The Corroboree
gem

Doc won't prescribe xanax, in withdrawals - should I go to ER?

I have been following this thread but had nothing constructive to add (which seems too often the case) but i was holding space for you and when i read that you got the script all sorted i got 'all happy shivers', gem I know you WILL beat those fuckers

Edited by eatingsand
  • Like 1

all the best gem, really glad to see you managed to get a prescription.

what are people's thoughts on ibogaine for benzo withdrawal? i have no idea if this would be a a really good or really bad idea or something in between...

• Like 1

Didn't want to make a new thread, so I hope it's okay if I add my own benzo related story. :)

I just went to my doc to get prescribed modafinil, and he wouldn't have any of it. First he said he'd never heard of it (okay fine, then tell me that I'll have to come back when you know more), then he looked at the medsafe page (this one: http://www.medsafe.g...ecember2011.htm), and made up some rubbish about how "oh wow, I can see it's really dangerous" and said he couldn't prescribe it at all. Then he proceeded to say he could prescribe me anti-depressants or a hypnotic, and that was it. So I left with a script for some Temazepam, rather than getting nothing ($40 for a visit and another $2 for some pills - why not).

Really angry, that he would pretend he knew a medicine was dangerous after reading about it for 20 seconds (if not less), and then giving me a dangerous benzo without batting an eyelid. Whole profession is full of dangerous people who blatantly have many more, higher-priority motivations than what the patient needs.

I explained it clearly that falling asleep wasn't my problem, but staying focused was. Secondly, after reading about Temazepam wiki quotes: "but has the drawback of distorting the normal sleep pattern", Side effects typical of hypnotic benzodiazepines are related to CNS depression, and include somnolence, dizziness, fatigue, ataxia, headache, lethargy, impairment of memory and learning, longer reaction time and impairment of motor functions (including coordination problems), slurred speech, decreased physical performance, numbed emotions, reduced alertness, muscle weakness, blurred vision (in higher doses), and inattention.-

SO IT MAKES MY PROBLEM WORSE!!! FUCK YOU DOCTOR, FUCK YOU!

So anyway, I am looking into the racetams as I think it's my only legal option. :(

CBL, thank you for your post - I must admit I hadn't heard of modafinil myself (probably the only perk of working for Centrelink was having unlimited access to MIMS online) :wink:

I read modafinil and quickly googled it before I saw you kindly put a link there :blush: From what I have read on the site I went to (http://www.modafinil.com/) it sounds like a great medication. I definitely could use the help with memory improving (after 12yrs of xanax, gold fish have a longer memory than me :blink:) and ''mood-brightening'' - who wouldn't want that? Oh, just chatting to BF re modafinil and his response: ''good luck getting that''. :( Suppose need to think of contraindications etc but sounds like in conjunction with epilim, reduced xanax and diazepam, I could be free of meds!

I hate to hear someone in a similar position :(

The doc that gave me the xanax said that it was banned in the US (news to me!) - must google some more current info. Empathise with you so much - my example, xanax - doc knew little about but only this ''banning'' in the US because allegedly 'the government' sent letters to all GPs to advise etc. Hate temazepam, not that it works with my current benzo tolerance.

I wish you well in finding a compassionate and knowledgable doctor. Best of luck with racetams or whomever you decide to take legal action with :)

• Like 1

It's not cost effective to buy modafinal in aus for $80 per #30 count of tabs, while you can get it o-seas for much lessand the same brand, if you get the script buy it online imho.

easy to get modafinal for shift work sleep syndrome, i got that + hypnodorm on a first visit to a doctor once. I was just after the modafinal, then he siad if i wanted the hypnodorm for sleep. Didnt know what it was until i filled it :)

Good luck with the taper! best to try to get off xanax and switch over to valium and then taper off that. Pretty sure that is the standard approach. Benzo's are a bitch, but they do help some people in the short term.

Gabapentin is meant to help, it's supposed to not have cross tolerance with benzo's but i highly doubt it!

I hope you find a more switched on doctor that will help meet your needs better.

• Like 1

I have been following this thread but had nothing constructive to add (which seems too often the case) but i was holding space for you and when i read that you got the script all sorted i got 'all happy shivers', gem I know you WILL beat those fuckers

thank you eatingsand :wub:

I really appreciate your advice and empathy - tapering down by myself well. Thinking of giving the Epilim away though as it causes too many adverse side-effects (nausea, unsteadiness, rash/hives...).

''when i read that you got the script all sorted i got 'all happy shivers', gem I know you WILL beat those fuckers''.

THANK YOU!!! :lol: Definitely much easier to continue to titrate down (in conjuction with valium, due for one now, thanks for the reminder :wink:) when a person is in control of their own medication. Also the support and advice I have received from forum members has been overwhelming, I can't express how grateful I am. :wub:

gem

:)

all the best gem, really glad to see you managed to get a prescription.

what are people's thoughts on ibogaine for benzo withdrawal? i have no idea if this would be a a really good or really bad idea or something in between...

Thank you chnt :) I'd be interested to hear other members' thoughts re Ibogaine - it was something I was looking into as a rapid detox. Sounds like the process is awful but... so are benzo withdrawals :(

gem

:)

you can buy modafinil in 10g lots, from india I think, if you know where to look. Dr's initial reluctance on cursorary perusal might have been because it's listed as an alpha-1 adrenoagonist.

• Like 1

What we used to use for benzo detox's was a benzo antagonist called Flumazenil (trade name anexate)

we had great success but epic failures at the same time . But it was a tricky detox as it was a infusion over

10 days and patient's were prone to fitting so we had to prescribe epilim and other epileptic drugs.

the best way to stop using benzo's is get put on a regime of Valium and slowly do it. If you ever feel like a

fit is coming on call a ambo asap . afoaf thought he had epilepsy but it was the Xanax withdrawals and

took the doctor a while to figure it out, as he kept his xanax addiction secret .

in regards to Ibogaine

To fix heroin addiction is very hard, no quick fix is going to stop that. It takes

time, dedication, opiate replacement therapy , counseling, and a strong peer

group . In regards to Ibogaine be very skeptical it may have had a few success

stories but that does not make it a silver bullet . If it works for some great, but

i dont see it becoming a life changing event. I would like to see the relapse figures

i would think they would be rather high . I have worked with Naltrexone before we

got great results for some but the relapse rate was so high when the implant depleted

only ones who went through the rehab afterword showed the highest level of success.

My point being with out follow up care the patient is doomed to fail , i have seen it

to many times.

gem with regard to epilim be very careful as it might bring on a seizure if you just

suddenly stop taking it talk to a gp about reducing your dose or find a replacement

with fewer side effects

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 1

Did you end up getting off them gem? I relise this is a kinda old thread, I'm just wondering if you managed to?