The Corroboree
Jonstn

First forest walk of the year

Finally got out for a nice stroll in the forest, love just booting around taking pics seeing what the happenings are. So much fungi popping up, a lot of subs could hardly take a step without treding on them at some stages.

Here's some pics didnt have a good camera but you get the idea :)

11877fbb.jpg

a7fa243d.jpg

66f0822e.jpg

7256e867.jpg

254304ef.jpg

f070db81.jpg

beded4e5.jpg

d1de1ac2.jpg

Heres the stretch, good 70 meters, they don't pop up anywhere else around the area its weird.

cc5edf83.jpg

7ee2d94f.jpg34244a66.jpg

d01ec52e.jpg

af5d9fcd.jpg

And if anyone could give some insight to what the following ones are that would be sweet :) just for curiosities sake:

09d87416.jpg

ad49e293.jpg

ecb93db6.jpg

ac411c19.jpg

6d4cf50c.jpg80564559.jpg

Internet is bunging out atm will upload some more pics tomorrow hopefully :) itching to get back out again so much fresh air and so peaceful :)

• Like 3

those first few have got mighty dark stems :o

• Like 1

First forest walk for the year???, Your missing out! :)

I like seeing the spores on the cap when a few subs grow right alongside each other.

:)

• Like 1

There were a fair few with stems like that and darker, don't think anyone else goes around that area so they sit around for a fair while, quite a few that were complete black mush.

First forest walk for the year???, Your missing out! :) I like seeing the spores on the cap when a few subs grow right alongside each other. :)

!! Me too it looks sweet when they poop spores on each other, photos never do the detail justice :(

Yeah I'm pretty dissapointed that this is the first time I've managed to get out going to have more time for the next half of the year some hoping to get out a lot more :)

is there a problem with dark stems? i always assumed it was from spores dropping...obviously older species go black and mushy but is there something wrong with dark stems? e.g bad for you?

I wouldn't say so I think it's just from moisture/weather (someone correct me if I'm wrong) heaps of weather damaged ones too the area had some pretty epic storms the past few weeks

is there a problem with dark stems? i always assumed it was from spores dropping...obviously older species go black and mushy but is there something wrong with dark stems? e.g bad for you?

I think Negative Dave was thinking more in terms of ID (?), like the stems are pretty dark for subs. I thought the same thing too at first.

:)

I like how shrooms get us out into nature for fresh air and peace.

Th.

Second that!

Any ideas what the first two pics would be? They had same color gills, cap etc as the usual subs found around the area the o ly thing that was different was the stem, pic makes it look a fair bit darker then they actually were. Might have to go back and grab a print of a couple see if there's some differences there :)

Yeah I'm pretty dissapointed that this is the first time I've managed to get out going to have more time for the next half of the year some hoping to get out a lot more

Hey jonstn, from memory you live some distance from me, but this weekend i am going on a bit of a forage deep south of the fleurieu peninsula. If you want to come along I have a spare seat but i dont think it will be a productive hunt. But beautifull scenery and fresh air anyway ( and It's always good to meet another SAB'er ).

I think that this season is coming to a close unfortunately ( and I can assure you that as winter closes and spring arrives the next half of the year will be VERY unproductive ). Not too many pins showing and I will be expecting older and decaying specimens mainly. Have to get active a month or two earlier next year.

But either way If you would like to tag along you are more than welcome. Chuck me a pm if your interested. I am sure it will be fruitfull either way ;)

out of interest, were you anywhere near the vicinity of second valley/deep creek/delamere ? kind of looks familiar.

I'd be keen as if I didn't have to work :angry: sounds like its be an awesome weekend productive or not :) cheers for the offer though, been hanging to meet more SABers! If you're planning any more give us the heads up and I'll try and get some time off ;)

Hopefully will still get another good trek or two out before everything turns to complete poo, last year the same spot only started fruiting half way through winter it was odd, not sure if it's to do with location as this place is a bit north of where people usually hunt.

out of interest, were you anywhere near the vicinity of second valley/deep creek/delamere ? kind of looks familiar.

Nah buddy it's only about 20 mins away from me :)

Here are all the photo's from today's pick jonstn.

Too many photo's to upload so I will just link you to the album i uploaded. Got a little sideways so some of the photo's seem a little random. found ( and left - of course ) very little subs ( maybe a hundred or so...but got a little sidetracked so could have found more if we were trying ). But amanitas everywhere. Found the biggest one i have ever seen.

Have a flick through if you want. http://s1084.photobu...20deep%20south/

Edited by tipz
  • Like 2

Some really lovely photos and what a great amount of fungi to find. Here I was thinking it'd be too late in the season and you wouldn't see much but it's been a terrific season. Some of those spots you went to are very pretty indeed.

I had never heard of the Fleurieu peninsula before. Does Kuitpo officially fall within the Fleurieu or is that a little further away?

Didn't happen to stumble across any of those illusive porcini though :(

Edited by NSF

Kuitpo forest is a fair way inland from the tip of the peninsula, but i believe It is still technically situated within It's borders.

We were hunting right down near the foot of the peninsula. For a rough idea in the vicinity of second valley, delamere and deep creek.

No porcinis that day, but i have found many close-by before. Definitely a beautifull location. Some magickal spots indeed.

post-9715-0-76735600-1342398492_thumb.gi

post-9715-0-76735600-1342398492_thumb.gif

post-9715-0-76735600-1342398492_thumb.gif

You've found porcini?!

I'd consider handing over my left one to know one or two of those locations! :P

Any pics?

What I actually thought were Porcini Nsf. Until i just googled them and realised what I am picking, ( although edible ) is completely different.

I am terrible with my I.D's when it comes to mushrooms. I know of maybe four types i come across that are edible and one that glows in the dark and don't really know the names of any of them. I just know they are edible because of handed down knowledge. ( so sorry about the misinformation ) It is my local actives i can positively I.D ( and name ) with confidence.

But they are in the Adelaide hills.http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com/2011/03/australias-first-locally-grown-porcini-mushrooms-found-in-adelaide-hills/

So were you finding Suillus granulatus, Suillus luteus or Phlebopus marginatus? Maybe Leccinum scabrum?

I know there are porcini in the Adelaide hills but because they fetch such a good price the spots are very guarded secrets. Yes, you can buy them in Adelaide markets these days. I'm a Victorian resident and I just want to road trip over there and feel the excitement of finding porcini! I'd help pick them, then maybe buy a few and cook them right there in the forest.

There's zero chance of anyone sharing their known spots though.

A guy on shroomery had some nice porcini finds up in the hills, was fair jealous hahaha.

Those are some sweet pics btw, that amanita is enormous!! the Graf looks awesome too, sounds like you had a pretty sweet day :)