The Corroboree
gtarman

Anybody here dumpster-dive? Have advice?

So what I'm getting at is be careful when you enter the "dragon's lair" you never know what you may encounter.

LOL @ dragon's lair. You have just convinced me that I need to create a recycling themed re-make of a Bruce Lee kung fu movie:

I even quickly photoshopped the cover. This movie would rock like no other movie could ever rock, and I am a genius.

post-7646-0-18918600-1388248345_thumb.jp

Enter_The_Dragon_(1973).jpg

Enter_The_Dragon_(1973).jpg

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 5

Stop postin and start divin gman! Your missing prime opportunity! Large appartment blocks are good for food this time of year, gets messy tho... Plenty of great non perishable foods are being tossed from the festivities

• Like 1

Also woollies and Coles woulda done a dump yesterday on foods that expired on the 25/26th, maybe you can get in still. If you wanna suss it during the day, just wear a yellow vest and pretend to push trolleys... Be confident and say g'day to the folks you see whilst waiting for your time...

• Like 2

Aherm perhaps I shouldn't mention this but I know one person who dumpster dives and then provides a divine feast for 40-50 people on a regular basis (provided FOC of course), as part of charity raising awareness and funds. Mostly wealthier people attend. I mean, it's not like she can't afford it either, she just does it because she's obsessed with op-shops and council cleanups etc. Prolly why she's rich.

Some people do very well on living off other people's waste. My washing machine, dishwasher and clothes drier all came from the council cleanups, as does most of my furniture. My daughter's clothes are all second hand, given to me by aforementioned friend and others. My food is not, I haven't leaned to dumpster dive and I don't have time with a 3 year old - meat is no good, but so long as you check the use-by date on the rest - it shouldn't be months but a few days? - it's all good. And fruit and veggie markets are the best for them. Like seriously, how much bread do you eat? A loaf lasts my daughter all week (I can't eat wheat).

You know, I'd be happy to find fresh fruit and veggies on a daily basis. Other than that, all good :wink:

ps please don't quote me I may wish to delete that post later :lol:

what's FOC?

edit: free of charge.

hmmm

Edited by ThunderIdeal

^ Free Of Charge

I've used the vest idea, works a treat - and in one dumpster I even found a hardhat! It's red - and I've used that and a glow vest in one dumpster at a worksite. The dude in charge said 'glad you've got ur gear on, you can dive all you like mate as long as you keep the f'ing OHS c*** happy and off our f'ing site you're laughin'

Love it.

• Like 6

Stop postin and start divin gman! Your missing prime opportunity! Large appartment blocks are good for food this time of year, gets messy tho... Plenty of great non perishable foods are being tossed from the festivities

Cheers mate. I may yet, depending on how many of my shifts work intends to cancel this week hahah. But there's always my precious savings account, and I have lots of food already at the moment.

I've had an offer from a local group who goes diving regularly to tag along with them in the new year and they said they'll show me the ropes, and I think that's gonna be the best way for me to ease into it. It probably doesn't make a heap of sense to somebody who doesn't experience it (not sure if you do or not), but this anxiety shite is intense, and stops me from doing a lot of things.

• Like 1

I've had an offer from a local group who goes diving regularly to tag along with them in the new year and they said they'll show me the ropes, and I think that's gonna be the best way for me to ease into it. It probably doesn't make a heap of sense to somebody who doesn't experience it (not sure if you do or not), but this anxiety shite is intense, and stops me from doing a lot of things.

going with the group is the story..................more fun too...............have a bit of a laugh........ :) ........I know what you mean re 'anxiety shite'...............I wouldn't have the nerve.....................

• Like 1

Yeah, just until I get used it and it's not such a big deal anymore anyway.

Whats with your post's mysubtleascention

Grasshoppers just cant type no more

to tired to actually contribute to the topic

4pm shift change no fucking over time

so just type random shit

are you on the job

More and more dumpsters are being closed :(

When I used to be more ideological about recycling food in Norway I used to glue the lids of closed dumpsters.

Best dumpsters for me are at the veggie markets. Vic Market in Melbs is the heaven - when you go on the closing hour.

You can be picky of the quality of picked food (fruit and veg). There's massive amount in dumpsters and on the ground.

I bet every veggie market is like that. Also no-one cares about you cause they're busy closing and the stand owners

share the dumpsters, so there's no closed ones. If there's a lucky day - you eat just on the organic section.

Good luck!

• Like 1