The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Caudata

is this a fungal infection or something else?

These marks are beginning to appear on all of my outdoor cacti, although they are most pronounced on those that have yellowed from the sun. The marks are somewhat raised, like a blister. It's been very humid here recently.. at night humidity is around 98% with light drizzling. Do you think these marks are a result of the moist conditions giving rise to a fungal infection on the skin? I first thought it was just sun burn, but the marks are now appearing on my darker green cacti grown with some shade.

Thanks for any help...

7H3Q2xU.jpg?1

oGmSAHI.jpg?1

1yGLGTH.jpg?1

TK2QIXJ.jpg?1

174aC63.jpg?1

Edited by Ohlone

Looks like a nute issue caused by pH too high or low.

Specifically it looks like a magnesium deficiency to me. Could be low chlorine or zinc too, but Mg seems rather likely and is vey common in cacti along with Fe deficiency.

Edited by Gunter
  • Like 1

fallout from chemtrails

• Like 4

fallout from chemtrails

god damn them chemtrails or beautiful clouds?? :scratchhead:

i think its from humidity

Either way, they don't really look like causes for concern to me at this stage - looks very, very minor, and the plants seem otherwise perfectly fine. Cacti are tough cookies.

PS. from the thread title I expected gross genital photos. I am relieved that was not the case...although some sort of morbid curiosity got the better of me :P

• Like 5

Maybe too much water could do that also. I wouldnt rule out chemtrails though :wink: . For anyone who thinks chemtrails are nonsense maybe former L.A. FBI chief Ted Gunderson will change your mind, R.I.P.(see youtube) Best whistle blower ever! :worship:

What you need to watch out for is large black bumps on cacti that can ooze out black crap. I lost a lot of very nice specimens from that shiite a few years ago. Probably a bacterial infection that got out of control, maybe from over watering.

^^ the black rot is something to keep an eye out for, yes. From memory it seems to occur when the cacti are too wet and cold at the same time...although I've heard of other things triggering it, like using neem oil and other sprays on the skin of the plant (bad idea).

That being said, back when I still grew cacti I never had any of the huge problems with it that others claim. I had it show up a couple times in spots, but whenever it showed up I'd just stop watering and keep it dry until it healed up. Never lost a plant to it. Sulfur dust and some surgery if necessary can help if you've got rot problems bad.

• Like 1

I think this disease is produced by a bacterial infection. Perhaps erwinia sp. or pseudomonas sp.