The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

Trichocereus... um....

Question

Can anyone tell me what this is. It's beautiful.

jwCP7mv.jpg

• Like 5

20 answers to this question

I have to ahve this cactus one day. of the coolest blue cacti and one of the most handsoce columnars.

this specimen is simply amazing!

• Like 1

They're around. Para grew a shitload of em a few years ago.

there's a reason for which they're around! cheers!

I took this picture heh. The grower is reallllly cool. He has lots of rare columnars. I plan on going back and getting a few of these cacti in large size ;) IIRC the grower said it is from Africa.

Edited by magical9

According to what I read, cacti originally grew in central and South America, before human intervention. Africa has euphorbias.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, there aren't any cacti anywhere in the world naturally except north and south america/surrounding islands. And you can find succulents elsewhere. Like lithops, euphorbias ect.. There is one cactus that can be found outside of the americas though. Rhipsalis baccifera.

Edited by hostilis

According to what I read, cacti originally grew in central and South America, before human intervention. Africa has euphorbias.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

looks like i need to listen better next time :) south america does sound familiar now.

africa is home to numerous awesome succulents, among them lithops, haworthia, most Aloe species ..

but aint some 'orchid-like' cacti genuses, epiphytes also present to tropical climetes all around apart from southamerica? they too started there?

Edited by mutant

africa is home to numerous awesome succulents, among them lithops, haworthia, most Aloe species ..

but aint some 'orchid-like' cacti genuses, epiphytes also present to tropical climetes all around apart from southamerica? they too started there?

"Cacti are native to the Americas, ranging from Patagonia in the south to parts of western Canada in the north—except for Rhipsalis baccifera, which also grows in Africa and Sri Lanka."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cactus

Yes and Africa has it's share of succulents and euphorbias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhipsalis_baccifera

"Rhipsalis baccifera, commonly known as the Mistletoe Cactus, is an epiphytic cactus which originates from Central and South America, the Caribbean and Florida. It is also spread throughout the tropics of Africa and into Sri Lanka. This is the only cactus species naturally occurring outside the New World. One theory is that it was introduced to the Old World by migratory birds, long enough ago for the Old World populations to be regarded as distinct subspecies.[1] The alternative theory is that the species initially crossed the Atlantic on European ships trading between South America and Africa, after which birds may have spread it more widely.[2]"

• Like 1

Yeah, the only cactus that is found naturally outside the americas is Rhipsalis baccifera. Theres plenty of cacti looking succulents though elsewhere.

So, how closely related is this to the Trichocereus species? It seems very similar at first glance..

So, how closely related is this to the Trichocereus species? It seems very similar at first glance..

this looks like a tricho?

post-3765-0-71005300-1392499883.jpg

which one? :wink:

this looks like a tricho?

attachicon.gifr_baccifera_baccifera_c_200.jpg

which one? :wink:

I was referring to the plant in the original post. The Hertlingianus.

(and surely I can see how it differs from Pachanoi in many ways, the wavy ribs, details of spination and so on, but the overall impression I get is quite similar all the same. Some Trichs also display some degree of wavy growth. But since the Hertlingianus is not even in the Trichocereus species, I am sure there are plenty of differences. Just wondering if it would be a cousin of sorts..)

Edited by Quixote

Browningia hertlingiana is in the Browningieae tribe while Trichocereus is in the Trichocereeae. Trout has said in the past that there is some similarity, but if that is beyond their both being in the same subfamily is beyond me.

~Michael~

• Like 1

there's a reason for which they're around! cheers!

What might that be, their pleasant appearance perhaps?

one of the bluest cacti, one of the most handsome columnar cacti, that would be my estimations...

• Like 1