The Corroboree
lhb2444

Just had this fitted

So I've just had this expander fitted for some orthodontic work being done and fuck me is it the most annoying thing I've ever experienced. I now talk retarded and can't swallow properly as my tongue can touch the roof of my mouth and just generally doesn't feel like it fits in with the expander in there. Worst part is I've got to wear it for the next month until my surgery takes place. Not happy :(

post-9261-0-05420300-1355719325_thumb.jp

post-9261-0-05420300-1355719325_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-05420300-1355719325_thumb.jpg

Its probably the initial sensation of a foreign body in your mouth?!, and you should get use to it...well... as use to it as can be expected. My son had a similar complaint when he had a plate he had to wear. He was complaining it hurt and he was talking like with a lisp,lol.

I wouldn't be able to handle it, i reckon i would be gaging.

If it is rubbing your gums or is still uncomfortable after a week, go back and get the orthodontist to have a look it it.

Anyway, good luck with the dental work, keep smiling.

PS. I am glad you cleaned your nose for the photo :wink:

:)

• Like 4

I had braces for years, including a similar contraption on the roof of my mouth. You'll get used to it quick enough.

I hated braces. I didn't really need them as my teeth were always pretty good. But I always had pain from this one tooth that would always twist slightly as my teeth grew and packed them in a little tighter. I got referred to an orthodontist, and of course they will never tell you you don't need them. The pain from the braces was worse than what I had originally. Every time they tighten them you know it's gonna cane for a few days. I think they've pretty much gone back to how they were before braces anyway now, but of course I never wore my plate after the braces had come off. I don't envy you.

I havn't got bad teeth, but they are not good either, I certainly could have done braces as a teenager and maybe if I lived in the city, it might have been important for looks. I'd rather have spent the money on getting my crooked nose straightened and the cartaliage put where it's meant to be. But thats just me. If a dentist recommended this now, as an adult, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

I was told as a youngster that i needed braces, My dear old mum with her scottish ways told the dentist to pull a couple of teeth instead. He did. and hey presto, straight(er) teeth. :wave-finger:

i dont trust dentists at all. i have never had a filling, never had a toothache, have not been to the dentist in 25 years, never lost a tooth but i bet if i did go to one then all of a sudden i would need something done. personally i feel teeth are something that should not be tinkered with. i have fairly poor oral hygene but maintain a basic cleanliness as in i brush at least once per week usually once per day, i believe that yellow stuff is natural and healthy teeth should be although not magazine quality a slight yellow. i drink lots of cool drinks and have bad teeth in the family line. all others in my family visit the dentist and get fillings and teeth pulled all the time, i dont and i think thats a curious co-incidence. its like visiting a mechanic and those barstards are always wanting to scam money from vulnerable people just like dentists and then they usually screw up the status quo you had and that just forces you to keep fixing things again and again.........dentists are modern day scammers.

Well I went to the orthodontist as my teeth aren't really functional, they don't meet at the front at all, only one side of mouth has contact on my back teeth which cause my jaw to click and has caused very early signs of arthritis in my jaw joint on the side taking all the pressure and they don't look all that good I was thinking bracers would fix it all but due to my age and my face no longer growing making any changes to jaw structure (which I need to widen the roof of my mouth) has been done through an operation. Sucks big time :( There are some unintended pros to the operation though, due to the increase in size of my palette my surgeon reckons once all done the volume of my airway could increase by up to 30% significantly improving my breathing (which is fine as is)

Bracers are fairly easy these days, most of the time 12 months is all thats required and the new bracers are made in such a way that once they are put on they don't need to be tightened or removed until the end of the process (at least from what I've learned by reading into them)

Thought it might be time for an update!

Had my surgery last Tuesday which was successful and recovery in the hospital was painless and pretty cruisy (thank fuck for fentanyl!!!)

The first 2 days out of hospital were fucking hell though, was a big step from IV fentanyl at the push of a button to 30mg of oral codeine every 6 hours :(

Thankfully the pain is less and less now as the days go on and I'm at my parents place in Port Macquarie being looked after which is nice. I also found out my old girl has a healthy stash of endone in the medicine draw for some reason which certainly subdues the pain when needed a hell of a lot better than my codeine script.

I began the actual expanding of my palette today too (I do 1/6mm per day to a total of 4mm) which I was told by a friend who had the surgery years ago was the most painfull part of the process, thankfully it wasn't to bad at all it just feels like someone's putting constant pressure on my teeth which is a little uncomfortable but definitely not what I was expecting. I'll upload some photos once I can actually see the expansion is parting my teeth over the next week or two..

Edited by lhb2444
  • Like 1

That all sounds pretty heavy ihb2444, I hope it all works out as planned.

By the way...what does ihb stand for... I hate braces ?! Lol . Sorry :P

All the best.

Thanks Amazonian so far so good! I think the after this the braces will be a piece of cake haha.

Its actually LHB which stands for Lighthouse Beach in Port Macquarie (postcode 2444) Pretty shitty name in hindsight but was all that came to mind when I made it :)

• Like 1

^ Ah...so its an L... i always get l's and I's confused...

Its not such a shitty nick really. Light House Beach sounds like a neat place to be.

Oath it's a nice place to be

• Like 1

thats just messed up dude. you sure your from sydney? not tasmania???

happy to send a donation dude. peace.

i dont get it, ur top teeeth look fine in the top pic?

is this some mew bizzare body modification craze?

haha not a new body mod craze. It's part of my orthodontic treatment to correct my bite and reduce the pressure on one side of jaw (due to my bite only one side of my jaw takes the pressure from me chewing which is causing early onset arthritis of my jaw and wearing my teeth down to quickly) This process is slowly widening my upper jaw so that when I get my braces and my teeth are moved into the correct position to fill the gaps (plus a few false teeth to fill in some other gaps) they will all meet flush and hence my whole jaw will be sharing the workload of my eating therefore averting the problems of arthritis and worn teeth. It should also give me a nice smile when all said and done :)

FULL ON MAN.. FULL ON. im guessing u would have ur choice from the world of painkillers :)

Not really, I would have thought so. While in the hospital the Fentanyl worked wonders but out of hospital I only had 1 script, no repeats of 30mg codeine tablets which only lasted 3 days then I was on my own :(

you need to work on your acting skills, and willingness to lie through your teeth.

• Like 2

i just got a crown done and it cost 2785 my friend reckons to go to asia to get dental work

done as it is so cheap anyone had any experience with this

Heaps of people go to asia for all sorts of surgeries I guess its all about how much you trust the surgeon/dentist you have doing your procedure. I actually had a surgery that required general anesthetic and the use of bone saws on my jaw/palette to restructure my my upper jaw which I definitely was not comfortable having done overseas. Don't get me wrong there probably are plenty of good surgeons and what not over there but I have no idea how to find them and it could get pretty expensive staying there while you have consultations with various people to pick who your going have perform your procedure, plus then there's the potential language barrier if your wanting to ask questions (which I definitely was) I also had a 3 day stay in hospital for recovery and again I have no idea what their hospitals are like but I doubt would have been as good as the private hospital I was in. Finally if something goes wrong a month or 2 later then you've either gotta see someone here to fix it which makes it more expensive in the end or if your able fly back over there (getting expensive) and see your surgeon/etc again.

• Like 1

I think the expansion could finally be finished! I see my surgeon Wednesday to confirm that its been expanded far enough, by my count it's about 5mm to 6mm wider (by measuring the gap between my teeth.) I've noticed its also widened my nose a little and improved my ability to breath through the nose greatly which is pretty cool.

post-9261-0-97021400-1360462639_thumb.jp

post-9261-0-97021400-1360462639_thumb.jpg

post-9261-0-97021400-1360462639_thumb.jpg