The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

Excellent, cheers! I am going to put down some more acuminata and also some maidens wattle soon. I'll give it a go, thanks for the tip's :-)

• Like 1

No troubles. The maidens wattle could possibly benefit from the humidity, seeing as it's endemic to NSW and QLD coastal areas that receive much more rainfall than the acuminata. But seeing as you're in a temperate climate anyway your outdoor humidity will probably suffice. Depends how far south you are I guess. Let us know how you get on :)

• Like 1

Sow scarified seeds (pick out and use the ones that swell when placed in near boiling water) into native plant potting soil in the tubes just like you have already used. Germinate in full sun and then put under shade cloth full sun for about a month and then gradually increase the sunshine throughout summer. By the end of jan they should be good to be in full sun all the time. Use gravel as gtarman has suggested. You should get almost 30/30, not six! They are hardy buggers, good potting soil is the key. Plants germinated in Dec should be 10 inches or more by June ready to go in the ground. I have done this with acum, maidenii, obtus and other native wattles without any issues or need to be indoors, humidity etc. etc. and is roughly how seedlings for reveg projects are generally prepared (eucs/myrtaceae and wattles especially). Water every day or two days if the soil is well drained.

• Like 3

^^^ Thanks for all the info,, I'll definitely take it all on board and not be as clinical with the next lot,,

I only started this lot under lights as I'm way down south and it's only starting to warm up here in the last month or two.

@ micromegas, should I keep the lid on them while germinating, or leave it off so there is no humidity in there? I germed the last lot under humidity,, perhaps for the maidens wattle as they're a more humid climate wattle? I'll do the near boiling soak again, didn't need to scar or nick the seeds as before germ rate was really good, just survival rates dropped. I've shown their progress in the acuminata seed swelling thread.

thanks again :-)

ps,, I wouldn't get anywhere this info from bunnings lol

Long live SAB

hot water treatment should be sufficient.

I have always germinated them in full sun (with a thin layer of gravel on top) low humidity, no dome, nothing, just in the back yard in tubes. Once the first leaves are up, put under shade cloth as they are susceptible to burning early on particularly in strong afternoon light.

I am from SA, late Nov into Dec is the best time to start wattles with temps in mid-20s up to high thirties. Just don't get the young ones in full sun on a 40deg day they will get fried, otherwise they are very hardy especially from 2inches plus onward. Keep them moist but not wet, if that makes sense.

They do not need any special care, and I have had success with maidenii, obtus and floribunda these are even more forgiving than acuminata IME.

• Like 1

Today I planted my white sapote tree (Casimiroa edulis) into the ground. It got huge in its pot, and has grown more than a meter in the last few months or so alone...the thing is nuts. Hopefully now that it has some proper root space it will take off to become the big healthy tree it's capable of being.

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

I planted a Bhut Jolokia that I bought. I also planted a couple carob seeds, after letting them soak for a couple days. Noticed a couple nicotiana rustica seedlings pop up and counted how many peganum harmala seedlings have popped up - now up to 40 seedlings :)

Discovered this variegated Plantago major ( the broad leaf plantain ) growing in a friends paddok a few weeks back. Not a rare plant but I thought this was a cool specimen non the less.

post-11261-0-81388200-1386389765_thumb.j

post-11261-0-81388200-1386389765_thumb.jpg

post-11261-0-81388200-1386389765_thumb.jpg

Good times in the sacred garden today. HOT in the morning, sweet cool rain in the afternoon.

It was very nice to work in.

I added some white sage, tulsi, chilli, pyrethrum and a couple flowers to this bed, which already houses sage, Withiana somnifera, silene capensis, poppy and comfrey

post-8023-0-47090700-1387004663_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-33869100-1387004699_thumb.jp

Added this bromeliad to the family

post-8023-0-58120600-1387004734_thumb.jp

Potted up a couple trays

SS01 x SS02 body-guarding a grafted TPQC x TPM

post-8023-0-55194400-1387004815_thumb.jp

The stuff I got from bullit tray - triple yellow brugs on either side of a fiesta chilli

post-8023-0-30765100-1387004917_thumb.jp

A mate dropped off these two floral delights - pollinators moved in immediately :)

He is away for the summer so I will be plant-sitting and making leaf cuttings a-plenty (with his permission of course)

post-8023-0-29922900-1387005074_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-20692800-1387005234_thumb.jp

And I observed puss becoming immensely interested in this Siberian mother wort. He was chewing on the leaves and rubbing against it, getting all frisky. It seemed to be having a noticeable mood-altering affect on him, but then I saw him chewing on dandelion leaf just after, so maybe he was just in an experimental mood.

post-8023-0-56590100-1387005400_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12

sneaky loph in 6th pic? Those cacti look awesome

Sown the Acuminata and Maidens wattle seeds. 2 x trays, each tray has both varieties but placed in different locations. One outside in much warmer conditions, the other under cover in a slightly cooler place. Wish me luck :-)

This week I've given away two Salvia and reduced my plantation a little, though I think I still have at least 20 viable plants.
It was nice to find people who wanted them.

I need to stop trimming branches, I have no where left to grow them, guess I'll have to start drying them for smoking instead.

Does anyone want one? I have plenty I could try to post.

• Like 1

brought in the winter stuff and cleaned up some plots for roartation

then i spotted these sprouts

are these bullits? bulli are these yours you stinker...actually when i stink about tit i think yours wre the only duras atura i've planted lately. I'd fargotten them until the heat woke them up obviously.

props brother stinker bulli

bulla!

post-4664-0-45654200-1387520272_thumb.jp

popps.jpg

popps.jpg

• Like 1

That's a little cactus seedling ain't it Cheshire?

Dats don't have lil claws.

..now I'm comfused. Toes and leaves when I click.

What sorcery is this?

I'm outa here.

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 2

brought the A.acuminata (2 y.o ) in the green house

attempted for the 5-6th day to pollinate the mandrake, crossing fingers there will be some fruit at the end...

got myself some 40 small various trees to plant in the burnt area. pommegranage and almond trees included, no ethnos though

bringing cacti back in the GH

• Like 1

Suddenly a pretty flower appears

brugy_zps3353d850.jpg

• Like 3

^^^^^^

luv da variegata brug!!!

I went to check my mandrakes today and I think a fruit a forming! Too early to say with certainty....

Hurray!!! Dont know if its my attempts, but I think I might carry on trying to help pollination

• Like 1

Walked out to the location I am considering for a greenhouse.

It is thirty below zero with the windchill.

Wondering wtf I was thinking........

Trying to work out what I'm going to do with the overabundance of various trees I now have :)

Admired the rapid progress of the mystery Turmeric (will post more about that soon in a separate thread)

Wondered what to do with that 6th bag of horse poo - the veggie beds are already covered in it - but can you ever have too much horse poo?

Also - scored a big Stevia rebaudiana on special at Bunnings as well as a 'Cola plant' - Artemisia abrotanum var. maritima - crush the leaves, especially the new tips, and it smells like cola soft-drink. I may or may not take heed of the advice on the plant lable to not consume more than a small amount at a time.

Watered my (conventional) kratom motherplants

post-12633-0-35320400-1389666435_thumb.p

post-12633-0-35320400-1389666435_thumb.png

post-12633-0-35320400-1389666435_thumb.png

• Like 2

Yeti 101....

Be careful with horse manure,

If it isn't entirely composted.....weeds seeds can go right through the horse, then sprout in your garden!

Showed a new friend around the garden and sent her home with an armload of premium cacti.

Admired and photographed this lovely little tulsi - sacred basil - who has been blooming its delicate little blooms and bringing me much delight over the last week or so.

post-8023-0-13143000-1389689432_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-09026200-1389689627_thumb.jp

I'm more appreciative of the little things this summer, many plants have faded into the background for me, and mother natures tends them in my absence. My sacred garden is a sacred jungle.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

brought in the winter stuff and cleaned up some plots for roartation

then i spotted these sprouts

are these bullits? bulli are these yours you stinker...actually when i stink about tit i think yours wre the only duras atura i've planted lately. I'd fargotten them until the heat woke them up obviously.

props brother stinker bulli

bulla!

attachicon.gifpopps.jpg

looking good . let us know how they go .

i am soo stoked that my poison emubush flowered :wub:

post-11973-0-10276300-1389778603_thumb.j

post-11973-0-60509500-1389778673_thumb.j

post-11973-0-10276300-1389778603_thumb.jpg

post-11973-0-60509500-1389778673_thumb.jpg

post-11973-0-10276300-1389778603_thumb.jpg

post-11973-0-60509500-1389778673_thumb.jpg

• Like 1