The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

importing animal medication

hey guys,

My dog looks like she is going to need dog painkillers for a while. The vet is charging $5 per tablet when just a quick search one google (first hit) has found them for less than $1 including shipping.

https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/productsearch.aspx?s=rimadyl

So my question is can i legally buy this online and ship it into the country?

It's just an NSAID, so there should be no customs restrictions [opiates, hormones and a few others are customs controlled]. However, all animals meds have to be quarantine approved and that usually means gettign an import permit, which is about $200 for 2 years. How often does your dog have to take these? The $200 might still be worth it.

Alternatively, if the product was marked & labelled for human use then quarantine takes no interest. is there a human eqivalent?

human version according to wicki- advil. the former drug is no longer permited for human use again, wicki.. it was used in humans for about ten years and stoped when advil was made as it has less side effects for humans. dont know how true it is though, again it's from wicki.

advil is iboprofen, so not the same drug at all.

how old is your dog and what is the painkiller for?

she has just turned three and needs them for a persistent rib injury. At first they thought is was bone cancer, but now it seems to be an injury that hasnt healed well.

ring around. try a different vet ? my wife is a vet nurse and there shop has a huge fuken 70% mark up on all drugs!!!!!

large breeds can have panadol also you can give ya puppy fish oil and glucosamine powder

also ibuprofen 10mg per 1kg of puppy twice a day [ask ya vet] :innocent_n:

• Like 1

what builit said... find NSAIDs that will do a similar job which are also available for humans, and dilute as appropriate?

Biggest problem with NSAIDS is the stomach issues. With older animals just put them on prednisone as it works much better and improves their life. But with younger ones it can have long term consequences. Still, alternating with steroidals can give the tummy time to heal.

I can't find much about why carprofen should be safer than ibuprofen. Both are quite dangerous to animals.

My old dog was prescribed Rimadyl for arthritis, and I found it didn't agree with him. He had bloodied, mucous coated stools , so i stopped giving it to him.... Just a heads up .

I hope your pooch fully recovers....with many a doof'n' day ahead.

70% mark-up. typical.. thats why i NEVER buy in australia if i can find an option off-shore. this country is beyond greedy. it dam well shits me!

if it were me, i'd go to my doc and get a cox-2 inhibitor and dose the dog accordingly with it. nsaids will screw up it's stomach and your wallet, by the sounds of it.

Meanwhile, ask your vet for a prescription of Ketalar to anaethetise your tropical fish. That might make some of the pain near your wallet-hip disappear!

yeah NSAIDS can cause problems with the liver and stomach for dogs . but u can use it just dont go crazy with it lol

if it were me, i'd go to my doc and get a cox-2 inhibitor and dose the dog accordingly with it. nsaids will screw up it's stomach and your wallet, by the sounds of it.

Rimadyl [carprofen] is a selective cox 2 inhibitor. It is also an NSAID. Aren't all cox2 inhibitors NSAIDS?

The cost of vetinary medicine's a bitch, isn't it, considering there's no PBS equivalent or anything for pets. Our cat's on insulin, neomercazole, and meloxicam (used to be on cortisol before we found out she had diabetes). Costs us a small fortune.

• Like 2

We think our dog was severely affected by oral prednisone treatment (which was prescribed for a skin condition... - only later did we find that a prednisone cream relieves his skin problems without the risk) - we think it resulted in his pancreatitis (he was probably at high risk from his diet to begin with, eating leftover scraps and licking plates and bowls). A quick google shows others share the same concern - so be careful if you want to go the steroid route. :)

As a result of his pancreatitis, he no longer can have the fatty meat he used to enjoy. He has turned into a ninja dog, and will raid any and all bins that contain scraps. Even raids the compost heap for carrots. :innocent_n:

hope all this info helps ya billio lol!!! hope ya puppy is all good my mate..

• Like 1

lol quoted my quote lol

Edited by bullit