The Corroboree
qualia

reducing the chat post time limit

can you reduce the chat post time limit? or when you post with like 1 second to go and post again, the timer resets to 5 seconds, can you get rid of that?

• Like 7

I don't see a limit. does this only apply to certain member groups or is everyon affected? how about the mods? the more info I have the easier it iwll be to track down.

the flood control.

say if you make one post and try to submit another quickly it'll say wait 5 seconds, so you might count to 5 and get it wrong and hit enter again and it says wait 1 second so you wait a second and get it wrong again and it says wait 8 seconds... it can be pretty frustrating if you get to this point.

I could barely type and send 'test' in 5 seconds, so unless you have only monosyllabic responses it seems like an unlikely scenario ;)

I can change the flood control, but this is global. There is no way to remove the second limitation.

• Like 1

It happens regularly for me, and I would say to most of the people who use the chat regularly.

Torsten, what you think is an unlikely scenario is actually standard in chat rooms, at least for those of us who type faster than 12 words per minute (I thought I was a slow typer!)

It is common in chat rooms including the corroboree to have a lot of short, snappy remarks, responses and clarifications: a very different dynamic to the forums generally.

The flood control and slow updating takes away from this and makes the experience quite frustrating at times, especially when compared to the intimacy and flow of 'the lab'.

I think the best solution is to embed the lab or another IRC chat room into the forums.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

This is a typical scenerio that happens to me a lot

00:00:01 Some poster: "Something funny"

00:00:02 Distracted: "lol"

00:00:04 Distracted: "witty response"

Shout flooding is enabled. Please wait 7 seconds before shouting again.

00:00:08 Distracted: "witty response"

Shout flooding is enabled. Please wait 3 seconds before shouting again.

00:00:10 Distracted: "witty response"

Shout flooding is enabled. Please wait 7 seconds before shouting again.

it's also really annoying when you say something and notice there's a stupid typo or mistake, so you try and correct it and run into flood control.

:(

so the flood control for chat also affects posting? that kind of sucks.

• Like 1

Is the IRC room still up? Or does everyone just kick it in chat?

I really like the chat feature here. I like how you can get an idea of the conversation before you join in, and you can see who is chatting...unlike a normal chat room where you don't know who is chatting, or the topic of conversation until you join (in my experience). I like being able to throw in random comments during the day with out committing to a conversation...which wouldn't be good chat etiquette in a normal chat room set up?!

But yeah, the flood thing is a bit of a pain.

Is the IRC room still up? Or does everyone just kick it in chat?

Which one are you referring to jonstn?, #thelab or the newer one that at0m created?. #thelab is still there, but it doesn't get visitors as far as i know, but it is good to go to if you needed to have a private chat anytime.

PS: Thank You Torsten for SABs chat feature... i approve...it can stay :P:)

• Like 1

I can change the flood control, but this is global. There is no way to remove the second limitation.

flood control, i knew there was a word for it,

by global do you mean for forum posts as well?, thats fine by me, unless it'll open the door to spammers better, but there's not seems to be many of those around,

This is the actual code in 'shoutbox.ajax.js1' - which is a module in IP board - There's be a setting in the shoutbox xml file for shoutbox flood control - which might be different than the main IP board flood control. Or you could wrangle the below code...

if ( ipshoutbox.flood_limit && ipshoutbox.bypass_flood != 1 && ipshoutbox.my_last_shout )

{

var flood_check = ipshoutbox.getTimestamp() - ipshoutbox.my_last_shout;

if (flood_check < ipshoutbox.flood_limit)

{

ipshoutbox.produceError( ipshoutbox.errors['flooding'].replace( '{#EXTRA#}', ( ipshoutbox.flood_limit - flood_check ) ) );

return false;

}

}

Looks like it's called: flood_limit

Edited by IndianDreaming

I always drop in to the lab.... but it s such a ghost town these days... nobody is ever there to lsten to my ramblings - come and chat with me amz... bout time we exchanged some more banter.

Atoms ethno chatroom on xchat is not bad either... a good alternative for sure... get on here and give everyone the lowdown At0m :P ( i must admit i feel it is a more secure room to discuss 'stuff'

• Like 2

we used to have IRC as main chat room, but most members can't work out how to use it and apothecary would spent every second post explaining it. hence the effort to have a chat room on the server. other attempts have been problematic because of separate log ins etc, but this oen seems to work well.

I am not turning off the flood control fully and globally. you guys might not see the spammers, but that doesn't mean we don't have them. with floodcontrol a clean up after a bot takes an hour or so, but without it can take a full day. It serves no purpose in the chat room though so i will look at the advice above and will try to get rid of it there. maybe not tonight though - had a rather busy day.....

• Like 2

No one said anything about removing the shoutbox Amz, what I am suggesting is also embedding the lab.

This way people can have privacy and an intimate and smooth chat experience in the lab, or more casual banter/random comments in the shoutbox, which is what it is designed for.

simple really, and WIN/WIN

try now.

• Like 3

Perfect. Thank you :)

Thanks Torsten, nice work! :)

ignore this post :P

Edited by Distracted