my particular course - comp eng - we were bereft of the normal mech and mining eng pub crawls etc. So i think this insulation got to me - i felt all alone. I used to feel pretty guilty about coming in to a tutorial (you know, for the first time in a semester? The tutor asks "who are you?" ) feeling hung over and dirty, while the other guys had their calculators out and were transform-methodizing my white ass. One day i decided that to prove that i hadnt destroyed too many brain cells to perform properly (as it happens i was wrong about that i think), i learnt pi to 250 decimal places. We were in a tute and i recited this with a chief nerd officer verifying the digits. Then someone told me that there are many people in the world (an astonishly high proportion of them in India btw) who know it to TENS OF THOUSANDS of places ;-) Some of these people are autistic and can do other amazing feats as well.

sorry, no one brings up Pi on forums very much

Cacti, propagation methods, native plants, pi - it's all good really.

You can teach a Parot to talk but that doesn't make them bright, If you could calculate pi to 10s of thousands of places that would be trueluy astonishing

As a postscript, here is a mnemonic for the decimal expansion of pi. Each successive digit is the number of letters in the corresponding word.

How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics. All of thy geometry, Herr Planck, is fairly hard...:

And for all you pi freaks , check out:

chronology of pi calculations.

Every thing you wanted to know about pi but were afraid to ask.

and for what it's worth Takahashi Kanada in Sept 1999 used a HITACHI SR8000 computer to calculate pi to 206158430000 places.

MG: That statement just brings upa deep feeling of sympathy... u gave up beer to elarn numbers? *tisk tisk tisk*

also fasting isnt a very healthy practise... even to lose weight... your body metabolism slows right down to the point where it tries to KEEP the fat because it has no idea how long its going to be till u eat again.

A better weightloss method is to eat small amounts of food with really low kilojouls often... like cellery and letuce... etc

keeps your metaoblism cranking along but not enough energy in food so it gets it from fat stores

Or you could just eat pills for every meal

2b, these people aren't CALCULATING pi to that many decimal places, just memorising the numbers and reciting it.

Anyway, the mindfuck begins tonight. I'll post my last post about half an hour before it does, so if you have anything to tell me, tonight is your last chance for 2 weeks.

This is it folks.

Shutting the computer down.

Talk to you in 14 days.

if you divide a plane into equal portions with parallel lines measuring x distance apart, the probability that dropping a stick of length x onto the plane will cross one of the parallel lines is 2/pi.

I know a serious mindfuck for you: try observing yourself in every encounter and every thought and action. gurdjieff called this "self-remembering" and it can lead to schizoid states if monitered extrememly closely for long periods of time.