The Corroboree
Jox

Please help me learn!

Probably a silly question but can anyone explain to me if there is a word "shute". My daughter who is in grade two got this sent home as a word in her spelling list. I can not find it in the dictionary & it only comes up as a surname? Other places say it can be use as a variant or synonymous for the words chute or shoot? I am hopping someone who is smarter than me can explain if this is a real word before I go up to the school & make a fool of myself.

Thanks for any help regarding this.

Cheers

jox

never heard of shute - only chute and shoot as you mentioned.

• Like 1

poop shute

doesn't appear to be a word, except for according to urban dictionary... which is not a suitable definition for a 2nd grader.

one website does indeed say it's a "variant of chute", but that sounds like bullshit if you ask me... no other sources say anything of the sort. "typo for chute" more like it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

I will go up to the school tomorrow full of confidence thanks to you all & let them know to get the shute together! HaHa

Cheers

jox

shute
[edit]English [edit]Noun

shute (plural shutes)

1. Alternative form of chute.
  2. Alternative form of shoot.

Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.

looks like an old spelling of chute. i heard the public school system was failing but i'd have thought they could at least afford to upgrade their dictionary's.

• Like 5

Chute is french influence. Maybe they think shute is more 'english'. Bit like america trying to have it's own language by having unique variants of words. Or perhaps the teacher is an idiot.

• Like 1

Shute harbour Airlie Beach lol

• Like 1

You'd think that emphasis would be placed on words that are actually relevant, or at least in common use. Having said that, I remember my 4th grade teacher trying to get his class of 9/10 year olds to spell the word, 'antidisestablishmentarianism' :huh:

• Like 1

You'd think that emphasis would be placed on words that are actually relevant, or at least in common use. Having said that, I remember my 4th grade teacher trying to get his class of 9/10 year olds to spell the word, 'antidisestablishmentarianism' :huh:

yeah i'm pretty sure a lot of people had to do that, i know we did... looking up the definition, i'm curious if there might have been an ulterior motive behind that being included as part of the curriculum >__>

• Like 1

Sounds like it could just be a load of old shite to me

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the feedback & help with this :).

I bought it up with the teacher in the morning & she admitted it was not a word & went on to tell me that she did not write the spelling list but quickly pointed out the lady that did (Even though the teacher read the words out to the kids on monday & did not pick up the mistake). I had a talk to the lady that did the list & she told me she just put the word shute there to show the kids about silent letter "e" :huh: . As I was about to leave I asked the teacher if she wanted to teach my daughter the proper spelling or just forget about that word? Her answer shocked me when she said just teach her that way this week (as in teach her shute) & she would explain to the kids that it was not a word but learn it anyway :blink: & next week she will teach them the correct spelling "chute" WTF :wacko:!!

I would like to think at least a few of the other parents would of picked this up but it was not to be, I was the only one. This worries me as I assumed I would be one of the least educated fathers at the school, I left school very young.

Thanks again to all.

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

gtfjk6ushj3nchjfchjsukli

look at all those silent letters and numbers!

crazzy inglesh wut?

but seriously thats fucking retarded.

• Like 3

maths class at jox's school

jox: "2+2 doesn't equal 7"

teech: "yes we know but we're just teaching that this week to show that 2+2 doesn't equal seven, next week we'll teach that 2+2 actually equals 4"

• Like 2

sounds like a hasty attempt to justify complete ignorance

• Like 2

gtfjk6ushj3nchjfchjsukli

look at all those silent letters and numbers!

crazzy inglesh wut?

but seriously thats fucking retarded.

maths class at jox's school

jox: "2+2 doesn't equal 7"

teech: "yes we know but we're just teaching that this week to show that 2+2 doesn't equal seven, next week we'll teach that 2+2 actually equals 4"

^^ LOL, thanks for making me laugh at this fu#ked up situation. You summed it up perfectly "fucking retarded".

sounds like a hasty attempt to justify complete ignorance

That is exactly what it I thought, & the lazy teacher couldn't be bothered to send out a letter correcting the mistake! Pretty shit on her behalf!

Cheers

jox

That really sucks.

I'm glad you emphisized your point to the daft old wretch, atleast now she will hopefully think a little more carefully about the situation, if u hadnt made that final comment i doubt anything would have sunk into her thick head.

I'd be watching those spelling lists carefully in future and if you find anything else questionable go above their heads and make a complaint.

School is hard enough as a kid without your teachers asking you to learn anymore irrelevant bullshit than they already do.

• Like 2

School is overrated anyway. Too much emphasis on facts and not enough on life skills. Being smart is not what you know but how you apply your knowledge. What hope do future generations have if the education system can't even get their facts right?

primary school was okay, seemed necessary to function properly. most of high school was more like "day prison for adolescents under the guise of teaching you useful things".

"how to learn things you are interested in yourself using the internet and libraries" should have been the only mandatory course imo

• Like 2

My science teacher in year ten taught us how to make bombs, go figure.

My ceramics teacher in year ten taught us how to make bongs, go figure :)

• Like 5

Actually, I think they were supposed to be vases, but made great bongs anyway.

• Like 2

i only ever had two teachers who gave a fuck about me, my 1st ever teacher at primary school and my classics/history teacher who showed me how to pass my final year when i was about to drop out.

Having one decent teacher at either end of my school career made all the others just bareable.

school is only a joke because a huge majority of teachers are absolute egg-heads. Ya'll should see the nitwits i'm surrounded by at teachers college :(

I went through the entire school system in the UK labelled a racist because of one misunderstanding when I was 5. A good teacher is hard to find and most of them don't expect or appreciate genuine understanding or thought just rote learning, which I am profoundly shit at. I would have dropped out if the alternative (work) was more enticing, which it wasn't. College was great but it took me neatly 10 years to get there, at least some of my tutors were human beings, and had some flexibility. Teachers who are teaching spelling should at least be able to spell ffs