The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Slybacon

Best Small Indoor Office Plant

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas or anyone with anything I can aquire off them. I just started a New Job and my office is a little sterile. I need a nice little indoor plant that I can have on my desk. There is some natural light via a window but I am some distance from it. The office is a constant 20 to 25 degrees and is not humid at all. When the AC is off over the weekend it can get quite warm and stuffy. What do peeps recommend. Want something thats cool and inpires me to get stuff done.

• Like 1

This is worth a quick read, as you may as well get something that will purifiy that stuffy office air as well as look nice :)

Types of Houseplants That Clean Indoor Air

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/types-of-houseplants.html

I would suggest a Sansevieria, as they are very hardy and are happy in low light, plus you wont have to worry about it drying up and dying over the weekend like a fern might.

• Like 1

Black bean, Castanospermum australe, seedlings can be really effective indoors - but good to rotate them a bit and give them a bit of rainfall periodically. Otherwise Peace Lillies, Spathiphyllum spp. are really good at clearing the air in sick buildings.

Good luck with the new job (and the plants)..

search as well for auxins, indoor office plant thread...

here a pic of my miniature Catha:post-70-0-49400100-1382417088_thumb.jpg

dwarf_catha#1.JPG

dwarf_catha#1.JPG

If you want to give yourself a broader range of plants that you grow can in that environment, you could get 2 plants the same that would typically be grown outdoors and rotate them weekly or every second week.

A lot of shopping centers use outdoor plants indoors by giving them a few weeks inside and then swapping them for the same type of plant that has just had a few weeks outside to recover.

• Like 1

kava plant

how bout one of those usb greenhouse thingo's?

maybe it doesn't quite have the healing ambiance you're after

9f2aed8ff1e8a6c0ce0511b6c1d74a17a09ccc4a

• Like 1

I had a pot of Peres on my old desk at work (when I had one).

Sally, I've been observing the pisspoor quality of plants in restaurants etc round here and thought Theres a business plan in it ;)

That would teach people not to fuck with your stuff, one tussle with a Peres and most people wouldn't come back.

There's a market for it man, I can think of a lot of worse things to do for living. All your supplies for your other plants would then become tax deductible too. Can you claim depreciation for plants ? that would be awesome if you had them all listed as assets and got kickbacks from the gov for depreciation. I'm not sure if it works that way though.

I have just come across a plant that is sometimes kept in offices and its pretty cool and special... Its protected, its considered lucky in Japan, there are festivals in its honor, there was a postage stamp based on it, there are cartoons and stuffed toys of it,a costume (which i might add is a bit odd,lol),there is jewelery made from it...some people consider it to be more of a pet than a plant...What is it you say???... Its an algae, an aquatic plant, Aegagropila linnaei, known as Marimo. Its this round mossy looking ball kinda thing.

Aegagropila linnaei, known as Marimo (毬藻?, literally "ball seaweed") in Japanese and as Cladophora ball, Lake ball, or Moss Balls in English, is a species of filamentous green algae (Chlorophyta) found in a number of lakes in the northern hemisphere. A marimo is a rare growth form of the species where the algae grow into large green balls with a velvety appearance. Colonies of such balls are only known to form in Iceland, Scotland, Japan and Estonia.

Care for domestic marimo

Domestic marimo grow in tap water at room temperature as long as the water is changed every one or two weeks (more frequently in summer and less often in winter). The marimo can be placed in the refrigerator in hot weather (above 25°C), but does not survive freezing.

Photosynthesis occurs in normal household lighting, otherwise, indirect sunlight since the marimo is adapted for low light conditions only. Marimo balls can be immersed in club soda water to increase the rate of photosynthesis. The elevated carbon dioxide favours algae growth but may be detrimental to fish and other aquatic creatures.

In Lake Akan the epilithic filament form of marimo grow thickest where dense salty water from natural springs flow into the lake. If the marimo green color turns brownish it may recover without intervention, otherwise a minimal amount of salt can be added as a suggested remedy.

You could take it home on the weekends so it didn't over heat. Anyway, i think its pretty neat and am going to get a few for an aquarium. They are available on ebay and are in Australia. They are slow to grow though...5mm a year.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Live-Aquarium-Plant-Nano-Marimo-Moss-Ball-20mm-round-/261312334930?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3cd76dcc52

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=marimo+balls&client=firefox-a&hs=ufb&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2gNqUqnJLai5iAeh3oDwBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=578#q=baby+marimo+balls&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

post-7430-0-57429600-1382679895_thumb.jp post-7430-0-32758100-1382679920_thumb.jp

marimo plant.JPG

marimo.JPG

marimo plant.JPG

marimo.JPG

• Like 2

Cool thread!

Thanks for the link Ceres.

If you can hang a plant, I like the Spider plant when it gets its "Spiderlings" hanging from it.

• Like 1

Double post.

Edited by JT_NZ