The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
myco

rooting hormone with lophophora

just want to see what others think about using a rooting hormone with degrafted lophophora's and removed pups etc.

i havent tried it myself and was wondering if anyone else uses it and wether you think it makes much of a difference

i'm considering giving it a go since lophs can be pretty slow to root out at times

i thought it could be a good little helping hand

what do you guys think anyone else use it?

do you get noticably better results?

ive found it doesnt make a difference mate..i havnt noticed quicker root growth on degrafted lophs with rooting hormone, infact some degrafts just seem to form roots really quick others take ages....bottom heat helps that for sure..

cheers mate

i had a feeling it probably wouldnt make much of a difference

i dont think i'll bother with it

i've only rooted out a couple before and i didnt use any bottom heat

i think i'll try that this time

i chopped a few the other day and then i found some rooting powder when i was rumaging around afterwards

and started to wonder if it would make much of a difference

• Like 1

ditto, in fact in larger cuts i often foudn it slowed them as it sometiems made teh callous very hard and rigid adn i watched as roots grew underneath and sideways as they couldnt crack the callous (L. koehresii).

i dont ever use it anymore on lophs or most cacti for that matter.

how would you strike lophs quickly?

think ive read that some people use coco coir, but sounds like a quick way to rot, although most of my degrafts seem to need a decent amount of water..

I have used it and will continue using it. I really do no think it speeds anything up, but it has a high sulphur content which I think helps keep infections down. That why I use it.

i've heard of people using coir to spacemonk never tried it

all i ever do is sulphur the wounds let them callous then place ontop of coarse sand for a week or 2 with nothing

then start spraying with a small amount of water usually every second day

• Like 1

I typically pot 'em up in dry potting soil and ignore them completely. I could't care less if they root or not, its either sink or swim.

Really zelly ?

You don't give em any water or anything

the potting medium gets no water whatsoever for the first 3-4 months, after that just a tiny bit every month or so for the first year or until they have well established new roots.

What do we know about cactus plants? That they are capable of storing great amounts of water. Degrafted lophs have more than enough water stored in them to grow all new roots in bone dry soil, and why risk rotting the new roots and or the plant by watering the potting medium?

With no roots, the de grafted head gets all the water it needs from the air around it.

The rate of transpiration - the movement of water vapor out of a plant - is determined by the amount of opening of the stomatal pores and the difference in water vapor concentration or pressure between the inside of the stem and the air next to the stem

. here

• Like 3

interesting cheers for that zelly

gonna have to try that with the latest bunch of degrafts :)

I know someone who uses core with good results. But only place them on core once they have calloused.

i use rhizotonic its made by canna and stimulates root growth just mix it up and spray the cacti and give it a good

drenching on the cut it will help create a callous .I can post you a sample if you want

http://www.canna.com.au/rhizotonic

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 1

Zelly's is a good approach for lots of cacti. If they don't have any roots cacti can't use water.

I've tried tests with rooting hormone (Hormodin-II) on a flat of cuttings of pachanoi and did a matched set without it with the same results reported by the respondents above. It did not make any positive difference. If anything the untreated set did a bit better.

Edited by trucha