The Corroboree
at0m

Cannabis scratch and sniff cards to track down farms [UK]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21833045

1krbGgn.jpg

Marijuana-scented scratch cards are to be posted to thousands of households in a bid to detect illegal cannabis farms.

Crimestoppers, which runs the campaign, said the cards would help people to recognise the smell of cannabis and report suspected plantations to police.

The charity said there was a 15% rise in the number of cannabis farms found in homes between 2011 and 2012.

The West Yorkshire Police area had the largest number of cannabis plantations uncovered in the UK.

According to the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), about 1,800 cannabis farms were found in the area by officers between 2010 and 2012.

South Yorkshire had the second highest number with 1,600 farms uncovered in the same period.

Other hotspots included London, where more than 1,200 farms were detected, Greater Manchester, which had 800 plantations uncovered and Humberside, where officers found nearly 300 cultivations.

'Crackdown on cannabis'

Andy Bliss, from ACPO, said: "Many people don't realise that the empty, run-down house or flat on their street with people coming and going late at night may actually be a commercial cannabis farm.

"It's not just the stereotype of the remote rural set or disused industrial estate unit.

"These farms are often run by organised criminals [and] they bring crime and anti-social behaviour into local communities causing real harm and leaving people feeling unsafe."

Crimestoppers said growers were moving way from commercial and industrial properties and using homes to cultivate the plants.

The green and black cards, which are being distributed to 210,000 households, release a scent when scratched that replicates the smell of cannabis during its growing state.

The charity hopes the campaign would lead to a crackdown on the crime.

Roger Critchell, director of operations at Crimestoppers, said: "We are distributing scratch and sniff cards because not many people know how to recognise the signs of cannabis cultivation happening in their neighbourhood.

"Many are also not familiar with the established links between this crime and serious organised crime."

The initiative started three years ago in Holland, where 30,000 scratch cards were distributed to homes.

• Like 1

ha, lazy ass police

• Like 1

They should just give out baggies of weed instead so people know what to look for!

I'm sure they confiscate plenty they could hand out to help people "identify" farms.

Or, to *really* inform the public of what they should be looking out for, they could hand out cannabis seeds so people can grow it themselves

and they'll know exactly what to keep an eye open for..

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 4

I wonder if you Scratched and Sniffed enough of them, would you get high ?,lol. :) .

Edited by Amazonian

Imagine what this would do to any sniffer dogs stationed at regional mail centres

They'd have to give them the day off

Are you *sure* this is for real?

• Like 3

The Hells Angels have come out with their own scratch and sniff cards that smell like bacon so their members can tell if they've been infiltrated.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 11

If sniffing the card doesnt get you stoned maybe try chopping it up and smoking it

• Like 6

I'm guessing the alcohol industry is down on profits eh? Need to stop the competition!

• Like 1

I just had to quickly check the date to make sure this isn't someone's idea of a really bad April Fool's joke. I guess it isn't? :(

It's an interesting use of words, "Farm" - I think of tractors and tracts of land. I suppose it sounds more commercial and large scale than merely "grow room". I am fascinated that there are so many small-scale commercial operations in the UK - imagine how useful these people would be to the nation if the food supply got cut off and people were forced to grow their own. They are probably on the cutting edge of small-scale production systems, all fuelled by making a largely harmless substance illegal.

Fascinating stuff.

• Like 2

WW, those smart minded individuals are located everywhere mate, in every bush!

I'm banned from hiking with the girl through certain parts of the escarpment for the simple fact, there's too many large scale crops growing. Most are spread throughout the forest and not in rows etc. but I'm talkin pumps hidden under pallet sheds covered in scrub (didn't see resi's) , hoses covered with mulch running 100mtrs , and obvious signs of more than a dedicated stoner. Stumbling across two in one day and hearing talking whilst we stood at plants scared the fuck outta us both so bad we ran for 2kms back to the car in lightening pace.

I didn't touch a plant but I must say their soil composition was fucking perfect, at the least they were thorough horticulturists :-P

• Like 3

Ha ha, I remember when I was a teenager we used to collect & swap these cards with a different mull strains on each one, on the front was the picture & on the back was a write up on that strain & the card number. Funny memories but this post got me thinking how cool it would of been if those cards came out in scratch & sniff, Then you could of seen a photo of the stain/clone read about it & had a smell of it :lol:.

Cheers

jox

Does anyone remember when smut mags had scratch and sniff centerfolds ?

I had a Hustler mag that had one, it didn't smell like pussy but I scratched through about three pages of that issue trying to get the scent.

41efHCDEy%2BL._SY300_.jpg

• Like 2

I've always wanted to try the compound that sigma sell as a training substance for LSD detector dogs that isn't LSD.

I mean wtf, it's not like there's one well established route to that end product that every redneck does in their shed with cold tabs....

Does anyone remember when smut mags had scratch and sniff centerfolds ?

I had a Hustler mag that had one, it didn't smell like pussy but I scratched through about three pages of that issue trying to get the scent.

41efHCDEy%2BL._SY300_.jpg

hahaha thats awesome