The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Shrivelled Lophs

I am more concerend about the cold. Your area is pretty extreme. Could they have had frost or were they indoors? If outdoors then cold would be the main factor, and if indoors then humidity. Leaving cuttings in heated highlands air would dessicate them in days.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer any advice before this point for these plants. I also can't comment specifically on BFs current situation or the advice given.

But I live just down the road from Bread filters NSW friend and for me, living in this climate, as a general rule...

All cuttings should be big enough to form a callous without the need of moisture or humidity. If they are not big enough to form a callous they should be grafted.

If the cutting is small, calloused well and the weather is warm 'some' humidity is ok but without roots it can't take in any of the moisture and any dampness is inviting trouble.

If the cutting is small, calloused well and the weather is cold I keep all humidity and moisture as low as possible.

I have had many small (even tiny) pups form a callous and eventually develop roots.

The only thing I do with freshly cut lophs in winter is keep them dry and inside.

Edited by watertrade

I am more concerend about the cold. Your area is pretty extreme. Could they have had frost or were they indoors? If outdoors then cold would be the main factor, and if indoors then humidity. Leaving cuttings in heated highlands air would dessicate them in days.

They were inside on the window sill getting no direct sunlight.

They degrafts were calloused and fine when sent, some small yes but sizes I have no problems rooting out. The "detailed" instructions I apparently gave made no mention of anything other than sand which is what I use whn rooting out lophs. The others I had at the time were rooted in sand and some others in a soil mix then were greenhoused for a month or so before sitting on a verandah under a table due to having to move house. We get mad frost here and days in winter are cold. I take no responsibility for the obviously very poor care shown for the plants and hope bf can learn a lesson from his loss. I have however put an extra bakers dozen of rooted lophs in his most recent purchase so his collection will be not much changed. Please look after these ones bf and try getting some advice if you run into trouble well before they get beyond help. I cant do anything for stock once it has left my care as everyone should be well aware and poor care of plants or cuttings is not the fault of the seller whatsoever.

• Like 1

That is very generous of you to offer a replacement but it is not necessary. I have never once asked for anything other than advice.

I am sorry if I have upset you PD but I went to considerable lengths to keep your name out of this and have repeatedly stated that this is a rescue mission and not a character assassination. If you read through the thread you will find that it is other forum members that have brought you into this.

• Like 1

is not an offer it is a replacement for the ones that perished and was posted a few hours ago. :)

• Like 3

is not an offer it is a replacement for the ones that perished and was posted a few hours ago. :)

Thanks mate. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Again I am sorry to have started trouble for you. It was not intention at all.

I'd just like to send out a massive thank you to all the members that have contacted me offering to send me FREE Lophs. You guys are legends.

I am more than happy to buy them from you though. I feel that is fair.

Maybe try a few different variations to your techniques as it is not good to put all your eggs in one basket.

I have never grown lophs but I would also say the window sill is a very cold place for them in winter. Plants on window sills can easily be damaged by frost in frosty places like Canberra.

Sorry for my ignorance but why would one de-graft cacti when still so tiny? Wouldn't it be better to start with buttons around the size 10 cent coin minimum. Tiny plants are very delicate.

There are some really good people here BF. You kept your cool very nicely. :)

• Like 4

Maybe try a few different variations to your techniques as it is not good to put all your eggs in one basket.

I have never grown lophs but I would also say the window sill is a very cold place for them in winter. Plants on window sills can easily be damaged by frost in frosty places like Canberra.

Sorry for my ignorance but why would one de-graft cacti when still so tiny? Wouldn't it be better to start with buttons around the size 10 cent coin minimum. Tiny plants are very delicate.

There are some really good people here BF. You kept your cool very nicely. :)

Thanks Halcyon. That means a lot to me.

I wasn't aware that frost could effect things through a window. Thanks for the heads up.

PD asked me to upload these pictures of some degrafted lophs hes been growing as he has been having trouble accessing his account.

post-7384-0-80756600-1344931039_thumb.jp

post-7384-0-33561700-1344931044_thumb.jp

I havent been following the thread, but I got some degrafted lophs off PD about 12+ months ago, left them sitting in a styrofoam box for three months before planting them .. they have kicked off really well and showed no signs of shrivelling. I keep them in a crappy bunnings greenhouse these days.

All the best!

post-7384-0-80756600-1344931039_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-33561700-1344931044_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-80756600-1344931039_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-33561700-1344931044_thumb.jpg

PD asked me to upload these pictures of some degrafted lophs hes been growing as he has been having trouble accessing his account.

post-7384-0-80756600-1344931039_thumb.jp

post-7384-0-33561700-1344931044_thumb.jp

I havent been following the thread, but I got some degrafted lophs off PD about 12+ months ago, left them sitting in a styrofoam box for three months before planting them .. they have kicked off really well and showed no signs of shrivelling. I keep them in a crappy bunnings greenhouse these days.

All the best!

I'm pretty sure these are the 12 I bought from him last Friday :)

I'm pretty sure these are the 12 I bought from him last Friday :)

Yeah sorry, I just checked the SMS - he wanted me to post them to show that they had been growing at his place in cold ok and he couldnt see the pictures anywhere on SAB anymore. I wasn't paying close attention.

edit... wrong thread

Edited by tipz

Just opened my package from PD and am very impressed.

He included 15 extra rooted Lophs as a replacement free of charge. I am very happy especially seeing as I didn't ask for them and he sent them himself.

Massive thanks to PD.

• Like 2

I hope pd sorted out his account access troubles.

Wow you did well. I dream of purchases like that.

the 6 pack of loph graft, you got of me, would have been a dream purchase, maybe even a wet dream purchase, so you do get lucky at times

(all meant well, just a shamless self promotion attempt, on my behalve)!

• Like 1

the 6 pack of loph graft, you got of me, would have been a dream purchase, maybe even a wet dream purchase, so you do get lucky at times

(all meant well, just a shamless self promotion attempt, on my behalve)!

Unfortunately that was the one that got broken in the post that I told you about :(

They are struggling but I am far to scared to ask for any advice now on how to save them due to recent events.

Not trying to start anything with you in any way planthelper. Please don't misinterpret this message. I still have an olive branch waiting for you take the other end...

Unfortunately that was the one that got broken in the post that I told you about :(

They are struggling but I am far to scared to ask for any advice now on how to save them due to recent events.

Not trying to start anything with you in any way planthelper. Please don't misinterpret this message. I still have an olive branch waiting for you take the other end...

show us some pic's of the damage, once you have the time.

i'll be at my best behaviour, scout honor.

i'll grab the olive branch at the other end, right away, give me a minute or two.

• Like 1

show us some pic's of the damage, once you have the time.

i'll be at my best behaviour, scout honor.

i'll grab the olive branch at the other end, right away, give me a minute or two.

I feel very uncomfortable about this so will politely decline your very generous and welcoming offer.

I was forced to knock the snot out of someone last night to protect a team mate who was getting hurt and honestly the last thing I need right now is any kind of confrontation. I feel mortified enough over that as I detest violence.

Thanks for taking up the Olive branch too PH. Very big of you and sometimes very hard to do.

Cheers.

if the peres broke, try to re root the now shorter stump of the peres (i'v never done this).

if the peres is very short, it might still work, but i would rather regraft onto a pedro.

if you feel uncomfortable with the re grafting thing, cut the peres out, let the loph calluse, and than re root it, using searls seed raising mix.

even if you fail, you would gain experience. i'm sure those lophs will never shrivel up.

you can't loose because i will send you two replacement loph grafts (how many broke in transite?).

readers please note, those grafts broke in transport, i'm sure i packaged them well.

bf, has a postie from hell delivering.

Edited by planthelper

BF has a standard postie unfortunately, as an employee of australia post I see how careless they are with everything (at least here in Sydney anyway) so I would always advise over packaging your parcels as much as possible.

Edited by lhb2444