The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Hillbilly grow log, of sorts

I plan to add to this thread as i go through the years with germinating seeds, transplanting and even a cacti only greenhouse build.

• Like 2

Jez mate, sexy set up! Will be keen to watch all this unfold.

• Like 1

If you weren't such a lovely hillbilly you'd make a killing selling these!!! Can't wait to see pics of the seedlings! Awesomeness. :wub:

• Like 1

the germinator is pretty cool, but to be honest im more excited for the new greenhouse build. i have started scavanging bits and pieces and its going to be epic!

The germinator has heat mats and thermostats on each tier that i havent installed yet. i think its warm enough to not need then at the moment> maybe in winter ill even make some perspex doors for each teir too

• Like 2

Very cool hillbilly! The custom cabinet looks awesome, you'll be able to germinate buttloads of cacti with that rig.

• Like 1

Pro looking job mate! This should stop the frothing at the mouth (for a while)

• Like 1

These Guys off eBay, I actually have a shelf of 5630 LEDs too with 1/2 being red and blue to try and get some comparisons.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I used the 5730 leds, in a nice little prefab rope with 3 leds per module, 40 modules or 120 LEDs per shelf. They are about 6 inches from the soil and seedlings are loving it, so are a few lophs.

I originally wanted CFL but found LED much cheaper

Edit : wrong info

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d
  • Like 1

man, not another cacti watching freak. i say watching coz thats all u need to grow cacta ss lol billlieeeeeee oooooooooooo :crux:

ps nice set up m8 :innocent_n: u should go think about setting up a cactus indoor box thingy to sell to the watches?? :scratchhead::bong:

pss im fucken off now

Edited by bullit
  • Like 3

can i please add my photos here of my ingenious hideous hidyhole of a seedling house/tray wheelie thingo?

you an da egg have inspired me to watch caktoose as well. My lady rings me up and said "Come Ere BoY! I have a thing for your next portable greenhouse.

"Awesome!!", i flickt my butt and burned off to the nursing home where she works.

i scored this, even came with the residents name trays so i don't have to label any containers.

post-4664-0-98225300-1441441055_thumb.jppost-4664-0-87559700-1441441592_thumb.jp

sweet pics brother billy, you can come and build me a cubby house anyday.

:wub:

rsz_seedtray3.JPG

rsz_rsz_seedtray1.JPG

rsz_seedtray3.JPG

rsz_rsz_seedtray1.JPG

• Like 8

It almost looks like a reptile setup. Very nicely done, I'm sure you'll be germinating big time.

• Like 1

Nice set up hillbilly.

what cactus seeds will you be growing in this impressive contraption?

Sorry to hear about the cactus rabies, it could of been worse ;-)

I got a heap of tricho seeds and a few different things too. ill post updates as i put them in.

• Like 1

Hey Hillbilly, this is awesome. How did you attach the lamp on top of the shelve?

• Like 1

nice work man. this guy can freakin make or do anything.

• Like 1

Hey Hillbilly, this is awesome. How did you attach the lamp on top of the shelve?

When i folded the shelf i folded a little internal lip for the lamp to sit on, then just a couple of little pop rivets to hold it there. its simple and looks pretty neat.

the lights i used look very similar to this kind of thing, the little frame round the edge makes it pretty easy to attach

VIBE-Lighting-2-Rectangular-LED-Troffers

• Like 3

So today i sewed some seed and put them in the germinator.

Here is how i did it. I considered a heap of different ways to sew seeds and have had pretty good results from the takeaway tek and the tek on the missplant website in the past. BUt i was convinced the new Incognito Tek is the future. Every other time i have grown cacti from seed, green or fungus has always been some kind of issue, so i thought id give the incog tek a go as it seems zeolite wont go green.

This is the stuff used as the bulk of the substrate with just a pinch of native plant fert mixed in there real good. Its about $25 a bag from the pool section of bunnings.

11960127_10206711298655454_3862446578379

I poured as much as i needed into the tubs (about 2 inches deep) and then wetted it with a watering can. The moisture content i aimed for is "field capacity". This is basically wet but not so wet that water will pour off it. The easy way i did this was to pour water in the tub until it has a water level just above the substrate. Then i just poured the whole lot into a shade cloth and waited till the water stopped dripping out. I put the zeolite back in the tub, levelled it out a bit and it was ready for seeds.

11988474_10206711299495475_7919231075070

I cut up some old busted flats for the dividers between the seeds. I figured the best way was to lay out the seeds in the baggies as i was going to sew them, then just make dividers to suit. I made sure i labelled everything as a went so i couldn't bugger it up.

11950784_10206710913685830_1035792933_n.

After that it was really as easy as sprinkling seed and just misting them a bit to water them in. All of the water i used was rain water, i know some of the good guys say not to use tap water and only distilled or rain water. Here on hillbilly hill we only have a choice of rainwater or whisky so rainwater it was LOL

• Like 5

Coming along nicely hillbilly.

If you wanted a bigger granule size substrate to mix in with the ziolite once the seedlings have grown a little. You could use diatomite.

It is inorganic and it holds water the same as zeolite. Its only problem is it does not hold nutrients but thats where the zeolite comes in.

It also looks good as top dressing

You can get it as a factory/spill cleaner called kleensorb, comes in 35ltrs and is alot cheaper than garden store diatomite

Edited by DeadStar
  • Like 2

so this is the list of what i sewed so far,

Tub #1

Tricho. werdmannius

Tricho. terschecki

Tricho..macrogonus

Tricho. vatteri

Tricho. thelegonus

Tricho. huascha (red flower)

Tricho. lamprochlorus

Tricho. grandis

Tricho. chilensis

Tricho. huascha x schick

Tricho. fulvilanus

Tricho. candicans (long spine)

Tricho. terschecki mn 0531 (possibly spineless)

Tricho. bridgesii OP dawsons

Tub #2

Tricho. bridgesii

Tricho. tig x con

Tricho. icaro

Tricho. lance x funkoid

Tub #3

Astro. asterias superkabuto x varigate

Astro. myriostigma varigate x kikko

Astro. myrostigma x varigate

Astro. asterias super kabuto v type

Astro. myrostigma OP hybreds

Astro. myrostigma mix of hybreds

Ario. Mixed species

Azetkium hintonii

Tub #4

Tricho. bridge alko 2

Tricho. glauka

Tricho. ss02

Tricho. bridge "la paz"

Tricho. rosei #1 x psycho0

Tricho. fields macro x rosei #2

Tricho. ben x rosei #1

Tricho. rosei #2 OP

Tricho. ben x huascha (red flower)

Tricho. Psycho0 x john

Tricho. peru red spine OP

Tricho. werd

Tricho. ben OP

Tricho. rosei OP

Tricho. macro fields OP

Tricho. macro OP

Tricho. werd OP

Tricho. macro OP

Tricho. watertrade pach

Tricho. cuzco OP

Tricho. psycho OP

Tricho. Sausage OP

Tricho. peru goliath OP

Tricho. Macro OP

Tricho. Werd ABG OP

Some of these seem to be duplicated, but theyre actually from different sources. Some quantities were a thousand or so and some only a few. I guess we will see how we go.

I still have a couple of tubs left to go as the germinator will hold six all up.

Some of these im really excited to try and grow and some i prolly usually wouldnt bother with so much. BUt in the throes of a cacti rabies infection im going to try and grow as much as i can. The cacti greenhouse, if all goes to plan, will be pretty damn big so i wont have to worry about filling it up for at least a few years.

• Like 7