The Corroboree
watertrade

Trichocereus in the ground

Note to self:.... be careful about what kind of soil you are planting your plants in.

it rains the plants get heavy and fall over.

this i the second time this has happened. and will probably happen every few years. :(

and it was -4c apparent temperature last night while I cleaned these up.

post-903-0-75247600-1403676040_thumb.jpgpost-903-0-29944800-1403676044_thumb.jpgpost-903-0-60586600-1403676047_thumb.jpgpost-903-0-45463700-1403676051_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-83447100-1403676235_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-75247600-1403676040_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-29944800-1403676044_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-60586600-1403676047_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-45463700-1403676051_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-75247600-1403676040_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-29944800-1403676044_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-60586600-1403676047_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-45463700-1403676051_thumb.jpg

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 2

Yeah I've had one or two fall over it really sucks, however once the stump/trunk pups with a heap of new growing tips it looks amazing. Did the plants 'up root' or did they just fail internally ? Mine have only fallen over during heavy wind.

Oh man, that sucks!

I feel sorry for you but I'm also hoping this doesn't happen to me in future!

That sucks man. what's the soil like where they are planted?

jeez that is devastating. hope your cacti garden recovers alrightt

Note to self:.... be careful about what kind of soil you are planting your plants in.

it rains the plants get heavy and fall over.

this i the second time this has happened. and will probably happen every few years. :(

and it was -4c apparent temperature last night while I cleaned these up.

-sounds like thongs and t-shirt weather to me :blink:

that's unfortunate, is it just the soil, or fast top growth and not enough root development?

That sucks, those are some huge logs!

• Like 1

I was kind of pissed off when when it happened again as this part of the garden I getting to be how I wanted it. This is the dog and child safe pachanoi area (no peruvianus of brisgesii or anthing too spikey) All the plants were flowering and I was starting to develop the ground covers. but I figure I'm forcing the plants to live out of their natural environment and plants/limbs fall down off in the wild fairly often and they just reroot.. So yeah, it's not a big deal really. My hands are pretty spotty today though. I didn't think about gloves until after.

The plants just kind of shifted down in the ground and fell over. Uprooted but fairly intact. as long as they don't rot they should be ok once I have straightened them up again.

The main reason it happened I figure is that, firstly I live on a clay block. I dug out a trench inside the walled area, this trench was back filled with the same clay plus some organic material and sand. The soil is improved but this would be much less supportive of roots and would also probably fill up with water when we have a few weeks of rain. All the plants were close to bursting with moisture. (And snails)

I'm going to chop the tips off all the plants, graft the tips and figure out something to do with the rest of the bits.

I hope that answers all the questions.

What I worry about is that if this happens in the spikey zone, Peruviana and bridgesii. I will probably not be able to put them over my shoulder and carry them away like I did with these. I was getting a pretty good system towards the end of the night.

FYI. The roof rack in the pic is for sale too, hand made custom VW beetle roof rack. :) could use a light clean up but would suit someone who likes unique not made by me so is pretty good

Edit : roof rack comes with some cacti attached. ;)

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 2

I'm not particularly intersted in the roof rack but I can do pickup from Canberra... $ per cm?

id be keen for a couple ft of super pedro if you wast to sell some :)

non of the superpedro (as I know it ) fell down surprisingly.

the superpedro is in the first pic and on the far right its probably just a matter of time though. some of the other super chunky ones almost grow as big as the biggest SP but are different . if you are interested I can take some pics of close ups. keen to sell once I have given away to friends I also have some PMs to reply to :)

• Like 1

Oh how the mighty have fallen :P

You'll have a truck load in a couple years time.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

What's the fat blue one in the third pic mate? Urban Tribes pachanoi?

Oh and if I was you I would dust some sulphur on those stumps and cover them for a little while. If it gets to -4° where you are I'd imagine you get regular frosts, which may prevent the plants from callousing properly. Just my 2c.

I'm not sure what they are Explorer. They could be urban tribes pach. I bought plants from them years ago.

• Like 1