The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
goneski

Help Me Fill My Empty Greenhouse

Hi all,

I recently bought a cheap 5 tier greenhouse and at the moment, well, it's empty.

Given that I'm a complete noob / dummy when it comes to plants and am more of a myco head, can someone suggest what I should

be filling it with?

If it makes any difference, it's located against the back of the house, on the West side of the house, so will mainly be getting indirect sunlight with maybe

a couple of hours in the afternoon. I've also got some 50% shade cloth to cover it with if needed.

My only thought / interest at the moment is maybe a Calea plant.

Cheers :)

some nice loph buttons or grafts?

maybe try your hand @ some cactus seeds.

• Like 2

Yea monks right onto it :) thats a prime spot for cactus seedlings. Just buy a couple seedling trays, and fill the top couple of shelves with your seedlings. Then if its anything like what ive got, there will be a fairly big bottom section which is good to house all other plants/seedlings :wub:

Just make sure youve got a heavy pot in the bottom, or hold it down one way or another. Ive learnt the hard way lol, dont forget :)

Sweet, yea.. I've been thinking of trying cacti.. At the moment I've just got a few bricks and a bag of potting mix on the bottom shelf -- some proper plants in pots would look much nicer, though.

do you get frost @ your place?

calea is a pretty hardy plant ime,

maybe try out a psychotria carthigenesis or nexus, if these survive then it would be worth a try to grow a p. viridis.

greenhouse seems like a good way to germinate and harden off seedlings before chucking them into the ground somewhere.

or storing hard to grow plants.

maybe both

catha edulis is a nice plant and aus has a pretty amazing variety of seeds for this one imo.

• Like 1

Have you thought about a Banisteriopsis caapi vine?

Or maybe you could bring the myco to the greenhouse, with all the humidity inside it might be the perfect place to flush.

• Like 1

with a greenhouse you have perfect humidity conditions for most tropical plants, like nexus, iboga, caapi and others

yes mycorrhiza would be ideal, also anti-pathogenic fungi like Trichoderma harzianum (not really symbiotic with the plant, but eats the bad pathogenic fungi)

• Like 1

Coleus is a beautiful addition to any plant collection.

Cacti and succulents are pretty efficient on space and will reward your efforts with gorgeous flowers.

Carnivorous plants are fun too.

• Like 1

many succulents and cacti like Sceletium, Lophophora, Aztekium and Ariocarpus don't like a humid environment, but carnivorous plants would be perfect, try Genlisea

• Like 1

i have one and a good tip is to strengthen it with zip ties

• Like 1

Okay, here's the list so far of what I'm going to get (all of it obviously won't go into the greenhouse necessarily):

Banisteriopsis caapi 'Enano' (not sure if to get Enano or what?)
Calea zacatechichi
Psychotria viridis (UDV or Chacruna? Both?)
Psychotria nexus
And I plan on getting a few cacti, as well.. Still deciding though. I'll go for a couple of cuttings, plus some seed.
I'm sure I'll find some other things to get, too. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Edited by SYNeR

star pickets and zip ties.

i wish i followed your advice stillman the storm knocked it over and all my babies went everywhere