The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Plant Growth Regulators and Cacti

I am curious which ones other than gibberelic acid are useful when growing cacti. My main concern is breaking dormancy of seeds and perhaps playing around with Pereskiopsis.

Any feedback is much appreciated I have read about most of them but I don't see information pertaining to cacti and I don't want to destroy my precious plants.

I am interested in knowing which of these help with germination rates and help with rooting.

6-Benzylaminopurine

Brassinole

Gibberelic Acid

Indole-3-Acetic Acid

Napthyl Acetic Acid

Triacontanol

Edited by doxneed2c-me

Benzylaminopurine is an important cytokinin that stimulates a wide array of plant growth benefits: cell division, more side branches and basal shoot formation.

Brassinolide is a naturally occuring plant steroid normally found in small amounts in all plants. By applying it to plants improves plant growth through improved root growth, better seed germination, plant photosynthesis, resistance to cold and water shortage.

• Like 1

How about fresh coconut milk.

• Like 1

Triacontanol is present in alfalfa meal. Which is a component of a compost starter/organic fertilizer I add to the soil of all my Trichocereus. Seems to encourage pupping to some degree.

What about fresh coconut milk? What does it do?

It does magical things to all sorts of plants. plenty of info on this site and many more.

• Like 2

I'll have to check it out. I've only worked with BAP, GA3 and IBA.

I wonder if there is a problem watering plants intead of spraying them with these

Edited by slice

I've watered plants with GA3 before (pereskiopsis) and they just got extremely etiolated. At 100ppm. The concentration must have been too high, but it basically rendered them useless for grafting.

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 1

Yep, GA3 for increasing germination and speeding up growth. IBA for rooting.

I wouldnt give coconut milk to a plant, especially a cactus.

Its the 'coconut water' that was used in tissue culture and subsequently found to have growth promoting plant hormone like effects similar to the 'tomato juice growth factor' that didnt get quite the same attention.

Make sure to dilute the coconut water enough to avoid root rot.

• Like 2

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-effects-biochar-defence-geoengineering.html

"biochar...... brassinosteroids and auxins and their signalling molecules as key to the growth stimulation observed in biochar. Brassinosteroids and auxins are two growth promoting plant hormones and the study goes further in showing that their signalling molecules were also stimulated by biochar application."

Edited by Dreamwalker

Ya mostly looking for things which help with germination rates. It seems quite complicated to play around with all of these. I would rather focus on just the ones improving germination.