The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theuserformallyknownasd00d

Sydney to Mullumbimby road trip

Hey guys, me and a few other forum members are havin a weeklong road trip up north in a little bit..

Can anybody recommend a couple of ripper stop offs or "must see" sights we mightn't be aware of? Botanical gardens of interest, nursery's etc? hidden majestic campsites are welcomed also :)

the current plan is make It to the SAB nursery in one piece so any further recommendations are appreciated!!

D00d

• Like 2

The Coffs Harbour Botanic Gardens are a pretty cool little oasis in the middle of well... Coffs Harbour - kms & kms of malls & suburban sprawl. They were built on a great site which incorporates pockets of natural eucalypt forest, mangrove swamp, and subtropical rainforest. Nice herb garden with a Sensitive Plant (mimosa) which is fun to play with. The mangrove area has a little birdwatching hut to hang out in and watch the Intermediate Egrets (poor bastards, what a name!) and other critters. They sell plants at the front gate sometimes too. I haven't been there in years so can't remember anything of particular ethnobotanical interest, but I'm sure there are cool things in there. Nice place to have lunch anyway.

Check out Bellingen too if you've never been - little tripper town that hosts all the cool music festivals & many of the doofs around those parts. Cow paddocks as far as the eye can see - probably starting to get too cold for dunglovers though. Good place to stop in on your way up to Dorrigo National Park, which I think is only about 90min(?) from the highway and is utterly beautiful for some day walks - if you've got time to spare I would definitely get up there and check it out. They have an awesome canopy walk, waterfalls, giant snails... and it's rainforesty, so is usually full of cool fungi.

take the inland route for sure, some awesome bushland up that way

Barrington Tops, Armadale, Dorrigo, etc

• Like 1

Coffs BG is so awesome because coffs is just about the same climate as brisbane. It's a little southern hotspot. highly recommended.

and Dorrigo NP is beautiful.It is sort of a half day side trip though.

• Like 2

maybe the brisbane meet crew could meet up with you guys. Were not far from Mullumbimby and would

be cool to meet more sabers .

• Like 1

take the inland route for sure, some awesome bushland up that way

Barrington Tops, Armadale, Dorrigo, etc

Yeah I reckon that's some sound advice unless time is a factor. I love Barrington Tops.

Can knock off Syd to NNSW run in around 10 hours sticking to speed limit but much nicer to take a scenic route and stop off somewhere over night. Armadale to Dorrigo NP isn't a bad way to go about it.

• Like 1

can anybody recommend a nice, free camping spot along this inland route? preferably 2/3 of the way between syd and byron would be ideal (maybe 6-7hr drive from syd). we are allowing 2 days travel each way and it would be great to have some free spots where we can have a fire etc. Im starting to dig this inland idea

I would be stoked to catch up with some of you guys red, but you'll need to come down as I dont really wanna drive anymore north. itll be a tues/weds/thurs also which may be shit timing with work/family etc

Which week you planning?

• Like 1