The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CoLaNuT

Produce Recipes n tips n stuff

So........

I've found myself in a position where I will be cookin' n cleanin' n being a lot more 'domestic' as such....and the ol' spag bog recipe can't be used more than once a week...due to a vote,apparently!

Goddam democracy they teach kids.

More time for gardening though...yay

And... i was hoping you kind cooks, chefs, and weekend bbqers can help with your worldly knowledge.

I'm sure you all grow your own food, so I put it to you to share your hidden, secret, family food recipes with me.....us......the world......we'll keep 'em secret though......promise!

Main courses, salads, entrees, desserts, breakfasts...I wanna know em all!

Please share.................. :drool2:

• Like 2

Here's one........

Horseradish sauce

90g fresh horseradish root, peeled and washed

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

pinch sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

1 1/2 cups fresh bcrumbs

Grate h/radish n soak in vinegar 1 hour. season with salt pepper n sugar

Heat milk in a saucewpan n bring to boil.

Stir in bcrunmbs n leave for ten min

Blend in hradish mix n serve w roast beef.

Note...

for a change, make hradish sauce in the Hungarian way.

Mix hradish n vinegar mix into 11/4 cups white sauce

makes 1 1/4 cups

yumm

Edited by CoLaNuT
  • Like 1

A really quick and easy Tuna Pasta Thingo:

1 x can tuna (400 grams?)

1/2 x Bag pasta shells, or sticks or twirls or whatever takes your fancy...

1 x tin cream of mushroom soup (or asparagus, chicken, whatever)

Cook pasta, drain, add sauce, add tuna - Serve! (with grated cheese on top is yum)

It is surprisingly tasty and extremely cheap - and if you switcheroo the pasta style, and sauce - it passes the "different meal" test so you can serve it 2-3 times a week - and if you want to go all fancy, throw in a little can of smoked tuna or something, it really gets the flavours going...

heres my camping gumbo that generally goes a treat

* whatever tin vegies ya like ie corn, bean mix, lentil, chickpeas, carrot, mushroom etc

* whatever herbs ya like ie parsley basil oregano chilli garlic etc

* a few stock cubes

* water to cover

add everything to the pot at once! dont drain any juices from the cans, just wack it all in! cook until a consistency you like, but generally gumbo-eeee

edit- if cooked at home just throw some pasta in at the last 5mins and serve with some herb bread. i fed 10 people on this once for a weekend, costs maybe 50c a serve LOL

d00d

Edited by thed00dabides

Sweeet. Good on you man.

Here is one of my favourite recipies, i got it from the headchef at my old work and he was very cagey with recipes, so it was a privilege to get to copy stuff from his recipe book :P

Curried kumara soup

4 kumara (you ozzies would probably call them sweet potato)

2 onions

5 cloves of garlic

4 tbsp curry powder

1 tin coconut milk

Easy as, just boil the peeled kumara, chopped onions and garlic until tender.

Allow to cool for a little bit, then add the coconut milk and the curry powder.

Blend until smooth and serve with crusty bread. Yum yum.

And my other favourite recipie has to be lemon cake.

150g butter

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 1/2 cups self raising flour

3/4 cup milk

1 lemon (grate some rind and use the juice for glazing)

Cream butter, sugar and lemon rind unitl light and fluffy.

Add egg, beat well. Sift in flour and fold into mixture, adding sufficient milk to form a soft drooping consistancy.

Grease the cake tin, before spooning in the mixture. Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 35 mintues.

While the cake is in the oven, juice the lemon and mix with a couple teaspoons of sugar.

When the cake is ready drizzle the lemon syrup over the cake and serve with ice cream!

Start getting into making your own bread and pizza bases if you're stuck for ideas :D

I think theres also another thread chocka full of awesome recipies, UTSE :)

this might be a no-brainer but its about as gourmet as i get...

two parts selfraising flour to one part greek yoghurt and a pinch of salt mix up to make a fairly decent pizza base which you can fry or bake or even get tricky and put topping on one half and fold it to make a calzone

• Like 3

Vege Frittata:

- roast a few diced potatoes or sweet potatoes plus some other veges (zucchini, onion, capsicum or mushrooms are all excellent) with oil in a large deep baking dish until cooked.

- whisk up about 8 eggs with some salt & pepper & half a cup of milk, pour into the dish on top of the veges and top with half a cup of grated cheese. You can add other stuff for flavour - herbs, goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, whatever - I'm vego but I imagine bacon would go well too - also stuff like capers or olives. Just pick 3 or 4 things though, don't overdo it. So some combinations for eg: sweet potato/basil/goat cheese, potato/onion/English spinach, capsicum/zucchini/sundried tomato.

- bake until egg mixture is cooked all the way through.

- serve with a salad or some green veges (recipe below)

Simple Green Veges: (good for broccoli, cabbage, green beans, bok-choy, etc)

- fry a big spoonful of garlic in a little oil until fragrant (don't brown)

- add chopped greens and a few tblsp of light soy sauce, stir well and cover for a few minutes to let the veges steam

- turn off heat and stir through a spoonful of sesame oil.

variation: a big pinch of kalonji seeds with the garlic goes really well, or get creative and try another spice (eg. cumin, fennel, ajwain, sesame seeds, etc.)

Amazing Roast Potatoes: (a good side-dish or snack for kids)

- cut potatoes in half, roast face-down in a baking dish with plenty of olive oil, salt and a little stock (or water) - about half a cm is good - the water bakes off and leaves you with really crispy potatoes. Dutch Cream or Sebago potatoes are the best of the common varieties for good roasting.

- you can flavour them by roasting with paprika, rosemary, &/or garlic - use whole cloves, or whole heads of garlic even if you have plenty to spare.

Taco Beans:

- fry one or two large finely-chopped onions til brown, then add one large spoonful of each: paprika, cumin, coriander, dried oregano/marjoram.

- (optional step) add a cup or two of finely-chopped or grated veges - carrot, celery, zucchini and fry gently for a few minutes

- add 2 or 3 tins of kidney beans and 1-2 tins of tomatoes, cook until the sauce thickens & darkens.

- serve with taco shells or tortillas or cornbread or just rice. With some tasty cheese :)

Awesome stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

Taking the tribe crabbing this weekend, and can't wait to give the old chilli crab stirfry a go.

Shall be trying a few twists in the recipe and will post it up here if its a winner.

Meanwhile

here is a Wombok salad everyone loves

1/2 Wombok shredded

6 chopped spring onions

100g slivered almonds roasted

dressing

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup castor sugar

1 tbl soy sauce

1/2 cup olive oil

combine dressing ingredients in pan

low heat, stir until sugar dissolves, then cool.

toss cabbage, almonds, onion in salad bowl

add dressing and enjoy

Cherry Jam

Ingredients:

- Cherries.

- Apple.

- Lemon or two (or apple cider vinegar).

- Sugar (equal to half the volume of the cherries).

Procedure:

1) Pick cherries when they're nice and ripe, for sweetness and to save time pitting them. Pick an apple or two from nearby (for pectin).

2) Pit the cherries by squeezing the end opposite the stem (the seed should fire out). You might want to do this outdoors to save on cleaning all your walls of juice-spatter. Peel one apple and cut it up into tiny bits.

3) Put the cherries on medium heat in a heavy pot to reduce the chance of them burning.

4) If you want smooth jam use an immersion blender while they're warming up.

5) Once the cherries start bubbling begin stirring and add the apple bits and the juice of one lemon, or two if the cherries are really sweet and you want the jam to have some tang. You can use a few splashes of apple cider vinegar as an alternative if you don't have/eat lemons.

6) Add raw sugar equal to half the volume of the cherries (you can pour them into a measuring jug to check it up). Stir it in.

7) Continue stirring the mixture every few minutes for 20-30 minutes. The longer you cook the thicker the preserve will become. If you want to test the texture before stopping cooking have a saucer ready in the freezer, spoon a bit of the mixture onto the cold plate, and see how thickly it congeals.

8) Cool and pack it in pre-sterilised jars. Bake some scones.

Modify the recipe if you have some other fruit/berry than cherries around. Works well with blueberries.

• Like 1

chi packed breakfast for winter :)

- 2 chopped shiitake mushrooms

- chilli (quantity according to personal preference), chopped finely

- a few slices of ginger, chopped finely

- small handful of garlic and ginger chives, chopped

- chopped bacon

- 2 eggs

- 2 pieces of bread

- 2 slices of cheese (optional - you'll need an oven griller (overhead kind of deal, don't know what these are actually called) for this bit)

- salt, pepper

- and a bit of butter

1. on high heat, melt the butter in a pan, then throw in the bacon, shiitake, chilli, and ginger.

2. turn the heat down a little once the bacon is starting to look cooked, and throw in the chives. add more butter whenever it's necessary, the shiitakes really soak it up like sponges.

3. turn down the heat down to quite low, then crack open your eggs and drop them in. break them apart and scramble them as they cook, mixing everything together, and scraping the pan as you go to stop anything from sticking. (you'll end up with a really nice consistency this way!)

4. toast your bread when you feel like you have a moment to step away from the pan

5. when things are starting to look cooked, add some salt and pepper and mix them through also

6. now, if you've got a grill as mentioned before, start warming it up while you put your toast on the tray and load your delicious eggs on to the bread evenly. add a slice of cheese to each one, then put them under the grill until the cheese is melted. this is not only tasty, but holds everything together nicely

7. enjoy! this breakfast will give you one metric shitton of energy and warmth :)

found myself in korea the other month and almost died when i tasted this, fucking so nice (omit anchovies when making at home if that's your thing, but there's literally no such thing as vegetarian in korea so ....)

http://www.beyondkimchee.com/spicy-korean-rice-cakes/

*edit: it was from a street vendor i don't know what they put in it (the sauce), but i had some battered/deep fried vege pancakes and some pasty thing probably had fish in it but i was drunk at the time so don't remember

**edit 2: put some tomato sauce in there, you'll thank yourself for it

Edited by qualia

10 min pasta.

Get pasta going in boiling water with a pinch of salt.

Chop finely some garlic and capsicum and add to pan with tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil and a big bunch of fresh basil leaves. Then add chopped fresh deli ham of your choice. When ham starts to brown just a little and capsicum is softening add fresh italian heirloom tomatoes and a little water. A can of quality tinned italian tomatoes (I like Pelati) is easier and fine too. Simmer until pasta is cooked. Serve with freshly grated parmesan or similar italian cheese. For creamier version add half a container of creme fraiche.

Beats bolognese because there's more goodness from the tomatoes and capsicum, is still tasty but light from the ham and does not require as much cooking time as bolognese.

2-4 Lamb shanks

Cubed veggies, about 1.5cm-2cm cubes

4 Stock cubes

Water

Roasting pan with lid

Place everything in pan

Add water till it's just below the top of the food

Put lid on pan and put in oven at 160 degrees Celsius

Leave it for 6 hours.

Check it at 4 hours and add more water if you need to, but not much...

Last batch I did this weekend just gone, I used everything I had on hand at the time which was:

3 Lamb shanks

2 Potatoes

1 Sweet Potato

2 Onions chopped into big chunks

3 Carrots

1/4 Butternut pumpkin

1 Capsicum (Red)

3 Massel beef stock cubes

About 1/2 teaspoon of ground mixed coloured pepper corns

About 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt

About 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary

Bunged it all in the pan in the oven with water just under the top of the veggies, stirred it a little bit at the 4 hour mark, left it for another 3 or so hours.

Came back and had the absolute best fan dangled dinner (and breakfast and lunch and dinner again) ever...

"Kale Chips"

Get some large kale leaves and cut out the stem.

Slice the leafy bits into bite-sized pieces.

Put them in a large container with a lid, drizzle with a small amount of oil.

Season (salt, pepper, chilli powder, etc)

Shake it, shake, shake, shake it.

Line some baking trays with baking paper and cover with a layer of the shredded, oily leaf

Put it in the oven at 200c for about 10 minutes - check it often

When they're brown-ish, take them out and let them cool down (just a minute or so)

Munch away!

Edit: I should point out

• They need to be consumed pretty quickly (a few hours)
  • It's very easy to overdo the olive oil and get soggy leaves
  • Keep an eye on them in the oven, they go from green to brown to burnt VERY quickly
  • Baby kale doesn't work in my opinion. It burnt very quickly and the few bits that didn't just weren't that great.
Edited by at0m
  • Like 2