The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Chong Pleads Guilty

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...o/tommy_chong_3

Tommy Chong Pleads Guilty in Bong Sales

Wed May 14, 2:24 AM ET

By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH - Tommy Chong (news), who played one half of the dope-smoking duo in Cheech and Chong movies, pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday to conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia.

Chong also pleaded guilty on behalf of his business, Nice Dreams Enterprises, which made a line of marijuana bongs and pipes. Doing business as Chong Glass, Nice Dreams Enterprises sold glass pipes and bongs that Chong acknowledged were used to smoke marijuana.

Chong's attorneys said he was accepting responsibility, but noted he was careful not to sell to minors.

"This isn't his work. His work is that of a comedian and satirist," said attorney Richard G. Hirsch.

After the hearing, Chong said he did not use drugs. "I don't smoke; I quit," he said.

The actor-comedian, who recently had a recurring role on Fox's "That '70s Show," said he planned to return to what he's always done: speaking "the truth" in his comedy routines. He was scheduled to appear in Florida on Tuesday night.

Chong said he and Cheech Marin (news) were back together and working on another movie; the two have appeared together in several films, including "Up in Smoke" and "Still Smokin'." His plea, he said, would be part of the new film.

Chong's plea came after federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents purchased his paraphernalia and had them shipped to an undercover business. Agents also confiscated his company's paraphernalia during raids of "head shops" in numerous states and confiscated "thousands of marijuana bongs and pipes" in a raid of his Gardena, Calif., business.

The raids were part of a series by the DEA in which at least 55 people were charged with trafficking in illegal drug paraphernalia. Officials said the investigation targeted the nation's biggest Internet distributors of paraphernalia.

Chong is the first person to plead guilty in the raids, said U.S. Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan.

Chong, 64, was released on recognizance bail, but must undergo drug testing and remain in the U.S. District Court jurisdiction of his Pacific Palisades home except to travel for work and court appearances.

He faces a maximum sentence of three years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he is sentenced Sept. 11. Federal guidelines call for six months to one year incarceration, though Buchanan said the government would not make a recommendation to U.S. District Judge Arthur J. Schwab.

what a power hungry world.

US drug laws are gettin pretty freaky, its even illegal to sell spoons under a certain size- I guess now to avoid prosecution you have to spoon feed babies with a popcicle stick instead of a small spoon.

And I dont know whats up with these anti-bong laws. I, for one, HAVE used bongs for tobacco (if your in serious nicotine withdrawls smoking pipe tobacco in a bong is like injecting nicotine into your BRAIN ).

i'd be worried about that sentencing date,too emotional for one thing!

t s t .

America land of the free... my ass

Those papers with the bit of wire in them to let you finish off a roach without burning your fingers are also considered "paraphenalia". Spoons are OK as long as they have a volume >0.1ml. :rolleyes:

ALL pipes and water-pipes are covered too. However, I believe the prosecuters must show that the device was intended for future consumption of illegal substances, and I can't see how they could prove that unless the pipe was next to a bowl of prepared dope or you admitted it.

Does anyone know what equivalent laws are in force in Australia? I believe injecting equipment is no longer illegal to possess, is this true of bongs etc too?

"i'd be worried about that sentencing date,too emotional for one thing!"

Too much propoganda for another. Chong is like the media idol representing pot smokers so they chose sept. 11 because the government has been telling everyone that illegal drugs fund terrorism- dont be surprised if hes convicted of treason. One less media idol, one more martyr.

if they ever do make bong illegal again we can alway resort to fruit :)

Anyone else ever do that? Apples are best, though a beurre bosc pear would make a nice long pipe.

Poke a hole with a pencil down from the stalk to the core, then horizonatlly through the centre clear across to the other side, and blow out all the pulp

Pack the herb to be smoked in the top and a finger on the hole on the opposite side as a shotty and there you have it - instant, easily concealed and biodegradable pipe

We used to use them at school :)and if youre really desperate ou can eat the whole apple afterwards to get all the resin - sounds pretty bad now but back then...

Well ill be bugered , I thought myself and another wet forum member had the patent on that appple pipe, ours was borne through neccessity ( someone forgot the pipe) whilst working in, of all things an apple orchard :D when we were younger, and if you have ever done orchard work youll do anything for a cone. although we did make the cone out of a piece of coke can, cut and rolled into a perfect cone shape and placed in the top of the apple.

Ya took the words right out of my mouth,'sept we used lemons...I dunno I think they had a better shape :D another cool one is the empty,creased(across) coke can with a ring of tiny nail holes furthest from the mouthpiece in a circle as the screen!!

But the absolute cracker(I Wittnessed) was a Chocolate MOOVE half empty and a flared copper tube pushed through the straw hole :D

The bubbles were kind of soothing!

[ 18. May 2003, 01:35: Message edited by: mescalito ]

But;on the serious side-you can buy a bong anywhere in AUS,fyshwick is loaded,I believe AGHUNG is in Fyshwick

Torsten beat me to posting this I was going to post it thursday but forgot.

Outragegeous, America has lost it completely. When are they gonna get rid of that motherfucker bush and his idiot party?

Bongs are freely available at any tobacconist in Queensland.

Slowly but surely people must be starting to think that terrorists have a point.

First the yanks get rid of Clinton for the sole reason that he had sex outside marriage, so what's wrong with that? Who hastn't? maybe hank hill, but who cares about totally suppressed individuals who want to be just that?

I think the arabs must have been laughing themselves to dead when that happened, them having stacks of wives and stuff...

And now the whole world has to suffer that dumb texan bush...my muthafugn dgo HOW MUCH LONGER?

And what are they gonna come up with next?

[ 18. May 2003, 16:00: Message edited by: gomaos ]

"the yanks get rid of Clinton for the sole reason that he had sex outside marriage"

Well thats the media version, my theory is that if he was not thrown out somehow the international community was going to get pissed that he was proven guilty of crimes against humanity in the middle east area and got away scott-free just because we have more political power (weapons of mass destruction) than any other nation.

I hope to hell I'm right because if not it means people are outraged by sex scandals, but relatively OK with slaughtering thousands of innocent people and murdering babies by spraying them with radioisotopes- so long as their foreigners.

"And what are they gonna come up with next?"

You dont want to know!!! But Australians will be involved, just like with Iraq.

Hey Gomaos-Did you Know the word 'Assasin" means

Hash-eater?

Hmmm I see a conspiracy here.

[ 18. May 2003, 16:55: Message edited by: mescalito ]

The way this whole paraphenalia thing was explained to me back in grade 12 by our local constable care when he showed up to give us a talk on the dangers of schoolies.

They way he explained it, bongs, pipes, cone pieces, whatever are legal to possess unless they havebeen used for the administration of an illegal substance...which makes me wonder, say I had a bong that was only used for the use of Salvia d, before it became so evil in the eyes of the law, would possession of this bong be illegal now, even though it wouldn't have been how ever long ago it was before salvia D became comparable to heroin?

-bumpy

The Earth Pipe is also illegal in the US? Hence the Planet Earth is an illegal drug tool. Also knives, cookers, bottles, cans, foil, bicarb, lemons, vinegar, hair tongs etc.

Yeah I followed the trial

Prosecution:"...your worship, here we have exhibit A: As we move along, Mr Chong's Bongs made in Hong Kong by Mr Wong, some long & two prong, all used for wrong & thus pong..."

Judge"...Mr Chong, do you wish to call you first character witness to the stand?, one,,,Dave..."

Mr Chong"...uhhh, Dave's not here" :cool:

Seriously though, it's good to hear that there might be a another movie on the way.

Ironically Mr Chong was promoting "Urine-Luck".

[ 24. May 2003, 01:52: Message edited by: Adrian ]