The Corroboree
altenate

Alzheimer's & ethnogens?

I am currently trying to find some peer reviewed research on Alzheimers & specifically the use of ethnogens to ideally prevent( one could only hope), maintain (not the right word - I dont want to maintain the condition !), reduce , aid in, alleviate or even treat this condition.

I remember reading a paper on psylocibe containing mushrooms & something on ayahuasca in regards to this ( some years ago, which I cant find at the moment), but wondering if there is research out there about the specifc tryptamines,plants, modes of action etc etc.

Kinda looking for referenced info.

I have had a quick look through the forums but maybe missed some info...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also not sure if this is the right forum, so can be moved if need be....

Thanks

I can't upload files larger than 2 mb so here's a link to an absolutely awesome book - as soon as i saw this thread I was reminded of this book. It's not peer reviewed research, and I can't remember the specifics because its a while since I've read it, but I distinctly recall reading about alzheimers in it, its absolutely well worth a look http://www.indiandre...balMedicine.pdf

SAB - This book is out of print, so I dunno what copyright laws apply, but get it while it's linked - you want this book and I'll only have it up here briefly for you to 'try before you buy' :wink:

Edited by IndianDreaming
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting reading.

Huge thanks IndianDreaming.

That is one awesome book. - never knew it existed....Glad its in my collection now

I remember reading a few articles about the effects of cannabis on Alzheimer's, apparently it was shown to be quite helpful for memory in older patients (that didn't spend their whole life smoking it) going to try and find the articles was a pretty interesting read.

Do you mean alzheimers in the clinical sense or alzheimers in the common-usage of the word?

As I understand it, in common lay discourse there are 3 groups of brain diseases called "alzheimers disease":

Genuine Alzheimer's Disease, which can be diagnosed only after death

Vascular Dementia, like heart disease of the brain

Mixed Dementia, some of both

Most cases fall into either vascular dementia or mixed dementia, an important consideration if your searching scientific articles for helpful information. Dont neglect consideration of cardiovascular disease.

Good luck with your studies

Brain Science Podcast #68: Alzheimer's Disease with Dr. Peter Whitehouse

(neurologist & author of The Myth of Alzheimer's: What You Aren't Being Told About Today's Most Dreaded Diagnosis)

Alzheimer's Disease originally referred to a relatively rare form of premature dementia, but in recent decades the diagnosis has been expanded to include patients of all ages. This change is not based on science and in this interview we talk about why being labeled with with Alzheimer's may be doing older patients more harm than good.

---

Sorry I'm not replying to the original post. Just something I heard recently and thought it might be interesting to others here. The book name "myth of alzheimer's" is only referring to misconceptions around the topic

I read an an interesting article many years ago ; sorry but cannot recall the author's name , etc . The gist of it was that because of our refusal to buy fruit or vegies with blemishes , we are missing out on essential brain micro nutrients that are in the various moulds and other pests that cause the imperfections . The commercial requirement for perfect and unblemished horticultural produce is eliminating these essential micro nutrients from our diet , and as such is contributing to cognitive degeneration . In other words , the spots and " pests " on organic produce are actually good for us . . . No doubt there are many factors that conspire to cause brain degeneration . Aluminium cookware has been said to be a major culprit , as has aluminium in deodourants , etc . . I understand that " Hydergine " ,[ created by Albert Hoffman ], is derived from ergot , aka " Rye Smut " .

Edited by Major Tom