The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nailthesnail

Bunnings Propagator any good for seedlings?

c0b6b5b2-a2d0-466a-beaa-64e1df7b70d9.png

Are these any good for germinating bulk load of cacti seedlings? Will the humidity stay high?

Note that on the right there is 7 breathing holes. But mine doesn't have that.

Edited by Nailthesnail

293195302.jpg

Better image, Exactly the same as mine.

Hey Nailthesnail,

I find these propagators work very well & have used them for a long time now.

I personally use containers inside the box as I have had a few dramas doing mass plantings straight into the green part, for example some seedlings grow quicker than others and don't need to be in the chamber as long as others. Here are some photos of seeds I planted three days ago.

post-11291-0-44534500-1392509780_thumb.j post-11291-0-28517400-1392509809_thumb.j

If you are planning on sowing a variety of cacti seed my advise would be to use containers and try to put similar cacti into the same containers. for example Lophs, Strombos, Turbs can all go into one container & have a similar growth rate so they all need potting up at the same time, if you plant Lophs and Trichos in the same container you will find your Trichos might need potting up before the Lophs. Thinking and planning like this can make a huge difference to the growth rate of your seedlings because if you disturb seedlings before they get established they can slow right down.

Good luck with your seeds mate.

Cheers

Jox

post-11291-0-44534500-1392509780_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-28517400-1392509809_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-44534500-1392509780_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-28517400-1392509809_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have a few they are cheap but pretty strong.

Instead of using just the tray I insert Jiffy Peat Pots so I can replant without disturbing the roots.

post-13297-0-37504500-1392511748_thumb.j

Also I had to trim down a larger tray to get it to fit properly as there wasn't anything that fit just right.

post-13297-0-37504500-1392511748_thumb.jpg

post-13297-0-37504500-1392511748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pie'oh'Pah
  • Like 1

Hey guys thank you very much for the feedback I will take both of these things into consideration.

The one thing I have a bit of a worry about is the lid isn't really that air tight where it meets the bottom part and the humidity not staying high.

Is the peat algood with humidity?

I haven't had any issues relating to the pots (i.e. mold or mites) mainly use this for trichs and plants.

I don't use this setup for buttons tho.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.

You guys have saved the day :)

I used something very similar to this and had problems because I kept it outside in intense heat/sun so lost a lot. If you're planning on keeping everything indoors it should work great. :)

• Like 1

Yeah indoor is the word :)

have you got a heat pad to go under it?

a thermometer to test soil temps..........too hot kills..............

a sunny warm indoor spot and place a piece of A4 on top after an hour or 2 or direct sunlight........to soften the exposure for the rest of the day..................

Edited by Dreamwalker

I have never use heat pads but everyone will have different conditions. I grow seedlings under a MH light through winter so the light provides enough heat, in summer I don't need extra heat were I live. I normally shade my seedling under 50% shade clothe for the first month.

Cheers

Jox

PS; I am referring to growing cacti seeds in my posts.

Yeah cacti seeds is what I will be doing I have them upstairs in a South East facing window I think and have a heat pad that has worked great on my cacti seedlings.

The heat mat I have is used for brewing and has worked wonders so far.

They get somewhat direct sunlight in my other homemade propagator although the plastic is thicker and not as much opacity so works great but not anywhere near as big as this one.

This is off topic but when should I start fertilizing seedlings.

DreamWalker I don't know If I will need a Thermometer as it has worked great so far.

But I will get it at some point this year as well as a humidity one when I setup a big propagator unit with lights.

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Nailthesnail

I keep my bunnings propagator greenhouse indoors in indirect sunlight, works wonders. Have a glass of water inside as well for humidity

• Like 1

They're great for seedlings!

post-12907-0-57454500-1392555871_thumb.j

I had mine under two T8 fluros and on a heatpad and they loved it.

Although this tray got flipped over by wind once i took them outside to harden them off :P

But other from being light enough to be thrown around by hectic-ly ridiculous strong winds, they're great!

post-12907-0-57454500-1392555871_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-57454500-1392555871_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sabry
  • Like 2

jesus very health sabry, lot of sexual varieties in there!

The glass of what is very smart and I will do!

Yeah I have had nothing but trouble with leaving propagators outside.

I was thinking about starting a we indoor setup for grafts and seedlings only problem I have is I have no idea what to get and how much money I'll be spending.

I have about 23 Super pedro x (scop x bridge) and a bunch of cereus and probably about 20 mixed cacti seedlings. in my miny propagator and they are firing along.

The one thing I have a bit of a worry about is the lid isn't really that air tight where it meets the bottom part and the humidity not staying high.

Would using masking tape horizontally around the lid help to seal air in and raise humidity? You only need to open the lid once or twice a month for FAE, so you could just pull the tape off, and reapply fresh tape each time you ventilate. I imagine silicon would work too, albeit it'd be messier. I used silicon to seal my fun guy fruiting chamber, worked wonders! :)