The Corroboree

Hi,

I was excited today to get some fruit & a cutting of Hylocereus costaricensis (Red fruit, Red flesh) & had to share a few photos :). This completes my set of three, I already had Hylocereus undatus (Red fruit, White flesh) & Selenicereus megalanthus (Yellow spiky fruit, White flesh). Here are the pics

Hylocereus costaricensis

post-11291-0-54781800-1361170706_thumb.j post-11291-0-14443600-1361170756_thumb.j

post-11291-0-07342900-1361170802_thumb.j post-11291-0-17231000-1361170850_thumb.j

I am happy to have these three kinds, but I'm sure there must be some nice crosses & cultivars out there, if anyone has any & are keen to trade I have Hyocereus costaricansis & Selenicereus megalanthus seeds.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-54781800-1361170706_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-14443600-1361170756_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-07342900-1361170802_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-17231000-1361170850_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-54781800-1361170706_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-14443600-1361170756_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-07342900-1361170802_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-17231000-1361170850_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

i like the yellow flesh ones the best.

the red fleshed one, i have is self fertile, i say this because, many people asked, in the past.

dragon fruits are growing like crazy, and have become a pest in my garden, so one get's tons of cuttings, they are slower to establish by seed, but seedlings would be far more interressting.

they are tough, i mean super tough, and survive flooding and drought, and have one of the nicest flowers on top.

• Like 4

mine are just starting to bud any tips on Keeping the pests away during fruiting.

Jox can you save me some seed of the Red flesh seeds?

I haven't tried that one before.

edit some of the seeds lol. not the flesh.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

Last year i had a bridgesii seedling get base rot.. so in a rush of nervousness, I went to the store and got one of those moon cactus grafts and degrafted trying to save the seedling... I also tried to root the moon with a hylo stump but it just stayed the same for months and then eventually shriveled.. was my first actual cactus graft attempt...

The graft didnt take, it was too woody I suppose, but they didn't quite chop off all the aeroles and so know I've got a couple little ones from one offset that popped out... Twice I've had rot problems and so now i've got two little pieces well rooted but I noticed just a couple days ago that they both started pupping at the base... I think its undatus... I too want a red flesh variety ... those are the coolest fruits

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I will have plenty of seed, just PM me & I work something out in the next few weeks :wink:.

As far as taste goes, I agree with planthelper & reckon the yellow taste the best. I was reading about the three types & they say S.megalanthus (yellow) has the highest sugar content, just have to watch out for the spines.

Cheers

jox

somebody, i just met recently localy, has aswell all 3 varieties, we spoke about sweetnes and acidety, and he thinks, some fruits of the same plant can taste different, from too sweet to, too sour, but i guess, it has aswell to do, with how ripe the fruit is, or better, how long you leave it on the plant.

over ripe kiwi fruit are aswell, too sweet to eat, so maybe the same goes on with dragonfruit.

another thing is, the big red fruit, is always quite expensive to buy.

if i feel, the fruit is too sweet, than i sprinkle lime juice over it, yummm.

• Like 2

oh pls pls could i pay for some seeds off the yellow one pls of some one pls kate

• Like 2

I have some red fruited variety seedling I received from a friend that I do not have the space to grow. If anyone would like some, PM me, no trade necessary so long as their going to a loving home lol

I have some red fruited variety seedling I received from a friend that I do not have the space to grow. If anyone would like some, PM me, no trade necessary so long as their going to a loving home lol

• Like 2

I have had H. Polyrhizus (which they say is the same as H. Costarisensis) for quite a while,.. so no fruits yet,.. Until NOW finally I have another H. Polyrhizus (totally different morpholigy) which is also setting flowers. So I am sure I will get fruits now.

Have 2 Yellow pitaya's (S. Megalanthus)

have many other H. Undatus self fertile cultivars as well. Will take at least a few more years.

I'm growing them for myself and as a pilot project to see if I can grow them here as a business. I mean,.. what better thing then to grow cacti and make an extra buck that way. :-)

• Like 1

ohhh btw,... also looking into the edible opuntia fruits from Mex. (not the O. ficus indica)

The only cactus plant that I havent been able to obtain yet is the Pereskia Aculata < So if anyone out there has seeds of the P. Aculata.. the edible strain,.. please let me know and hope we can work something out.

I' m trying to do the same.................brought some seed from Joel

http://www.cactus-aventures.com/body_buying_seeds.html

Pereskia Aculata new seed (still available from January 2013) some poped up but then died, they are fussy...maybe to moist........Best success with the common Hylocereus u. magenta and white.....very fast growers ..........1' in 6 months...still 4 years from fruiting...I'm told..............seeking seed for Stenocereus varities.......very popular in Mexico...................When you start to explore the traditionally eaten cacti varities ...............the list is extensive..................grown heaps of types.... as fresh seeds come available..............but it takes years to reach fruiting maturity.................fun

• Like 2

but not so much as a business....but for home fruit supply.............the winters are a bit cold and damp here.................need to move stuff inside

Thx for the seed supplier link Dreamwalker.

Ermm,.... is 'dreamwalker' a shorter way of saying 'sleepwalking primate'....... hi hi hi,.. just poking fun at ja man. ( don't forget,.. "I love you!" )

• Like 1

woof woof woof just posted a list of traditionally eaten cacti fruit ...may be of interest