The Corroboree
Bigred

Tips for NOOBS

can i get a link ? i cant seem to find it ? Unless your talking about the spore trading thread, which i have nothing to trade

edit: if your talking about free seed ring australia, the site seems rather dead

Edited by BentoSpawn

i only grow edible mushrooms i think this thread should be strictly about it i dont want to get in to trouble nor get any one else either spores are great to look at but once you have seen one cube you have seen them all i get great joy out of growing my own portabelos and oysters i am getting ready to get some shitake logs inoculated now the weather is getting warmer so would love some tips i have alot of chinese elms around would they work

so would love some tips

use full-stops.

• Like 3

sorry im not up to your grammar standards, do you go around pointing out people's illiteracies. does it make you feel better about yourself or was that all you had to offer this thread.

• Like 1

easy there Red. There was no malice intended. :)

Its just easier to read if you put a few breaks in there, and in a thread thats about providing information

for people, thats gotta be a help yeah.

peace.

• Like 2

fermenting substrate is a great way to sterilise substrate i know we have spoken one the musts of a pressure cooker. I tried this tek and i am on my 5 day of growth

and i see lots of mycelium and no contaminants so i am kind of eating my words its a great tek basicly you soak the wood chips seed mix and empty the water and then inoculate i guess all the dead anaerobic organisms feeds the mycelium. the way to know you have done is by the smell it smells rank at the start but then turns to a sweet sour and while its fermenting scrape the yeast hypae off the top layer .

try your hand at agar. it really is quite simple and will let you see problems much earlier. All of my first grows failed due to bacterial contaminants of the spores prints. Without agar i would still be looking at stalled out jars turning to mush.

• Like 1

i also enjoy putting a 1/3 of a cup off vermiculite to a quart jar i find it really helps with moisture problems when using wbs

We were having a big conversion the other day in chat about pressure cookers where we were comparing a couple of different pressure cookers.

All american pressure cookers are widely accepted at being the best pressure cookers around - they use a metal seal and have a high level of construction, these things will last years and years with very little maintenance. Basically they are built like a tank. They are $200 on Amazon.com, the total cost of getting them shipped to perth is $270.01 for a "All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner". This pressure cooker is 20.35L.

A "Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker" is another decent quality pressure cooker, but not as great as the infamous All American pressure cooker. They will require a bit more maintainance, especially when it comes to replacing the rubber seal. The cost of the Presto is muuuuch more friendly on the wallet however comming in at $75 or $112.62 delivered to your doorstep. For this price you could buy 2 Presto's for every 1 All American pressure cooker. This pressure cooker is 21.77L

Aussie mushrooms charged me $190 for my presto and lead me to believe i needed to buy the 15psi weight regulator which was another $20, even tho the cooker came with one .

So all up i paid $210 and now ive got 2 15psi pressure regulators.

I wish id done some more research and found these cheaper prices.

Aussie mushrooms presto price is now $160 so its dropped since i purchased mine

But thats a massvie mark up on the $112.62 BentoSpawn speaks of

Dont get ripped off like i did.

I also bought 'gamma sterilised' inoculation loops from aussie mushroom supplies -- they were just in a plastic ziplock bag -- wtf?

and karo is like 16 bucks rip off the link jonny deformed show these English made ones look tough as. I use the presto and i love it i paid a bit much but looks like its going to last a while. I have the small kmart job and its great for agar it has a timer on it save loading the big boy up for just a couple of plates

It would be awesome if SAB stocked all the basic gear Aussie Mushrooms does.

Id be alot happier paying the same prices knowing the profits where going to SAB and Wandjina Gardens.

So I did a bit of experimentation with agar and LC's using only steam sterilization

I did 8 jars 3were just karo syrup and water the rest were agar with some karo for some nutrients

The agar ones I used for tissue cultures and the LC's were filled with a spore syringe

Note also the tissue cultures were done with wild mushrooms using the newly discovered and still unnamed psilocybe

We found a couple years bak

(please note this may seem like incrimination by stating that I am using a possible or wat I consider to be a definate psilocybe this is all being done for identification and study purposes only they are completely unidentifieds at this point)

The jars were simply filled about a 3rd of the way and placed in my big steaming pot just like BRF cakes

Steamed for 90 mins and then left cool before going into the glove box

Now here's were it gets rather interesting the fruits are extremely small

and trying to get clean pieces of tissue from inside proved to be very very hard

I managed to get one jar with clean tissue another had stem butts placed in there (completely unclean)

I even took a piece of horse shit they were growing from broke it in half

and scraped wat I thought should be a fairly clean chunk from inside

Another jar had pieces of fruit placed inside there a couple of small pieces of cap and a stem cut in half

Other jars had spores pumped straight into them

NOW this is we're it gets really really interesting these jars are now all at least 3 weeks old probly closer to 4 And THRIVING :)

NO CONTAMS AT ALL

Haven't lost a single jar :)

Try it out guys

I think this shows that steaming is a perfectly viable option for agar and again shows how a pressure cooker is not a complete necessity especially for noobs experiment guys experiment :)

Edited by myco
  • Like 3

Wow i would have never guessed you could take myc from wild poo and not get contams!

• Like 1

That is really interesting here is another good tip, A bail of hay fits perfectly into a wheelie bin and you can wheel it around

• Like 1

are you sure its mushroom mycelium i had a few jars that were perfectly white then bam contaminated

I assume your talking to me there bigred82

If so yes I am very much sure it is all mushroom mycelium

I know you can get white contams and this is not contams pure myc :)

I'll see wat I can do about getting some pics to show

I still don't have my macro lens so it might be a little difficult to get close enough to see aswell as the fact that they are in jars

wich could prove a little difficult to get a shot through

but I'll give it a go and try post some pics up so you guys can see exactly wat I have done :)

i didn't mean to under mine you :lol: but i had a few jars that looked awesome and it was mold of some sort fully shattered me. could it be a strong strain i wonder able to fight off contams i have trouble uploading pics reckons if they are under 2mb its fine but it will only accept pics under 1mb any one know how to fix this

There is a lightweight program called Irfanview that pretty mich any PC user should be using as their default picture viewing program.

Its capable of batch file resizing, automatic resizing to fit a certain file size and lots of other simple yet incredibly useful features. Download it then google "irfan veiw batch resize" to learn how to resize all your pics at once.

Its a very popular program for many very good reasons ! Opens up pics VERY quickly which makes it ideal as your default pic veiwing program :)

• Like 1

using vegimite in exchange for malt extract works great

Tips for Noobs: Sell your mushrooms for an exhorbitant fee. I saw a guy today at North Sydney community markets, he was selling oysters for $5/100g ! He had a lot different varieties, and I wanted to chat with him, but he was too keen to sell his fruit to me, so I told him to get stuffed. Soon, my friend, Psylo will dust off the marquee and undercut you out of town bwarrrrr harrrr harrrrrrrrr

• Like 3

Hey Red, can you give some advice on the TeePee grow? I had some leftover grain spawn, so I pulled the centre out of a few bog rolls, soaked with boiling water, added grain in the middle when cooled or 24 hours, and stuck them in shipping bags to colonise. My gut feeling is that I should spray the grain to dampen it. What have you done previously with this unusual tek?

i pulled out the middle and soaked it then pasteurized it in a oven bag once cool i carefully opened it and pored spawn in the middle of the roll .

after about ten days it was fully colonized then put in a shot gun chamber to fruit . i dont think you should spray the grains just let it adsorb water through the roll and once it is colonized put it on some whet perlite in your grow box and let it adsorb it through capilary action. sorry i

can't be any more help mine have just started to pin .but will update when i fully understand the tek i reckon its a great way to grow oysters considering to do a tek for sab .

Edited by bigred82