The Corroboree
toast

Detox advice

I'm looking for suggestions for detoxing after several months of intensive self-medication with can ibis, alcohol, tobacco & $&€. 

Many thanks

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

fuck well this easy a question to answer, noi ce mad props for honesty....so i will respond in kind.

I've a gotten an addictive personality trait thing going on but ....i am blessed to switch off anything -really- when i get broke, i just think of better times in my life.

The tobacco and grog goitre be the hardest aye.

Cann a biz can be bent down to a few times a week or weekends easy peezee.

The uncle can be easily broken down too to 1once a week or i time a month because anything cidds is only can gunna really actual;ly work proper work not everyday but breaks inbetween - so dunna wanna waste dosh on the lsd.

I'd summarily add i am by no means a fitness person but i'd do this,

stop lsd today.

give the wacky bacca tommo morning away but roll a fat spliff, so fat you feel like you cannot add 2 plus 2

alcohol and tobaccy needs the moist attention because in reality it's the hardest two out of the/ four.

i'd seek professional help like, get so tired by riding a pushee around town all day you literally fall off the chair when you get home and have a shower then a beer.

Allow your body to 'talk' to you again.....literally. If that means a chuck here and there.....so be it.

Emotionas run our system, endocrine, brain farts......so exercise till you drop, drink water, taper off the canna bis slowly but most importantly do not underestimate the power of the evil backky and sly grog.

you're a tough nugget, others will surely jump in to give their advice.

"Stop because it';s not mind over matter it's mind over mind"

*the petal"

prioritise your short term goals and go day by day. 

Get happy by getting tired and sleeping.

recharging your battery.

i wish i could point you in the right direction towards a plant or book but in reality we fight our own demons every single day and no one knows them like you.

Basically i'm here here just to provide some moral support before some eloquent individuals actually give you some science to back up their reasoning.

:)

buzz me for a chat anytime toast

• Like 5

I doubt there is any easy solution.  I agree with eth, baccy and grog will be the hardest.  if you've been mixing your weed with tobacco then that will be right up there too (at least it was for me).  Fortunately I gave up tobacco (the first time) back in 2008 and drinking has never been my thing - something about the hangovers.

When I went completely straight back in February (you might remember me spouting positive at the meet about feb-fast) I discovered, after about a week, how much I liked the clear head and being able to get up a lot easier in the mornings.  And whilst i've never put much credence into the ED properties of weed (hell it never stopped me in my youth) my sex life also received a boost.  I use my memory of that time as inspiration for my current dry-july abstinence.  I also enjoy the crazy dreams too (who needs LSD?).

What worked wonders for me was coming onto this forum and participating as much as possible - as boring as I am.  My post count pretty much tripled in the space of a week.  Lots of good positive, understanding people here willing to offer support in whatever little way they can was a godsend.  (Come March 1st though my post count nose-dived).  I also read books a lot more - so distracting yourself by participating in your 'other' interests is well worthwhile.

I guess what i'm, saying is that it will probably be sucksville for the first week and i'm not sure your sleeping habits will recover as quick - I got some slow-release melatonin (Circadin) which helped and a touch of xanax for those really difficult periods.  (Xanax, for me, is not recreational at all but avoid it if you think it could be an issue).

What deterred me in the past is that I was worried I would become one of those 'reformed' users rabbiting on about how my life 'is so much better now' and that I would 'regret my past life'.  Perhaps i did, for a bit, but it was only temporary and I haven't become someone else, but I feel I have grown.

Hang in there bro - baby steps.

• Like 6

Thanks for the support guys but I should have made the OP clearer. Consumption has now ceased & I'm looking to clean out my system. 

Obvious things are exercise, lots of water, healthy eating etc. I wonder if anyone has experience with any specific techniques that may speed up the detox process. 

^* edit: echoed a lot of the sentiment above.

I've done the Metagenics detox a couple of times, but that involves eliminating sugar, and a whole lot of other stuff as well, with a fairly substantial supplementation side of it as well.

https://www.metagenics.com.au/About/Detox

I felt really good after both, but slipped back onto the caffeine (which you should avoid like the plague in a detox) a bit too easily, until a year ago.

Can't recommend Qi Gong enough, but any martial art practice (done mindfully, with no contact sparring and without pushing it too hard) would be beneficial also I reckon.

Good luck mate!

Edited by Responsible Choice
fast reply post... doh!
  • Like 1

Toast, I reckon what you need is to let your body do what it knows how to do. You'll need to get your heart rate up over 130 for a minimum of 45 minutes at a time, that will kick your system over from using glycogen stores into burning up fats. That will clear out any stores of canna-metabolites and a lot of lethargy will dissipate, and make it seem easier to tackle everything else.

Moral support from good mates goes a long way too. Get someone to call you or text you every few days and just ask how you're doing. It really helps.

• Like 5

If you've been hitting the booze (&/or anything else) hard enough to stress your liver, then milk thistle might help. I think there was some decent-ish scientific evidence backing this up, or if you prefer the anecdotal kind, then I was getting some nasty readings on my liver function tests at the start of the year after some bingeing late 2015 - latest tests show all back to normal. As with most things it's best to go with the whole herb if you can stomach it (in this case the seeds - they actually don't taste half bad, just kinda fibrous) or a standardised extract. As I recall there were a few mechanisms going on, but one of them was that it prevents (at least some) toxins from being taken up by liver cells - a milk thistle extract is one of the only useful treatments for death-cap poisonings!

• Like 3

All good advice so far :) 

If you are getting plenty of exercise, water and eating well (plenty of fresh fruit & veg, omega 3's, iron & other minerals etc), then the only thing I'd add is plenty of sleep - including going to bed at a reasonable time. On the exercise front, look at doing some high-intensity interval training (HIIT) - quick results, and I found it really cathartic. 

I think a lot of this is the head-game. There's a limit to how much you can speed up the natural physiological processes - mostly all you can do is support them with aforementioned exercise and veggies etc. While that's happening, it's a good time to look after yourself mentally. There's a lot of stuff around, but I found self-compassion http://self-compassion.org/ really helped me when I was in a tough place emotionally. I wish I'd known about this when I was trying to quit smoking & get my drinking under control.

• Like 2

Agree with @Anodyne Keep your liver healthy. Getting some LFTs to see where you're at is probably a good move.

I'd go with some N-acetylcysteine over milk thistle (or a combination of both) to replenish things and for it's anti-addictive potentials. Promising for nicotine, alcohol and cannabis to a lesser degree. Can dig you up the references if you want them.

Also worth keeping up your B vitamins (as a B-complex), particularly B1 and folate. Chelated magnesium and some zinc can be helpful. Plenty of nutritional interventions you can look into but keeping it simple can sometimes be the best solution.

Standard recommendations of exercise and good eating are of course key.

Awesome work for getting off all of those - I wish you all the best.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 2

Chilli, garlic, onion, turmeric, aloe vera, ginger, horseradish, honey lemon... Blend it to a paste with olive oil. Let sit for a week in a sealed jar. Have one spoonful every morning. 

Along with healthy living and exercise. 

Haven't tried it. Just a suggestion :)

Oh and organic apple cider vinegar. 

Edited by Zedo
  • Like 1

Heya Toast P.M me dude from the usual facebook/SAB pic to and fro thing I am aware of what has happened.Trying times mate going through the same thing myself at least your on the other side of it all and trying to heal.I consider myself a backyard detox master,I am more than happy to share what has worked for me in the past and what i am doing now to maintain a balance.stay strong brother Toast.:wink:

Edited by MrDuke
  • Like 1

Thanks heaps for the support & advice. Feels great to getting on top of things. 

I urge anyone that has a friend or a family member that is going through a rough time to reach out. It makes the world of difference to know that people have your back. 

• Like 7