The Corroboree
gtarman

Best dirt mix for cactusses...

Hey guys. What do you usually use for your column cactus? I'm thinking I might try my hand at some cereus...

I'm planning to place the pot in a position that gets full sunlight until about 1pm.

Thanks guys :-)

Edited by gtarman

looks pretty good. I dont know about the compost though esp in high humidity.

does it really matter with tricho's? i thought they did pretty well in whatever, provided it's free draining or course. you could probably mix potting mix with sand and have them do just as well (thats all i do).

• Like 2

I'm sure they'd grow okay in many different mediums. There's even reports of them growing in clay..I'm just a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these sorts of things, and am mostly interested in the ideal situation.

To that end, I'm also thinking of adding some of this volcanic rock fertilizer to mimic the mineral-rich, volcanic soils of the Andes: http://goo.gl/2Mk5v

fair enough, my cacti growing motto is "treat 'em mean keep 'em keen" :uzi:

• Like 1

I'm in Brisbane, for trichs I use Searls premium potting mix and add paving sand. I have mine in terracotta and not massive pots so they dry out pretty quick but I am a heavy regular waterer. In summer I get black spot but not bad. Your mix will work I guess but really depends on your watering schedule and fertilising frequency etc? Also are the plants going to get rain or are they under cover?

They will get rain, but I'm gonna try and shield them from the more torrential downpours if I can. With the amount of rain we get here though I don't think I'll need to water too regularly (if at all)?

...But I'm not entirely sure, I haven't looked into the watering side of things too deeply yet.

If you can get cheap perlite, use it, always good for trichs. But qualia is right about potting mix ect. I have done fine with nothing but cheap potting mix, but i preffer perlite,coir peat, decent potting mix now days.

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

trichs are a funny thing, I water mine flat out, and they respond, keep them hot and allow them to dry out within 2 days or so and the growth is frightening.

• Like 2

Too much perlite , IMHO . . I find that it tends to work its way to the surface , when used in largish quantities . All the same , its good stuff . I also like to add coarse sand to the mix .

• Like 1

I vouch for pumice!

Pumice and potting mix works a treat for me.

But as others have said they should do well in almost anything.. And they seem to adore human attention!

• Like 4

Thanks for all your replies!

I won't be growing any from seed Stillman, just cuttings :)

And yeah, I've heard a lot of complaints about perlite floating to the surface of the pot with watering...I don't see how that could be good for the soil structure. I have heard that pumice stays put though so that might be the way to go.

Also, for anyone who's interested, I got the formula for the above soil mix from SacredCactus.com - the owner there is an accomplished cultivator and seems to be quite knowledgable :)

http://www.sacredcac...g_soil_2008.htm

I reckon that Trout's books - in respect to the wealth of knowledge , data , and teks therein - are utterly awesome , and have way exceeded my pre - purchase expectations . I don't see how they can be profitable for KT , considering their low purchase price , and the quality of the books themselves . . . In reference to the " Sacred Cacti " site and business , these are ignorant people indeed , who consider themselves " experts " , but would never contemplate experiencing the gnostic charms and spiritual knowledge of these wondrous plants . Furthermore . these ignoramii are scornful and derisive of those folk with this sacred knowledge . That one of these opinionated fools operates a business and web - site called " Sacred Cacti " demonstrates to me their ludicrous hypocracy , but also nevertheless , a desire to profit form ethno - folk ; who are mocked and derided as " cactus eaters " . These idiots , and other dissatisfied customers on Mycotopia site , have complained about the black and white photos in the book , without or barely mentioning the text , which is extremely comprehensive . And anyway , the title is " Trout' Notes " , not photos . . One thing that everyone can agree upon is that the Trichocereus genus is hopelessly confused , and the occurance of hybridisation is extensive . .Trout attempts to clarify the taxonomy , but in reality it is impossible . I think that Trout's Notes , San Pedro and related species , is an excellent reference book and the knowledge and wisdom therein is a bargain . The same goes for all of Trout's literature . And SST is all in colour [ !! ] , for those who are more concerned about the photos than the comprehensive texts . Their slogan : " more than you need to know ... " . is indeed quite apt , IMO .

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

^^ may be true for all I know, I didn't really look at the dude or his opinions on the "ethno" side of things too closely.

All I'm really paying attention to is that he grows a lot of Tricho's and seems to have a good grasp of how to make potting soil haha.

I found that site a few years ago and back then he was recommending a soil mix with 50% perlite (I couldn't see that page from a quick look at his site today). I tried that recipe and works OK, it dries out very fast which is good in the cool wetter months, but you really need to keep the water up to it in summer.

You have to admit that his soil mixes are finished compost, unlike the commercial shit they sell at a lot of places today. Most commercial potting mix is half finished compost that is not the best long term mix for a cactus.

Searles being an exception. Their mixes are always top notch.

• Like 1

How anyone could be happier with growing pc pachanoi than a swarm of hybrids is beyond me.

He even has a dig at xbreed dogs! One of the most anti diversty, nature and life in general rants I've ever had the displeasure of reading. bit sad that people actually feel that way about the world around them

true san Pedro!

mix seems ok.

• Like 1

How anyone could be happier with growing pc pachanoi than a swarm of hybrids is beyond me.

He even has a dig at xbreed dogs! One of the most anti diversty, nature and life in general rants I've ever had the displeasure of reading. bit sad that people actually feel that way about the world around them

true san Pedro!

mix seems ok.

Yeah it's all quite bizarre.

He calls his site sacred cactus but he's doesn't approve of their sacred use.

It seems a bit hypocritical to me.

• Like 3

I stumbled upon his site a few years ago and formed the opinion that he was a twat and now after going back and having another look I think if you had a great pile of twat's he would be very close to the top. :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 3

Well, regardless of whether the guy is right or wrong (he's quite wrong sometimes IMO), his heart is mostly in the right place. He is espousing the growing of the plants for their beauty (not just aesthetic beauty). That to me is perfectly respectable.

He's just confused in that he's comparing mesca to being some form of crack. He's probably an older guy (or woman?) that has swallowed a lifetime of US-spec propaganda and is just unable to realize it.

He also operates:

http://www.trichocereus.com/

That wasn't how i read it. He was to me saying that preserving clones 'true to type' had somehow more value than seed grown. And compared hybrids to dogs at the spca, meaning inferior to pure strains in some scary way. I hope I misunderstood!

that photo in cbls post have 18 to get rid of tryin to load photo cheers wanting to trade they over 70cm each cheers kate

Who know's what his reasons are for distancing himself from the drug culture, maybe he lives in a county with a arsehole for a sheriff or has a problem with the hispanic drug culture and he's trying to separate himself from that. It could be anything.

He does have nice plants though.

His attitude towards trout could be just his personality type "my dick's bigger than yours" sort of thing and he's using any means possible to give himself that sense of one upmanship. Some of Trout's earlier work did leave a bit to be desired in some respects, but that twat couldn't hold a candle to Trout these days so he's just bignoting himself. I don't see any real botinacal information on his site either mainly just lots of pics that aren't sorted or classified properly so he is a hypocryte.

I agree with him on one level that a stock of known pure genotypes need to be maintained, but not to the exclusion of hybrids. Hybrids are largely responsible for the vast array of colours/forms that we see across all types of horticulture these days.

I think the pure strains are valuable for reference and back crossing to fix traits etc.

He's a bit of tosser but he does have nice plants.

• Like 3