The Corroboree
JCMMa

Salvia divinorum cutting without leaves 2.0

Hello again!

I've just wanted to post another tragic history of Sally haha

This time the vendor sent me a cutting with roots and leaves on the top. The trip was of 15 days until it finally made it into my house but the top leaves and steam was already rotten so I cut the rotten material and like 1 cm more to prevent but it continued rotting the steam all the way down until I had to leave it with a nod nearly the soil and the 5 cm of underground steam and roots.

My vendor says that it still has chances and that it will produce new shoots.

I have it in a plastic box and I spray it 2-3 times at day to maintain the humidity.

Do you think that it has chances to survive or I better resign and just cultivate Coleus, that is a common plant in my sad country?

First pic is how it was 5 days ago. post-12244-0-43651100-1374098903_thumb.j

Second one is how it is now. post-12244-0-47876800-1374098970_thumb.j

Greetings for all!

post-12244-0-43651100-1374098903_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-47876800-1374098970_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-43651100-1374098903_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-47876800-1374098970_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty stuffed to me next time try dusting it with some sulfur powder after you cut it that usually works for cacti.

Also is this thread allowed?

Looks like it was rotting from the base up. no way you can save that. (edit: I didnt look at the photos duh)

15 days in the mail is a lot for any plant and it would have been very shocked.

I assume this post is allowed as the OP is perhaps in a country where this plant is legal.

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

I don't know if it's going to be a next time :( This is second time... haha

No, it's just the pic.The rot came from the top. The bottom part is still very green.

Last time I made a similar post and it's still. If is not legal, I'm sorry, I didn't know haha

The package had some good soil so the roots where still alive. I've changed the soil too, now is in vermiculite with white sand like the second pic.

By the way, I think that the rotting avalanche has stop.

Still no hopes?

Edited by JCMMa

Edited by JCMMa

Haha it had that soil just in the first pic, the first 3 days. Then I got some vermiculite and change it. (Second pic)

This vendor of yours needs a reality check and i think you need one too for buying from him again after the escapade of the first time :P

I dont like your chances eh. Sorry, but thats a plant on death's doorstep and I doubt its gonna come back.

I would be writing an angry email and asking for a refund for your two dead plants. Hope u didn't pay too much for them.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

I would do that too... But the thing is that he's not an official vendor. He's just a humble person from Oaxaca, Mexico and he does his best. And the most important thing, he's THE ONLY ONE by the moment who agreed to sell me a Sally plant... Hahaha I don't know why but the 'professional' vendors only sell in they're country or don't want to send a discrete package to pass the f***ing customs without getting my poor sally burned :( haha And it's not illegal here...

What is your advice to help me getting the plant? I've tried with almost all vendors in the web and I've only got the actual vendor.

If your on facebook i would try asking in the plant exchange group.

looks like this plant got, heat burned in transit, maybe your vendor can try again, when it's a colder time of the year.

salvia can recover from the root nodes, so don't give up just yet.

I am concerned about your statement that the plant was in one soil for 3 days and then changed to other soil. why would you do that? a plant takes several days to make contact with soil particles, so by uprooting it 3 days later you essentially deprived your plant of 'normal life' for an extra week. Not a smart idea for a suffering plant.

The original plant does not look great, but in the right condition should have done well.

You're right... It was because the first soil was very hard and damp for the roots, so I've done that in exchange of not getting root-rot because that would have been worst...

So you're the first one giving me hope, thank you haha :P

Spagnum moss and zip lock, that's all. For next time, if u can. Source locally, if u can't find it, then it's just not time yet.

• Like 1

dont feel bad. when i moved out here i tried for 7 years to import salvia. with and without paperwork. the only time it eventaulyl happened with live plants is someone brought some in their luggage from the states when they came for a visit.

If you ar ein the tropics or hot area, it will be harder. They will grow, but if you live in a truly wet region, it iwll be even harders till. Salvia do better in temperate [non freezing] north america than hot/humid places it seems.

they rot super easy. i am currently thinking that sally, when grown in hot/wet areas, should have little to no organic stuff rotting in the pots. I have been experiemtning with this, and heavy soils, moist soils and soils liek coco with compost and stuff all make sally root. root/stem rot.

Also dont import in hot season. I had about 8 25cm pots filled with growth this spring, the heat shows up and now i have a few cuttings left in water....

If you have the climate for it and you can keep it above flood levels and probably under cover, fo rheavy rain ares, in ground seems the best way.

I used to grow nice healthy bushes in Canada with no prblem. like growing coleus. Come out here and i can say it is in the top 5 hardest plants for me to keep alive here.

Thank you. Actually, my country is behind Mexico and the weather here is similar to the Sierra Mazateca, but a bit less humid (I live in a mountain 1700m). By the way, the rot in my plant (or pseudo-plant) has stopped and it stayed the same like the second photo. It is growing new roots and I hope it will grow new shoots in a few days... It's just a matter of time, I think.

Do you think that Sd is much more faddy that Coleus to grow?

You can also root salvia, in distilled water.

A bubbler doesn't hurt, either....

Still, you probably can't beat the bag with peat moss suggestion

spagnum moss, but anywayz

Well this is the progress of the almost dead cutting. I guess this time it got successful.

What do you think?

post-12244-0-07478000-1374676202_thumb.j

post-12244-0-52237300-1374676212_thumb.j

post-12244-0-07478000-1374676202_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-52237300-1374676212_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-07478000-1374676202_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-52237300-1374676212_thumb.jpg

It's shooting, that's what I think :rolleyes:

Looking good.

just wondering if its too wet though. how much are you watering it. You still need to be careful of rot.

I would suggest a dome, and let it dry out.

From what i understand they like water but not swimming in it, as long as the soil is moist and and loose

if the pot would be smaller, I would still give it a chance, but big pot, means no control over, the root environment.

I give it a 30% chance to grow into a plant.

let's hope the perlite works wonders for you,

I think re potting into the perlite mixture was a good idea.

sally hates changes, she love's an enternal spring climat, say, (~2000m altitude, at the equator).

at your spot, she will set seed, I know already. :)

Edited by planthelper