The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
captaincactuscakes

Pupping Loph

Business as usual except you'd be better off only bottom watering, if you water from above moisture might collect in the cut and cause rot.

Maybe you could even graft one of the pups?

• Like 1

pics u wont, pics u get.

and smack bang, right on the topic!

this pic shows, how a self seeded loph (including mite damage) could be mistaken for an early pup.

but self seeded lophs are, much rarer than pups, this is my first i ever noticed.

it was very likely, planted by ants. as a fact, i once removed a loph chillito and when i disected it, and some flesh and seeds fell onto the ground, i spotted two ants, one carried a seed away, the other some chillito skin!! :o

post-70-0-73339900-1361058378_thumb.jpg

those two pics show a loph which pupped early, note on the 2nd pic, how intellegent the ants are :ana: , they did hide the scale on the bottom of the pups, where i would have never detected them.

post-70-0-17052800-1361058517_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-61815100-1361058552_thumb.jpg

loph_self_seeded.JPG

loph_early_pupping.JPG

loph_early_pupping_bare_root.JPG

loph_self_seeded.JPG

loph_early_pupping.JPG

loph_early_pupping_bare_root.JPG

Edited by planthelper

Two more areoles have started to grow out! What can I do to encourage all five to develop? This is amazing, I've never been so fortunate to have this many potential pups from one loph. Ill get more pics up tomorrow...

• Like 1

I wasn't able to get the top half thathas been relocated to a large pedro because the file size is too high

Either use software to resize the too large pics or upload them to a pic hosting site like photoshack and then link to them.

If your scions are grafted onto pereskiopsis, theres a high probability all the areoles will pup.

PH your bottom pic is very reminiscent of the growth patterns of an Lw caespitosa

Captain- Just a suggestion, for future grafts, slice the ribs off at a 45 degree angle or more, leaving just the core area where you attach the scion. This will prevent a lot of problems down the road when the scion matures and starts overgrowing the root stock.

• Like 2

depends on how careful you are.... :wink:

if the scion is firmly attached, it shouldn't be a problem

Wont affect the graft and it will prevent rotting of the stock and graft caused by water gathering in the cavity created by sinking flesh at cut site

Well, good and not-so-good news. The good news is that the pups are developing well and all have multiple tiny little ribs :) but the bummer is the top half of the cutting, the part that was splitting, continued to do so even after I stopped watering it. It split in such a way that it started "popping" itself off the trich. I removed it today by barely wiggling it... it has started to shoot roots out though so i'm gonna let that be for a month or two then transplant to my soil mix.

Question: since it has split a bit, am I good to go ahead and plant it? The damaged tissue is scarred and dry but I don't want random bacteria showing up down the road...

Thank you!

Wow its really taking off captain. Its fairly safe to assume that your graft was a success. When the machine starts to seed I willgladly take off your hands, if u have extras of course.

Heya cap,

If your scion has thrown roots i would be planting it sooner than later. If those first roots dnt find soil or moisture soon enough they will shrivel up and then you'll be waiting alot longer to see any action.

Dnt worry too much about the split, it happens to almost everyone, just make sure u keep moisture and dirt away from it.

I have had several loph grafts nt really work, throwing roots is a sign the loph is looking elsewhere for nutrients.

I have even done grafts where the stock forms thick scar tissue between the two rings as a last resistance!

Re-rooting your button will be very easy now and maybe those pups on the top are calling out to be grafted next season ;)

• Like 1

hey captain cactus cakes, any chance you could post a larger picture of your avatar in the 'random picture thread'?

it looks awesome from what i can just see, are they cactus?

Sorry it took so long... been so busy with other projects. I'll update this with new growth here in a couple days once we hit the 4 week mark.

300446d1361427864-my-loph-pupping-topgra

what is this grafted onto? cereus peruvianus?

Nah, looks more blue/glaucas then that... Don't quote me :\